• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Authentic Italian in South Philly

jchoi

My group (which includes four adults and three children under 3) will be in town for only two nights. The first night we'll be eating at Django (leaving the baby with a nanny at the hotel), and for the second night, which will be a Sunday, we're interested in heading into South Philly. I'm looking right now at Tre Scalini and Anastasi's Seafood Ristorante. Tried to make reservations at l'Angolo, but they're closed through the weekend.

I've read plenty about Tre Scalini, but does anyone know something about Anastasi's? How about Caffe Valentino?

My preference would be simple, well-prepared, hearty meals, non-fusion. Decor doesn't rate high on my criteria list.

I was initially planning on going to Ralph's for the experience of going to a "real" Italian, historically significant restaurant, but 80% of the reviews I've read were negative.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

anastasi's is an italian seafood place in the same building as their fish store--which is excellent, btw. i've seen the menu, and it's pretty standard stuff. i haven't eaten there, but if they highlight the quality of their fish with decent prep, it should be pretty damn good. i think craig laban reviewed it last year or the year before--you might want to check the inquirer archives at www.philly.com.

The decor is pretty spartan, though. If you're doing Django and then considering Tre Scalini, Anastasi's would be at the other end of the ambience scale from those two. There are a number of other, not-pure-red-gray Italian choices near 9/Washington: Forte, Mezzaluna, Dante & Luigi.

Cucina Forte is good. And they're very nice there.

It's a shame L'Angolo will be closed. I really love that place.

Buon Appetito is also very good. It's at 16th & Ritner IIRC.

Langostino at Front & Morris is also a really cute and IMHO underrated little place. Nothing too fancy, but very good and well prepared food from fresh ingredients.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I agree with Cucina Forte. It's a BYOB like Django, so don't forget the wine!

Trescalini was okay recently. But I like Cucina better.

Penne up in West Philly is delicious too. They have a wine list! Even though its in a hotel, its good, fresh food. Kind of expensive, though.

Ralph's we go to, even though its not super brilliant. We really love it there. Chilled red wine (yes!) and my husband likes their sweetbreads! It's just fun.

Does anyone know about Bocca something at 2nd & Girard in Northern Liberties? It's supposed to be homemade pasta and good...

Philly Francophiles

• 2 months later...

Oops, neglected to report back on our choices...

Django was wonderful at every turn--especially the cheese plate and the two desserts we selected: one was an almond/chocolate terrine with almond ice cream and the absolutely heavenly creme brulee napoleon

Pat's--this was also heavenly...I'd been craving a REAL Philly cheesesteak for 13 years and Pat's delivered. As an aside, I've always thought of myself as a provolone gal, but after dipping my steak into the cheese fries goo, I think I've converted to Whiz.

Cucina Forte--the pastas were lovely; tried the gnocchi in a red sauce and a tagliatelle in a green sauce (can't remember the composition) with mushrooms--or maybe it was green tagliatelle in a creamy mushroom sauce--the latter of which was a winner, even with the kids. all of the meat dishes we ordered were above average, and my husband loved his grilled lamb. yes, the dream soup. we didn't have time to stop at a wine shop beforehand, but the proprietor (or maybe not?) graciously poured three of us a nice glass of something red. a very sweet touch. we were absolutely too stuffed for dessert.

Plain & Fancy in Lancaster County--a filling, wanted-to-see-what-Amish-food-might-be-like -kind of meal after an interesting visit to the area. Don't have too much to say about the food here.

Melrose Diner--I had to eat here, dragged our whole gang here for breakfast en route to the airport in order to relive the experience of eating the best French toast ever made (although in the past I'd only eaten here between the hours of 2 and 4 a.m.).