• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SF restaurant help

kiliki

I'm thinking of giving a restaurant gift certificate to my little brother for his 30th bday. He isn't a foodie, but he's just been laid off and would appreciate taking his girlfriend out to a nice dinner, I think. Can anyone recommend a restaurant in the Haight-Ashbury area (they don't have a car, and they live on the street that runs along the south side of the Golden Gate Park panhandle-I THINK Haight-Asbury is their neighborhood), maybe something bistro like, upscale/casual, where a couple could get dinner and a couple glasses of wine for under $100?

My most-trusted foodie friend in the city says this:

Not much on Haight itself, but just beyond the Haight, in Cole Valley (walking distance) is Eos, a very well regarded place. At least I think it's still there. That would be a good bet.

EOS website: warning: their web designer doesn't know how to to rotate photographs, so be prepared to crane your neck.

Eos was my first thought, as well, but I've never been there, so can't give a first-hand recommendation, either. Lord knows it's true there's not much on Haight. They can get to a lot of stuff on public transportation. Trouble with that is, if they're unemployed, they'll probably have to rely on public transportation rather than a cab to get home, and that can really harsh the buzz of a nice evening out.

I'll keep thinking... I'm not stumped yet!

Cheers,

Squeat

(That street running south of the Panhandle is Oak, by the way. Come to think of it, they can walk to Hayes Valley! Okay, I'll definitely be back with more suggestions. I'm so hungry I can't think right now)

Cafe Rigio on Geary? They had Rafanelli on the wine list!

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

YES YES YES YES YES. Go to Justine Miner's restaurant. God, I had forgotten she was in the Haight.

RNM website. (RNM is in honor of her father, who died quite young: those are his initials.)

She did one of the five (only five) perfect Outstanding in the Field farm dinners: Swanton Farm dinner with Justine Miner. Her dishes were just fantastic, and she could handle the outdoor grill, which is not something that all chefs can do.

I love what Patricia Unterman wrote about her. Including this: "Right now I would drive across town just to sit in front of Miner's calm kitchen and work my way through the menu."

I endorse this idea completely. MsMelkor, I thank you for your good suggestion. (Kiliki, would you e-mail me at tana@tanabutler.com? I'd love to give you a little bit more info.)

I recently went back to EOS after not having been there for about 2 years. They've moved to more of a small plate concept, which pairs nicely with their wine offerings. They do flights of wines, which allow you to sample 3 different vintages. And always, their famous bananamisu is very tasty.

If they are not foodies but like a more of a raucous atmosphere, there's always Cha Cha Cha at the end of the Haight near Golden Gate Park. Although in rereading your post, it sounds like you'd like to treat him to something more upscale than that.

I have heard good things about RNM, but have not had a chance to go there yet.

• 4 months later...

<bump>

based on tanabutler's ringing endorsement and sick amounts of other factor-based-research, (budget, location, timing etc) - i've got a reservation at RNM on friday evening. has anyone been lately - can you offer a recommendation?

many thanks!

i'm also hoping to hit ferry market on saturday. if at all possible, i'll disappear into the hog whatever oyster place, but i'll be with family. is there another (potentially squalling child-friendly) place in that area you'd suggest for lunch/brunch? thanks!

edited because i was wondering why no one had replied to my query. so i reread it and realized that i cleverly avoided mentioning WHERE i was going. so i added it and bolded it. now, hopefully - someone who has been can weigh in. apologies for being a dingbat.

Edited by reesek (log)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Cafe Rigio on Geary? They had Rafanelli on the wine list!

Yeah, I second Cafe Rigio. They serve some solid Italian fare and the owner, John Rigio, a second or third generation restaurateur from Chicago, is a pretty nice guy.