• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Single Item Food Places in NYC

ZenFoodist

There's a store around the corner from me (Columbus & 69) that only sells stuff made from olive oil. They have non-food olive oil items (like soap) too.

You're thinking of Oliviers & Co. It's owned by the same group that owns L'Occitane. They have shop in SoHo (I think it's Prince and Mercer) that has a restaurant as well. They also had a shop in Grand Central Terminal, although it may have closed.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

[You're thinking of Oliviers & Co. It's owned by the same group that owns L'Occitane. They have shop in SoHo (I think it's Prince and Mercer) that has a restaurant as well. They also had a shop in Grand Central Terminal, although it may have closed.

Yep. That's the name. But they aren't there anymore. L'Occitane was next door and now has the space of both stores.

Another one food store though: Tasty D Lite.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

And a fondue or dip place? (not the ancient La Fondue of a million years ago....)

Help me out here.....

"Dip," which opened within the past year, is on Third Ave., b/t 29th & 30th Sts. I've never been but, acc. to the menu on menupages.com, they specialize in cheese and dessert fondues; however, they also have a bunch of appetizers and lots of drinks. So, they don't really qualify for the single item category.

Speaking of cheesesteaks, I heard a rumor that there is supposed to be an amazing new place for them over on 44th or 42nd street way far west- like 10th or 11th ave- anyone know what that is all about? I hear it is just a "stand".

Philly Slims? I havent been there yet, but i would reco Woogies.

Also wasn' t there some grilled cheese place that opened up a few years ago?

Grilled Cheese NYC, on Ludlow between Houston and Stanton.

Cute little place, sort of a coffeehouse type feel. Um...good grilled cheese. Wide selection of fillings to choose from...

They also serve soups and salads, so another technical disqualification. (And if the arepas place referred to above is meant to be Caracas Arepa Bar on 7th St., they have several non-arepa items on their menu as well.)

Actually, Minca does serve excellent gyoza as well as ramen.

What hummus places in the East Village, ZenFoodist? Surely, you mean something other than Chickpea, the excellent felafel/shawarma place in the former location of St. Mark's Pizza?

Michael aka "Pan"

Pan,

I just read a review in New York Mag a couple of issues ago and saw some buzz about it in the NYT I believe. It just opened up a few weeks ago and specializes in four differnt types of hummus if I recall correctly. The article in NY Mag focused on this place and the new Dumpling Place. I will find the address for you later on when our teething baby decides to go to sleep :)

lisa

new place on 1st Ave and 10th (i think) called Momofuku is basically just a ramen place (although he does make some amazing pork buns and pot stickers as well). the pork that they add to the ramen is stupendous. perfect noddles too!

How about

Yonah Shimmels Knishes, Rubens Empinadas, Kosars Bialy's.

Speaking of Yonah's, have we all noticed that things just aren't they way they used to be? It's become too touristy and the food has suffered. And they sort of went the way of the bagel by serving every flavored knish imaginable. I think they now have foie gras knishes! ;-0 Knishes should only be potato or kasha. Period. However, I do love their noodle pudding.

Knishes should only be potato or kasha. Period. However, I do love their noodle pudding.

But has the quality of their potato and kasha knishes stayed high?

I think that's the important part.

I don't begrudge them their expanding their product line if it helps them be more successful. That's how you compete in a ever more competitive food business environment.

The key from a connisseur point of view should be if their key products that he/she enjoys remain of good quality.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Well, I never thought their knishes were all that great - okay, but not great. It could be me, but I think the kasha knish has deteriorated. I don't know about the potato cuz I always get kasha. It seems too moist on the outside. And they have a bad habit of reheating it in the microwave for too long.

Yonah's has never been good in my opinion. My grandparents thought it was bad 30 years ago. The last good knish I had, outside of a home, was at a kosher place in Coney Island 25 years ago that was soon after closed by the health department!

[You're thinking of Oliviers & Co.  It's owned by the same group that owns L'Occitane.  They have shop in SoHo (I think it's Prince and Mercer) that has a restaurant as well.  They also had a shop in Grand Central Terminal, although it may have closed.

Yep. That's the name. But they aren't there anymore. L'Occitane was next door and now has the space of both stores.

Oliviers & Co. have a shop on Bleeker Street west of Sixth Avenue as well. Actually they have an awful of shops in France, and I presume all over the world. It's a large chain.

How specific does the product have to be? Of course there are many bakeries that just sell bread, many kinds of bread perhaps, but Rice to Riches sells many flavors of rice pudding. There's a fried dumpling on Mosco Street that I believe only sells two kinds of dumplings and no pancakes. Then there are sidewalk vendors who sell one product. I'll nominate the guys who sell Hong Kong Cakes as archetypical one item vendors, but there are plenty of stands in Chinatown that sell one item of food. Let's not forget the hot dog stands, although they sell drinks as well. I think someone has to set the limits on how restrictive "single item" is applied.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

The last good knish I had, outside of a home, was at a kosher place in Coney Island 25 years ago that was soon after closed by the health department!

Yeah, ya gotta get to the really good places before the health department closes them down.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Not that restrictive.....I think what I originally meant to request but didn't, was establishments specializing in or famous for one type of food...so even though the hummus place has three different types of hummus, or the rice pudding place has 20 flavors, or the ramen place has 5 variations AND sells dumplings....not a prob.

BUT not obvious places like ice cream shops or pizzerias- something more unique.

Hope that helps :)

lisa

Beard Papa only sells creampuffs, right?

their cream puffs are amazing! I know its a Japanese chain that had a branch in Beijing where I stopped every now and then for one. I didn't realize there was one in the US. Next time in town I'm going to have to stop in, though I'm glad to be far away, because they are both addictive and extremely fattening...

Beard Papa only sells creampuffs, right?

their cream puffs are amazing! I know its a Japanese chain that had a branch in Beijing where I stopped every now and then for one. I didn't realize there was one in the US. Next time in town I'm going to have to stop in, though I'm glad to be far away, because they are both addictive and extremely fattening...

Do you know if they have them in Hong Kong as well.

Is Pret-a Manger still around? I remember reading an article awhile back about how the Brit chain wasn't as well received here and about a famous pastry chef leaving her restaurant to consult for them...Claudia Flemming??

Even though Pret offers dozens of items, it's perceived mainly as a specialty sandwich shop so it would count towards my initial request.

Is TOSSED, that salad place on lower Park Ave South, still around?

Even though there were many variations of salad it's still single item in my eyes :)

Yes, Tossed is still on Park Av. S., b/t 22nd & 23rd Sts. They also have a second location at 30 Rockefeller Center Plaza Concourse, b/t 49th & 50th Sts.

Also in the salads only category is Chop't, on E. 17th St., b/t 5th Av. & B'way.