• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London on Sunday

What's the best restaurant for great, creative food in a nice (but not overly stuffy) atmosphere that's open on Sunday? I'm looking for creative/modern British or Continental cuisine, not traditional British or French (not that there's anything wrong with those; I just prefer something more unusual). The best I've found is Gordon Ramsay at Claridge's, but that seems like a shame since RHR sounds better and I could go during the week. But Sunday is my only chance to dine with my wife.

Thanks!

Bruce

(from Seattle)

I think the Capital is open on Sunday, isn't it (the website doesn't seem to say)? If so, I think that's a good bet.

I've only been there once, but had a great time. The food describes itself as 'French influenced', i.e., modern European. It also seems to be a favourite of other eGullet members (there's a couple of threads I think, although I can't find them at the moment).

PS Rhodes in the Square no longer exists

Its a shame about this. I went here for my birthday several years ago and thought it was outstanding. I was a bit surprised at its emptiness at the time. Its poor location probably hindered its success - though I did hear that it was a favourite lunch place for Millbank types... (you know who I mean :wink: ).

• 1 year later...

I'm meeting a friend flying in from California, at the end of October. We have just one chance to eat out on a Sunday night. Any suggestions for something light and tasting within reasonable distance of Paddington?

Many thanks

Danielle Ellis

Edinburgh Scotland

www.edinburghfoody.com

Sunday nights can seem to be a bit of a chore, you are stuck with a choice of chain restarants or hotel restaurants. what kind of meal are you after, one thet is just good cooking but doesn't distract from you conversation, (after all you will be catching up with your friend), or one where the quality of meal & service will affect your conversation (and wallet) for the evening?

after all these years in a kitchen, I would have thought it would become 'just a job'

but not so, spending my time playing not working

www.e-senses.co.uk

if you want lebanese /persian edgware road maroush is pretty good.

if notting hill not too far out there quite a lot down there

electric brasseire is lovely, osteria basilico and mediterrano are good italians too.

Toward Warwick Avenue Waterway and the Formosa dining rooms are both very nice pubs with excellent restaurant.

haven't been in years but Red pepper used to one of the best pizza/ italian in town.

Bayswater ? some good chinese and persian restaurants mandarin kitchen, royal china, fortune cookie :) and hafez and alounak.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

I had an excellent dinner a couple of weeks ago at La Trompette in Chiswick. Its a buzzy informal atmosphere, reasonably priced for London at £32.50, but with very good service and food. The new chef James Bennington has maintained or even raised the standards a little. It will take you about 20 minutes by tube (Turnham Green) but you are at least the right side of London. I should disclose that I know the owner.

• 3 weeks later...

Leaving Thursday for Europe. The last night of my first trip to Europe will be in London, November 20th. It will be my first opportunity to see any of London. I'd like to do what I can to have a memorable, enjoyable last meal before my flight out the next day.

Can anyone recommend a place for dinner that is open on Sunday?

Any ideas for breakfast/brunch on Monday?

I get in at 4:45 pm Sunday and leave 1:45 pm Monday.

I'd love to do a boat tour but I don't think there's enough time to do so Monday morning. The ferris wheel Sunday night was recommended to me.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Also, if you can tell me what "zone" things are in, this can help me determine where I need to find a place to stay Sunday night.

Thanks in advance...

Racine in Knightsbridge is open on Sundays - very central and superb food. Not too expensive compared to some of the top end eateries (most of which are closed for Sunday dinner). That's in zone 1, a 10 minute walk from either South Kensington or Knightsbridge tube.

Kensington Place will also be open. That's in Notting Hill, 2 minutes walk from Notting Hill Gate in an interesting part of town. What kind of budget were you thinking of?

If you are on the South Bank (for the London Eye) then an option with an amazing view is the Oxo Tower Brasserie, but I'm not a great fan of the food there. It's fine, but you really feel that a significant mark-up is added to everything for the location.

For brunch, try The Wolseley, if you're feeling flush or you have any space left on your credit card. It's very central, on Piccadilly, 5-10 minutes walk from Piccadilly Circus and close to the Piccadilly line tube stop so you can get to Heathrow (if you're going by tube).

Have a great time!

Sarah

Sarah

It might be helpful if you could give a bit more information about what sort of food or sights you are particularly interested in.

Since you have such a short time you might want to think about places which can combine sight-seeing with dinner - e.g Le Pont de la Tour or Blueprint Cafe don't have the best food in London but have great views of Tower Bridge, The Admiralty scores for its setting in Somerset House and is handy for the Eye.

(Sorry - I just checked and The Admirality isn't open Sunday evening.)

Edited by Janice (log)

Racine in Knightsbridge is open on Sundays - very central and superb food. Not too expensive compared to some of the top end eateries (most of which are closed for Sunday dinner). That's in zone 1, a 10 minute walk from either South Kensington or Knightsbridge tube.

For brunch, try The Wolseley, if you're feeling flush or you have any space left on your credit card. It's very central, on Piccadilly, 5-10 minutes walk from Piccadilly Circus and close to the Piccadilly line tube stop so you can get to Heathrow (if you're going by tube).

Have a great time!

Sarah

I would second Sarh's recommendations of Racine for dinner and The Wolseley for a daylight meal. The latter is just west of The Ritz.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Keep the suggestions coming... I will look more closely tonight. If anyone seconds any recommendations, feel free to speak up.

Janice, I know so little about London that when I started to try to figure it out, it all became very overhwelming on top of the logistics of the trip until the end. This is why I got desperate and posted here in hopes of advice. London has way to much to offer for me to decide in 30 minutes.

I don't know where anything is or where they would be in relation to each other and I still need to reserve a place to stay. So long as I don't miss my flight back to the states, I'm open to suggestions and if anyone wants to join me for something, PM me.

Because I'm leaving quite literally in three days, I'm quickly running out of time to do thorough research and still get everything else in order before I leave.

At this point, if there is a suggestion to do anything Sunday night or early Monday (keep in mind it's the off season so things aren't running as early I found with a boat tour) that involves skyline, I would love that. Seeing as much as possible in the most efficient manner sounds like a good plan. I don't need a five star three hour meal, but a recommendation on what to see and do along with a good local place to stop and get some tasty sustenance would be most helpful. And if logistics are efficient, this would obviously be best.

Edited by mudbug (log)

• 1 year later...

We're staying in London a week on Sunday, near Waterloo Station. Looking for reccos for restaurants that open on Sunday evenings. Mid-price, and hopefully with a good wine list. Happy to take a cab but don't want to travel huge distances as we have a long journey the next day. Any ideas?