• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trio Atelier - Evanston IL

Pugman

Happily, Janet Fuller seems to have commandeered Pat Bruno's column this week (we can only hope that the coup is permanent) and she's penned a nice, informative piece about Trio and Henry:

No more tomorrows for Trio

The final meal at Trio will be a $100-a-person champagne reception. Here's what will be served, with the name of the chef who created each dish:

Croque monsieur (Dale Levitski)

Lobster mashed potatoes (Rick Tramonto)

Sauteed sea scallops with oxtail (Shawn McClain)

Black truffle explosion (Grant Achatz)

Parmesan cheesecake, focaccia, chocolate candy bars (Mary McMahon)

Root beer float (Gale Gand)

Chocolate napoleon (Elissa Narrow and Della Gossett)

Passionfruit soup with coconut mousse (Paula Haney)

Vienna Beef hot dogs, with fries (Henry Adaniya)

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Happily, Janet Fuller seems to have commandeered Pat Bruno's column this week (we can only hope that the coup is permanent) and she's penned a nice, informative piece about Trio and Henry:

No more tomorrows for Trio

The final meal at Trio will be a $100-a-person champagne reception. Here's what will be served, with the name of the chef who created each dish:

Croque monsieur (Dale Levitski)

Lobster mashed potatoes (Rick Tramonto)

Sauteed sea scallops with oxtail (Shawn McClain)

Black truffle explosion (Grant Achatz)

Parmesan cheesecake, focaccia, chocolate candy bars (Mary McMahon)

Root beer float (Gale Gand)

Chocolate napoleon (Elissa Narrow and Della Gossett)

Passionfruit soup with coconut mousse (Paula Haney)

Vienna Beef hot dogs, with fries (Henry Adaniya)

=R=

That is a nice lineup. I wonder if the hot dogs will be condiment'd Chicago style or Adaniya style.

As long as I don't forget my camera, consider it done. :wink::smile:

=R=

For the sake of those who won't be able to attend, you should have your camera stapled to your side that morning just in case!! :laugh:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Cool! I just caught a segment on the Channel 5 News (WMAQ) about the event at Trio tonight. We did notice a camerman there for a portion of the evening. It was a great time -- bittersweet to be sure -- but a warm vibe hummed throughout the place. There's no question that Henry is going to succeed at whatever he does, so the sadness was solely for the restaurant, not for the man who worked tirelessly to maintain its excellence.

The 'good' news is that I did remember my camera. The bad news is that I'm a lousy photog. Nonetheless, here are a few pictures from the evening. Except for the "cold" assortment plates, chefs appear below the dishes they prepared . . .

gallery_3085_2603_238776.jpg

Roast beast. Not sure exactly sure what this was, but it was delicious, rare and tender.

gallery_3085_2603_153110.jpg

Canapes. One was like savory shortbread with aioli, the other was, I think, a quinelle of mousse atop a slice of baguette.

gallery_3085_2603_88624.jpg

Cheese. Nice assortment. The round one in the center was delicious as was the cake-like item on the left.

gallery_3085_2603_24188.jpg

Octopus with white beans and creme fraiche. The octopus was stellar.

gallery_3085_2603_12583.jpg

Grant Achatz's legendary Black Truffle Explosion. The one on the left is complete. I'll confess that I had more than one tonight and I felt downright giddy about it.

gallery_3085_2603_136270.jpg

Grant Achatz of Alinea signs for a fan while his sous, Jeff, keeps things going.

gallery_3085_2603_123209.jpg

Exquisite Croque monsieur by Trio's final chef, Dale Levitski. I can't wait to learn where he resurfaces and I really hope it's in Chicago.

gallery_3085_2603_92296.jpg

Chef Dale Levitski

gallery_3085_2603_86188.jpg

Rick Tramonto's signature (one of them, anyway) Lobster Mashed Potatoes, served "up." The potatoes were creamy and buttery; the lobster, which had been sauteed in butter, was rich and tender.

gallery_3085_2603_28664.jpg

Chef Rick Tramonto of Tru (left) and crew.

gallery_3085_2603_18980.jpg

Gale Gand's famous Root Beer Float. Delcious, creamy, rich . . . so nice, I had it twice.

gallery_3085_2603_83823.jpg

Chef Gale Gand of Tru

gallery_3085_2603_107429.jpg

Sauteed Sea Scallop with Oxtail by Shawn McClain. That scallop was oh-so-tender and the braised oxtail was amazingly flavorful and tender.

gallery_3085_2603_67703.jpg

Chef Shawn McClain of Spring, Green Zebra and Custom House.

gallery_3085_2603_57444.jpg

Light and savory Parmesan Cheesecakes by Trio's Pastry Chef Mary McMahon. These were fabulous as was the focaccio (not pictured). The Trio chocolate bars, also turned out by Ms. McMahon, are on our hall table awaiting their consumption.

gallery_3085_2603_116065.jpg

Chef Mary McMahon and her #1, Tony.

gallery_3085_2603_235594.jpg

A masterful Chicago-style hotdog turned out by Trio owner Henry Adaniya. Natural casing dogs that go "snap" and celery salt are touches I just love. The "frites" (not pictured) were also top-notch. Even when he's joking around, Henry turns out seriously good food.

gallery_3085_2603_193990.jpg

Henry Adaniya (right) and his son Michael work the hotdog line together.

gallery_3085_2603_57048.jpg

Paula Haney's Passionfruit soup with Coconut Mousse, being assembled. There was a scoop of melon granitee under that coconut mixture being poured into the glass. The final dish was topped with a mini cantaloupe ball. This was sweet and refreshing.

gallery_3085_2603_256018.jpg

Chef Paula Haney of Hoosier Mama's Pies.

gallery_3085_2603_60449.jpg

Scrumptuous Chocolate Napoleon with Peanuts and Caramelized Bananas by chefs Elissa Narrow and Della Gossett.

gallery_3085_2603_192647.jpg

Not sure but I think that chefs Elissa Narrow and Della Gossett are pictured in this group.

gallery_3085_2603_189960.jpg

It's lights out at Trio, baby.

It's been mentioned that Henry is considering going to Hawaii and opening a hotdog stand. Those guys out there should be so lucky. And if that's where his bliss takes him, so be it. But I do kind of hope that he stays in Chicago just because I know that whatever he comes up next will be innovative, distinctive and -- and if it happens to be food-related -- delicious.

Thanks, Henry, for 12 wonderful and memorable years of Trio. It was our pleasure.

=R=

Ron, thanx for sharing with us the event. It looked like a fun evening with everybody smiling. Those dishes look so good. It looks like they used all the rooms and the kitchen for this bash. Were there many people there that evening? And those are good photos, btw.

gallery_3085_2603_18980.jpg

Gale Gand's famous Root Beer Float.  Delcious, creamy, rich . . . so nice, I had it twice.

Root Beer Float. Root Beer Float. Only two Root Beer Floats? :unsure:

Root Beer Float. Root Beer Float. Only two Root Beer Floats? :unsure:

I'm suprised at Ronnie too. He must have eaten too much split pea soup before the event. :biggrin: <== Obscure Solly's (or was it Manzo's?) reference...

Thanks for the photojournal. Looks like a wonderful time.

I'd go to Hawaii for a hot dog. Why not?!?

Edited by gmi3804 (log)

Ron.

Great shots. Thanks for allowing those of us who weren't able to attend a peek into the party!!

Cheers.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

The place was packed, although it would be hard for me to estimate how many attended. And yes, they did use the much of space to hold the event -- maps were even handed out to guests upon their arrival showing each chef's location.

Henry and Mary were in the main dining room. Grant was in the solarium. Dale, Shawn, Rick, Gale, Paula and the Narrow/Gosset team had stations in the kitchen. The front salon, where the cold service was laid out, and another back salon were being used as bars. The place was bustling.

And btw George . . . it was Mazo's :wink::biggrin:

=R=

It is has been widely stated the lineage of great chefs that Henry has helped cultivate, but the photos featuring all of them really puts it in perspective. As far as having influence among dining in the United States I think Trio has to be considered one of the most influential restaurants that has ever existed in the United States.