• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

yankee smokehoouse in ossipee

duke44jb

I've never been, so I only have passed along accounts.

The people I know who have been there say it is very good. If you do stop there, please give us an account.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

I stopped there with my family on the way to the White Mountains maybe 4 or 5 years ago, enticed by the many friendly billboards with their happy, appetizing pig. It was fun, and good. A fairly local place considering the touristic location, with more variety on the menu than I expected. Nice young servers, rustic interior. Not a killer roadside bbq joint but a good place to stop.

--L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens

I can vouch for them, too. The ribs are nice and smoky, and moist--don't taste like they've been rubbed with anything much beyond some salt before smoking. The sauce is ketchup-based, sweet and smoky, a little tang to it. The coleslaw is good, so are fries. The garlic toast isn't so good--soggy white bread.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

We used t like it, but our last trip there was disappointing. Small portions, kind of blah.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

If you're heading to Attitash, I really enjoy the bbq at Moat Mountain Smokehouse and Brewery. Both lunch and dinner I've had there has been delicious. I had the smoked pork butt last time. I've always wanted to try the smoked brisket quesadillas but haven't yet. Highly recommended. It's on 16 in North Conway, just north of downtown, about a mile up on the left. Good q, good beer. Website: www.moatmountain.com

rich

rcaffelle, I'll second that about Moat Mountain in No. Conway! Best bbq I've had in New England. Waitress got me to order pulled pork on raisin bread toast. Great, though it didn't go too well with their excellent beer.

Been there three times, the third time we were just about the last diners there and it (like us) was a little tired but still fun.

L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens

Every year we eat at the Yankee Smokehouse (which is actually located in Tamworth, NH). It's a fun place, especially after a tiring day in the mountains. If you look closely at the ceramic pigs and such that decorate the place, you will see one that I gave them, a gift from a former relative that didn't go with my house - neither the relative nor the pig. They comped us dessert, but I was just glad to get rid of the ugly thing.

Worst complaint: they'll put your beer in a thick glass mug which is so cold it'll freeze up solid.

What's at Attitash that makes it worth a day's drive? (Apart from BBQ joints of course.)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

We hit Castle in the Clouds at gate opening time, then head up through the lakes on 25, take 93 to Plymouth, where we used to go through the Polar Caves when my daugher was small. Then head over to Shanware Pottery in Wentworth, where I buy pottery, stopping only at little antique shops along the way. From there, it's across the White Mountain National Forest, the Kankamagus Highway, down 16, and BBQ for supper. We're home by dark.

thank you for all thr replies. this website is the best. attitash has water slides, hiking trails, etc. its a nice place to visit for a dayt trip, if you are close enough. things to do for adults too. my trip isnt for another two weeks, but when i get back i'll be sure to post a review. thanx alot people. your imput is appreciated