• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Places to eat in montclair

bill70

Welcome!

Some of my faves:

Epernay-- French bistro

Fascino-- inventive italian

Mexicali Rose-- BYO mexican

Brookside Thai-- not technically in montclair (it's actually in Bloomfield), but great cheap BYO

Corso 98-- italian

Il forno-- the one on Bellevue for panini's

Greek delights--diner like serving great greek food

Indigo Smoke-- BBQ

Nouveau Sushi-- nobu-like

i may be missing a couple, but that should get you started!

Great list, Glutton! I'd just add that Blue Smoke is terrific, but don't ever go if you're in a rush to get in/out. I'll also add a terrific real-deal Italian deli, Bongiovine (sp?), which is on Bloomfield Avenue across the street from Whole Foods; had a great prosciutto/fresh mozz/roasted red pepper sandwich there just yesterday!

Bill70, welcome to eGullet--you'll find LOTS of help here. :smile: And if you do a search in the NJ Forum for Montclair, I know you'll find detailed discussions about many of these and other restaurants in the area. Bon Appetit!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

In re: the recommendation for Mexicali Rose, I would warn you that, in my experience, the food is really very bleh and below average--and you have to PAY for chips and salsa! The place would be fun with a group, I would imagine, if you focus more on what you're drinking rather than on what you're eating.

I second all of the other suggestions, however, and urge you to stop by Greek Delights for a quick, weeknight dinner. Saturday nights can get very crowded and busy: Went a couple of weeks ago and waited almost 45 minutes for a table (it was raining and the place is tiny) and then waited another 45 for our food--and we all ended up ordering gyros. They had also run out of hummus by the time they got to us (disappointed!) and the lone waiter looked so overwhelmed. He comped us a piece of baklava for the long wait.

If it's nice weather, there are tables outside, which usually relieve the congestion inside. The food is just so fresh and tasty! yum.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Where is Greek Delights located (address)?

I could google but I'm afraid that particular phrase would give me thousands of hits that I don't want! :raz:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Thanks! Any place that offers outdoor tables is an immediate plus in my book. We'll just have to try to get there on a weeknight.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Where is Greek Delights located (address)?

I could google but I'm afraid that particular phrase would give me thousands of hits that I don't want! :raz:

i often use yp.yahoo.com. you can focus on one town and the results are very good in my experience. especially when you're looking for established businesses.

In re: the recommendation for Mexicali Rose, I would warn you that, in my experience, the food is really very bleh and below average--and you have to PAY for chips and salsa! The place would be fun with a group, I would imagine, if you focus more on what you're drinking rather than on what you're eating.

That's a surprise to hear...I haven't been in about a year, but I've always thought their food was good! That's just my two cents.

What you should know about Mexicali Rose, though, is that it's a BYO--beer, wine, or tequila! For real--if you bring the tequila, they'll make the margaritas for you! And there's a liquor store across the street, so should you need to replenish, you don't have to go far. :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Well, Curlz, I absolutely agree that Mexicali Rose would be a fun place to go with a large group for drinks, especially since you can basically mix your own drinks. It's just that last time I ate there, I had a chimichanga that was as hard as a brick, and the tortilla tasted kind of stale and the whole thing over-fried. The food also looked and felt sloppily thrown together. Even more than that, I've had some really good Mexican food, and to me, Mexicali Rose just can't satisfy my cravings.

Does anyone remember Tijuana Willies on Main Street in Boonton? I remember the chicken chimichangas there were just heavenly. One of my favorite places for Mexican food out of town is called El Maguey (And when I say out of town, I really mean out of state, and in St. Louis where I lived for 3 years). I still dream about a dish they had there called chile colorado--chewy, flavorful chunks of beef stewed in a kind of sweet and sour tomato sauce. I'm looking to find that kind of food in this area, some place that will satisfy my craving for meat, rice, beans, tortillas, chips, and salsa all at once.

Any ideas, maybe a new thread?

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

I can honestly say I'm surprised to hear about your experience at Mexicali Rose! That doesn't sound like the experiences I've had there, whether there were 3 or 10 of us dining. Their food is usually very fresh! Hope that was an off night and not a change in the kitchen.

Not Montclair, but for some of the best Mexican I've had in NJ, you have to try Fiesta Hut at 227 Park Ave in East Rutherford--(201) 939-4338. Don't let the name scare you off; I did for many years! One of the best moles I've had, and good maragaritas to boot. :smile:

Edited by Curlz (log)

Thanks, Curlz. Fiesta Hut is goin' on my must-dine-there list.

Every time I read everyone's posts in the morning at work, I get hungry--and it's only 10:45am??!

I have to agree with everyone on the Mexacali Rose....very uninspiring. I agree with the others. Missing Taste of Asia which I know moved. Tumptim Thai is very good too. The sushi restaurant on Valley Rd. is good...but cannot remember name. Always filled, always fresh.

Yeah, I have a friend who swears by that sushi place...he was there last night, in fact! I'll see if I can get the name for you.

It's called Dai Kichi and it's at 608 Valley Road / 973-744-2954. Linda and Aki are the owners.

Edited by Curlz (log)

It's called Dai Kichi and it's at 608 Valley Road / 973-744-2954. Linda and Aki are the owners

Yes, that's the one....it is very good. Thank you Rosie for the update on where Taste of Asia moved to....I will be going soon!

Raymond's

Great breakfast! Brunch and dinner good too.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Again thinking outside the Bloomfield Avenue box in Montclair I would

like to recommend Orbis at 128 Watchung Avenue in Upper Montclair.

The chef is a woman and an excellent cook. The storefront restaurant

is in a high ceiling building and has a cool and summery feel. The menu

is" imaginative new American" and includes some meat and even more

fish. We have never had a bad meal here . It is also BYO.