• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Out on the town for cocktails....

So I love going out for cocktails! I'm not talking about Happy Hour, a whole other topic. But after dinner drinks or liquid dinner :shock:

I love to go to Sambar for the inventive refreshments like the moshito and the melon drink I had last week. Justin is a great bartender!

Aaron at 10 Mercer makes the best Sidecars in town IMHO, the biggest too!

Casual night out I like the Virgina Inn. Sheas Lounge, Palace Kitchen bar...

Where are your favorite bartenders? Where do you go for a nice cocktail?

Sambar, as mentioned. Eric at Palace Kitchen.

some swear by Zig Zag. haven't been yet, though i mean to.

i'm also generally depressed by the paucity of good hotel bars in SEA. coming from New York, where i'd hit Fifty Seven Fifty Seven on a regular basis, this is a major bummer.

Zoe and Palace feature well-made drinks and humming scenes (both vital for drinking out). The bar at Le Pichet is super-cool. Union has interesting offerings but it's almost always empty. Oliver's does a fine martini of course but the crowd is just this side of shuffleboard.

go to viceroy and have a SEERSUCKER. if quentin is working (definite on thursday after 9pm), tell him THE RIZZLE sent you. if he questions it (which he won't), tell him RHODE ISLAND sent you. you will have a great time and the drinks will be delicious.

quentin is one of this city's finest, no doubt.

lemony

go to viceroy and have a SEERSUCKER. if quentin is working (definite on thursday after 9pm), tell him THE RIZZLE sent you. if he questions it (which he won't), tell him RHODE ISLAND sent you. you will have a great time and the drinks will be delicious.

quentin is one of this city's finest, no doubt.

lemony

Avoid the early evening Viceroy bartenders who make every cocktail a sugar bomb, however.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

My personal favorites for (what I call) a real cocktail would have to be any of the following (in no particular order): Cash or Lee at Cyclops and any of Derrick, Eric, or Sandy at Palace Kitchen.

All of those folks know how to serve cocktails without skimping or shortcutting. Every time I go into Cyclops when Cash is working, my regular drink is on the bar before I'm sitting at it. Gotta love that.

(my first post:P)

I don't like the shortcuts they use in making their drinks at Cascadia, at least the drinks on the specialty cocktails menu.

Murray at ZigZag is The King. NO ONE tops Murray. Article: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...WIGOO1HUDR1.DTL

I have had a well-crafted cocktail at Viceroy, but then again, I've tasted horrendous sugar bombs that had to be sent back. It's best not to order off their cocktail menu. Bartender was at a loss: "All of them are really sweet, so I can't suggest anything good."

Many of Sambar's are great and complex.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I'm a fan of Bandoleone for casual drinks and anyplace that can serve a decent French 75 in the summer.

Rocky

Didn't Bandoleone close or move recently? Or am I thinking of someplace else?

I use to go to Murray when he was at Il Bistro!! too funny, that man has been mixing for a long time!

Isn't it in the process of moving to Fremont? It's in the openings/closings thread somewhere.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Isn't it in the process of moving to Fremont? It's in the openings/closings thread somewhere.

The Eastlake location is closed. The new Fremont location is the north end of the Fremont bridge, right behind the Waiting for the Interurban statue (right in my neighborhood!)

I don't think the Fremont site is open yet, but Eastlake's loss is our gain!

Wait! No, I'm sorry! Bandoleone in Fremont IS open and has outdoor tables. Come on over to Fremont for a "decent French 75".

Edited by cxt (log)

...anyplace that can serve a decent French 75 in the summer. 

That would be nightscotsman's apartment, before he abandoned us to pursue his dreams (which, sadly, didn't include fulfilling our cocktail needs. Personally I feel entitled to another cocktail party at Neil's, since I was pregnant at the last one :wink: ).

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Last night we were late heading to Sambar and were unable to get a seat anywhere, so we decided to head into Fremont to try out Nectar. I have to say that we all agreed that THESE WERE THE WORST DRINKS WE'D EVER HAD. We ordered a Cosmopolitan, a French 75, a Whiskey Sour, and one of their signature drinks a Nectarini.

First off, the only drink that even hinted at having any alcohol was the Whiskey Sour and that was only because you could smell the whiskey. Second, other than the French 75 all of the drinks were much too sweet and tasted (literally) like sugar free Kool Aid. Third, these drinks were all completely watery. I'm not sure how long our teeth would have lasted had they not been watered down and we got the full sugar syrup hit.

Two of us didn't even finish the drinks, and we left a little note telling them how bad everything was.

Luckily the George and Dragon was nearby and we were able to wash out the sweetness with a few pints.

Hal

Come on over to Fremont for a "decent French 75".

IIRC, MsRamsey can help me here, The Sitting Room on Queen Anne also makes a decent French 75.

Thanks for reminding me. All the drinks at The Sitting Room have been pretty impressive. They really seem to take pride in what they do.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Thanks for reminding me. All the drinks at The Sitting Room have been pretty impressive. They really seem to take pride in what they do.

seconded on the Sitting Room. always enjoy them, never remember to stop by there.

was at Sambar the other night and tried their latest concoction, called a Lethal Leith. involved cucumber puree, Ciroc gin, a Scotch float (i think), honey, thyme and some other stuff i can't even remember. another total winner from them ...

was at Sambar the other night and tried their latest concoction, called a Lethal Leith. involved cucumber puree, Ciroc gin, a Scotch float (i think), honey, thyme and some other stuff i can't even remember. another total winner from them ...

My husband had a few of these last weekend. They are really good!!! I think it's Hendricks gin though? I could be wrong- I thought Ciroc was Vodka? Anyway it's super tasty! He usually has the gingerini mmmmmmmm

The Oceanaire (sp?) has great drinks...I especially enjoy their Cosmopolitans. You'll pay a goodly amount, but the drinks are bigger than normal and you won't be disappointed. fyi...if you're just there for drinks expect the bar to get crowded early. The food is also exceptional.

My husband had a few of these last weekend. They are really good!!! I think it's Hendricks gin though? I could be wrong- I thought Ciroc was Vodka? Anyway it's super tasty! He usually has the gingerini mmmmmmmm

it may well be Hendricks. the ingredient list flew by in a blur. for some reason i recalled Ciroc because it's made from grapes and so isn't really a vodka.

was very tasty.

dunno about Oceanaire, though. i found their drinks middling to blah, and not terribly well executed. while i hardly blush at a $12 martini (used to pay $15 in New York without blinking), i want that martini to be something akin to divinity. which i didn't think was the case with the Oceanairians ...