• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When you move house what do you eat?

Ondine

I just recently moved house and the logistics were unusual. With the kitchen largely packed I found myself at a loss to feed myself and my volunteer moving crew of good friends. We wound up going to a nearby Turkish kebab place where I paid for kebabs and hommus all round.

What did you do when your kitchen was out of commission? It could be due to moving house, like me, power cuts, to renovations, or broken fixtures. Did you break out the charcoal grill? Did your microwave work overtime? Or did you just ring for pizza?

And on a related moving-house note, did you have any particular plans when emptying the fridge? Did you design meals to use up everything or did you just throw it all out? Or did you take the easy way out and just haul everything - including the almost-empty jam jars you kept telling yourself to discard?

Inquiring minds want to know. :raz:

" ..Is simplicity the best

Or simply the easiest

The narrowest path

Is always the holiest.. "

--Depeche Mode - Judas

eGads... I have had to move twice in the past year and I think I hate moving more than anything else I can think of. The kitchen IS the hardest part because it puts you out of commission for so long.

I have typically found that during the moves, I end up spending considerably more on food because I'm buying so much instant food. Even when the kitchen is not entirely shut-down, the simple act of trying to cook when there is so much to pack can be daunting. I begin to rely too much on fast food as well as reasonably-priced restaurants that will pack to go.

Awful, isn't it?

My dad was in the US Air Force so moving every two years made me highly conscious of the ramifications of eating before/during/after a move ... highly disruptive ... :sad:

Now, I have married and lived in the same house for over 25 years .. and have my final last will saying that I am to be buried in the backyard (between my two deceased dogs!) ... no more moving anywhere :laugh:

What to eat? OUT! any and every meal: OUT!! with real knapkins and real tablecloths and no "drive around please" .... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I agree. Go out. And when you are tired of going out order in. Otherwise, treat it as if you were going on a picnic while on vacation. Pick up a loaf of bread, some cheeses and meats, maybe a few olives.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I usually suggest the eating out thing as well. If you still have a lot of work to do to make the place liveable, pizza or Chinese delivery, if feasible. If not, it's a good excuse to ramble around a little to find a nearby restaurant.

Also, don't forget the broasted/roasted/fried chicken that a lot of grocery stores do. Nothing wrong with them, either.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

What a good topic... I moved about two years ago, going from a house with a walk-in pantry, freezer, etc. to an apartment. That was a logistical nightmare.

The freezer... We ate out of it for about a month before. It was down to some stuff I probably would have tossed anyway when the move occurred and I gave it to my housekeeper. (It was an upright that I hated. The house will go back to my beloved chest style.)

The refrigerator... This wasn't too much of a problem. My refrigerator is mostly a storage device for condiments and such. I am the condiment queen. Fresh food cycles in and out pretty fast. Leftovers are either eaten or tossed. The only advance planning I did was to bite the bullet and throw out all of those partial jars of stuff and stuff that I had to admit that I would probably never use. On moving day, I only had an Igloo cooler of stuff to move. (Granted, it was a big Igloo. :laugh: )

Eating... Moving day was McD's breakfast and pizza delivery. (About the only delivery option around here.) Little did I know how good a sausage and biscuit is when washed down with a cold beer. :laugh: The day before and after was chicken and salads and stuff from the grocery deli. I really don't know when I would have had time to go out to eat.

I had other things to do so my housekeeper of many years had my kitchen unpacked by the end of the day of the move. That woman has a special place in heaven.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

hee. this is why god gave us restaurants.

Amen.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

What a great topic! I've moved four times in as many years, and I'm about to do it again next month. Moving sucks. This time shouldn't be as hard, though, because I actually have a month or so to plan. The last several times it's been in less than two weeks. So I've already started by trying to eat up or use up some of the things in the freezer.

Hmm . . . what to do with the gallon of strawberry puree I made last month when I thought I needed it? And the corndogs we bought because we thought it would be a funny addition to our last party, but nobody actually ate them?

At least this time, my roommate is staying in the house, so whatever I can't eat up or take with me can stay with her.

As for the actual moving day, eating out is ESSENTIAL! If only so that you get a break from the mess for a little while. Of course, this time I'm flat broke, so the establishments will have to be a little less nice than the last time around. :hmmm:

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

Hmmm. There may be an opportunity here for 'moving time' caterers, who could find out from the truck companies when people were going to move, then they could come in with a proposal to feed them during the process...

We've moved quite a bit and it is ridiculous. You will go nutty trying to make anything to eat yourself. It is expensive, but it must be planned for in your budget (and budgets DO go haywire when moving, so many unexpected and new expenses! :blink: ) to eat out.

The other option of course is roast chicken and deli salads from the grocery store, or a good loaf of bread and cheese, etc...

I've always packed up all my (non-perishable) half-used bottles of this and that, AND my half used cleaning supplies and either found a friend that was happy to have the addition to their pantries, or have given them to any variety of churches that have little kitchens where they prepare food sometimes.

Seems silly, but when you look at what is there that would be thrown out...it adds up, and many people are glad of the small gift.

friends of mine had a lucky dip of their booze cabinet at their leaving party (they moved to Hong Kong from London). Wrapped up all the bottles and put them on a table and you got one as a party favour when you went home. Could be anything from half a bottle of 15-year old Glenmorangie to a bottle of Jacob's Creek to some utterly random lizard liqueur from China.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

My situation was similar to Gifted Gourmet--I was married for 25 years to an ambitious fella (hereinafter to be known as "Evil One") who moved us every couple of years to various small towns, as he was promoted in the Forest Service.

Well, he is dead now (nah, just wishful thinking :hmmm: ) and I have moved for the very last time.

When I was moving, I had a couple of boxes that held kitchen essentials--last things packed from the old house, first things into the new house. Can opener, knives, paper plates, salt and pepper, couple of pots and pans, a sandwich toaster that opened up to grill burgers or steaks. I am not a list maker, but I did keep a list for the kitchen box.

Because we moved to little rural places, often eating out was a choice of one greasy spoon or hotdogs from the convenience store, so it was important to have cooking supplies.

No more moves ever again--I am going to be cremated and sprinkled in the vegetable garden, GG. That'll make the asparagus grow!

sparrowgrass

That's an excellent suggestion, the last in--first out box! I hate moving. Blech!

I also have packed everything for my portable grill. To be gotten to easily.

We will be moving way out of town when my treatments are finished. This place is a nightmare, because I packed up all sorts of stuff, expecting to move 3 months' ago. It looks like one of those bag lady places with a trail leading through. If I did not have this TOTAL lack of ambition, I'd have had a lot of it moved. But lately, I am crying a lot, and living on our sofa.Sorry about the pity party. Everyone go on and give your good ideas.

I've always packed up all my (non-perishable) half-used bottles of this and that, AND my half used cleaning supplies and either found a friend that was happy to have the addition to their pantries, or have given them to any variety of churches that have little kitchens where they prepare food sometimes.

Dude, I do the same thing, but I pack them up and move with them! I'm too poor to start all over again when I get there! I need that half box of rice or the quarter full bottle of 409. That is a really nice gesture, though. I will probably do that with anything I can't really take with me.

I LOVE the last out, first in box idea! That's fantastic. I'm definitely going to use that for this move.

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

I am firmly in the "eat out" camp. I can be pretty wishy-washy about a lot of things, but not this. Don't even *attempt* to cook anything for at least the first week after you've moved.

I'm living in the same apartment now for about three years. During the five years previous to this, I moved about 8 or 9 times, I can't even remember any more. New York will do that to a girl. Yes, it is definitely why God gave us restaurants. (And friends, God bless them.) Eat out, it will give you a great opportunity to get to know your new neighborhood.

If I did not have this TOTAL lack of ambition, I'd have had a lot of it moved.

:sad: They say that for every door closed there is another one to be opened, and this is true. It is also often true that the damn corridor down to that next open door can seem endless. But it IS there... :wub:

I think when we start moving, I will take a cooler-load of my Chinese bud's restaurant food. Their Hot and Sour Soup, Velvet Chicken, and SUPERB kalamari and octy dishes are something I can eat. It's just the thought that we will be in Pryor, miles from everything, that intimidates me. My doctor won't let me go till tests are 80% good, because I would have to ride the angel bucket(helicopter) if something screws up. I'm tryin' I swear I am!!

I had a friend years ago who when he had to move would look to his most destitute friend or friends (He had many) and give them a drawing of his new place and the keys. Then he'd take them to his old place and give them a little pep talk. Then he would fly to some nice spot for a week and when he got back he was moved and they had some money. He ate really well while moving. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I had a friend years ago who when he had to move would look to his most destitute friend or friends (He had many) and give them a drawing of his new place and the keys. Then he'd take them to his old place and give them a little pep talk. Then he would fly to some nice spot for a week and when he got back he was moved and they had some money. He ate really well while moving. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

That is quite a Macchiavellian idea but rather nice at the same time.... :laugh:

Haven't moved in a while, thank goodness, but over the years we haved picked up and put down new stakes 19 times. (Got one more to go, I think - from Seattle to Phoenix in a few years).

We'd always throw a big goodbye party at the old place, and give away whatever perishables were left afterwards. The people who actually helped us pack and move got the good stuff (but we had the wine shipped and stored until we got settled).

In the new place, we'd set up one room (the one with the stero and the TV and the bed) as completely as possible, and then, while we were waiting for the kitchen to become operational, we'd order pizza from every place within walking (or delivery) distance. That way we learned which one would be The One in the new town.

I once moved 9 times in one year. Though I had few possessions at the time, I still don't like to think about it too much. It makes me very tired.

We just moved into our first house last week and are in the process of unpacking. Oh, and renovating. Also, I started school this week on top of a full-time job. And I have a 30 minute commute each way, which isn't a big deal except on top of those other pesky things.

When we were first working on the house (living in our apartment, going to the house and painting after work before we moved in), we had this dinner every night: grilled meat, bagged salad w/bottled dressing, and potato chips. If we didn't feel like grilling it was sammitch, salad, chips. Now that we're in, things are pretty much normal (for the time being, we haven't started tearing out cabinets and the range is more or less functional), thanks to the last out, first in box. Mom taught me that trick when I was in college. Sorta like packing a carry on bag for a flight. And this, this is ANAL, but it can help. Number the moving boxes, and make a list of the numbers. Catalogue the contents of each box by number. This only helps if you know where the hell box #15 is. But at least you know what box you should be looking for.

Anyway, this time we were so filthy from painting, etc, the first couple of weeks, that going out was not an option. Seriously, too bummy for fast-food, even. We're also pretty cheap, especially w/me in school, so ordering out is a last resort. I say eat sandwiches and chips until you can't take it anymore. But again, I'm a cheapskate.

Gourmet Anarchy

We normally eat out. Moving is stressful enough without having to worry about cooking and cleaning up the kitchen. I have a large picnic basket that I pack with plastic cups, plates, napkins, paper towels and plastic cutlery. That goes in the car with us. We then have stuff to eat on...sometimes even take out places don't give you all that you need and you don't realize it until you get home. If I have people over to help move furniture, we order pizza.

The week or two before a move, I start cleaning out the fridge by using up what I don't want to move.

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

The last things packed are my butter, cast iron skillet, eggs, and tabasco....

So, usually the last supper, and breakfast at the old place (before the work crew gets there) is something along the line of fried egg sandwiches. Lunch/moving meal is definitely pizza or lasagne (lasagne is homemade and prefrozen, pizza is usually Valentinos), and definitely beer, but afterward.

But during the packing/unpacking period, there are a lot of PB&J nights, ramen, and takeout chinese--'cos it's so fun to eat on the floor.

But, the best is that first pork roast once you have things under control... with some broiled vegetables and a bottle of wine... while most everything is still in boxen... especially if your honey is there and the mattress is still on the floor...

mmmm.... good memories....

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

When we moved to this house over 16 years ago, I swore I never move again, that I'd just buy all new stuff. Yeah, right. I vote for eating out as well, but you never know what you're going to find in the back of that pantry!!!

Stop Family Violence

We just moved into our first house last week and are in the process of unpacking. Oh, and renovating. Also, I started school this week on top of a full-time job. And I have a 30 minute commute each way

This would send *me* over the edge!!

My microwave is the last out/first in............if I can have a hot mug of something, I'm soothed...........

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.