• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Single Item Food Places in NYC

ZenFoodist

Like the new hummus place in the E.Village, that popover place from awhile back, the rice pudding shop that I'm willing to bet has long since closed, the cheesesteak shop in the W. Village, Gus' Pickles, the Peanutbutter restaurant, the new hummus place and Dumpling Man....what other single item food places are there here in Gotham?

Rice to riches (the rice pudding place) is still open.

Minca, which is ramen noodles only. The other pickle place (pickle guys?) up the street from Guss.

If you count ice cream as a single food, there are many places as well.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

Thought of a few more- the Venezuelan Arepas place, Dawgs on Park, and Beard Papa....

I know there are dozens but just can't seem to remember anything these days.

Since my son was born I have given up clipping and filing as I did in the past and now I'm paying the price :)

Hmmm... I was going to say "Fried Dumpling," but they also serve sesame pancakes and hot and sour soup (not to mention items on the menu like Lo Mein, which they apparently only serve for breakfast :wacko:).

Beard Papa only sells creampuffs, right?

--

...that popover place from awhile back...

If you mean New York Popover at Ninth and 53rd, I went there when I was in NY a couple of years ago and enjoyed it very much. Hope it's still open. And I do think the Risotteria on Bleecker is open, I have friends who like it. (Not to be confused with Rice to Riches, which I hope will be there on my next visit; it sounds fun.)

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Beard Papa Sweets does sell some mango inspired desserts in addition to creampuffs, but the vast majority of their business is with the latter.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

i want details on the pickle place on e 19th, please oh please. i wish my next trip to new york to include a pickle quest, though the truth is that all of my trips through new york have a pickle quest componant.

my trip through life has a pickle quest componant.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

There's a store around the corner from me (Columbus & 69) that only sells stuff made from olive oil. They have non-food olive oil items (like soap) too.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

2 important additions to this thread --

1. Crif Dogs - One of the finest hot dog joints in the city - not for the upper east siders, though.. Try the Sourcheesedog - big half sour pickles and gooey melted chedder on your dog (get it bacon wrapped), or the Chiuahua - another bacon wrapped dog with avocado sour cream and salsa - amazing. St Marks between 1st and A

2. B/B Sandwich Bar, on West 3rd between MacDougal & 6th only makes cheesesteaks, and only makes them THIER way. It is a pretty good way, though. The first time I went I wasn't sure how much I liked it - there is a little spicy pepper relish or something on there - but over the following weeks, I found myself mysteriously exiting the A train at West 4th with hunger pangs... Definatly worth a try, and they only get better and better.

2 important additions to this thread -- 

1. Crif Dogs - One of the finest hot dog joints in the city - not for the upper east siders, though..  Try the Sourcheesedog - big half sour pickles and gooey melted chedder on your dog (get it bacon wrapped), or the Chiuahua - another bacon wrapped dog with avocado sour cream and salsa - amazing.  St Marks between 1st and A

2. B/B Sandwich Bar, on West 3rd between MacDougal & 6th only makes cheesesteaks, and only makes them THIER way.  It is a pretty good way, though.  The first time I went I wasn't sure how much I liked it - there is a little spicy pepper relish or something on there - but over the following weeks, I found myself mysteriously exiting the A train at West 4th with hunger pangs...  Definatly worth a try, and they only get better and better.

There were rumors going around that Crif Dogs was closing or being sold -- anyone know anything? I'd miss the Chihuahua for sure.

And personally, I've never understood the hoopla about BB Sandwich. With that ketchup and caramalized onions they've always sorta tasted -- to me -- like White Castle. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Edited by bpearis (log)

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

And personally, I've never understood the hoopla about BB Sandwich. With that ketchup and caramalized onions they've always sorta tasted -- to me -- like White Castle. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I know what you are saying-- I wasn't thrilled with it the first time I had it, but I came around.. I am sure that not everyone learns to like them as much as me, however.

Speaking of cheesesteaks, I heard a rumor that there is supposed to be an amazing new place for them over on 44th or 42nd street way far west- like 10th or 11th ave- anyone know what that is all about? I hear it is just a "stand".

One more idea to chew on - The Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridian has the best burger in New York City.

Edited by Brooklyn (log)

One more idea to chew on - The Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridian has the best burger in New York City.

Definitelty agree with you about The Burger Joint. Great burgers, decent beer, and good prices.