• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbook Stands/Holders

LittleMissCrepe

I'm thinking of buying my mother a cookbook stand/holder for her birthday and was wondering if anyone had recommendations or warnings. There are a number of choices and prices on Amazon, but I'm tempted to just buy the one from Williams Sonoma.

I live overseas and won't be able to see any of these products in person, so any input on sturdiness, durability, and clean-ability would be appreciated. Thanks very much!

I don't have this one but I did look at it closely in the store the other day. It was doing a fine job of holding a big, heavy hard bound book. I liked the adjustability of the glass for different thickness books. Also, the tempered glass is much superior to the plexiglass that I have seen in others. The fact that it breaks down flat for storage is another good feature. The price isn't bad for the quality. If I were in the market for a holder, this is the one I would probably go for.

(The reason I am not in the market is because I have a Le Creuset cast iron one that I got as a freebie with an order at the outlet store. Hmmm... that one would make a good shower gift. Then I could get this one. GET THE BEHIND ME, SATAN! :laugh: )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I have tried just about every type of cookbook holder known to man.

Most have been okay but never really fit the bill.

Then I got this one and it is the greatest.

I actually have two and at one area where I do not have an overhead cabinet, I do have a pot rack and it with hang from the outside flat bar of the pot rack just fine.

Having the book at eye level is great for me because when I cook I wear my reading glasses and if the book is on the counter I have to bend to see it well and that hurts my back.

Us old ladies have to think of things like that.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I also have one of these but it has never been installed.

I found it on Amazon for a much cheaper price but haven't gotten around to putting it up.

I think it is rather expensive but I like gadgets and this fits my criteria.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 5 years later...

I have one of these under one of the overhead cabinets where I prep for most baking and general cooking recipes.

I also have a very expensive one that I rigged so it will hang from my pot rack over the kitchen island.

I know it is still available but can't find a web site readily. It's made by "Levo" or at least that is the name on the thing.

I have also seen an acrilic one that is in one piece, shaped so there is a pocked for the book and the back support is elongated into a gable shape that has a round hole so it can be hung on a cabinet knob or on a hook.

Otherwise, Crate & Barrel had some cast iron ones that were pretty nice back around Christmas time.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

I owned this one for a long time & liked it. Sometimes, though, the cookbook was too thick to fit comfortably in the holder. Somehow I managed to scratch up the acrylic, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-737-Acrylic-Cookbook-Holder/dp/B0002ZFXOQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1274936126&sr=8-1

So I discarded the acrylic holder, & I bought one like this, adjustable for thick cookbooks. It has sat in my closet for years. It's heavier and more clumsy than the acrylic one, you have to adjust the cookbook before you start, dadadadada...apparently that's enough effort for me to just say Forget It. (I'm scratching my head as I write this. How lazy can you get?)

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=136856

Then my mother, who doesn't cook or read books, surprised me with a gift of a book weight, which turned out to be perfect. I dump the weight on the page I want in the cookbook, and the book stays open on the counter. No fuss. The only drawback, the page might get splashed if it's too near the cooking action, though I haven't had that problem. If I want to write notes in my cookbook, which often happens, I just pick up my pen & go at it, no moving around acrylic things. How my mother ever found the right cookbook holding tool for me still boggles my mind, since this is someone who keeps personal belongings in her pristine, unused oven. The last time I visited, when I wanted to cook something, I couldn't find her measuring cups. She told me she had used them to hold paintbrushes when she did some paint touchup in her apt, then she threw them away. I mean really...!

http://www.amazon.com/PhotoFramesPlus-Tan-Leather-Book-Weight/dp/B000Y4WWZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1274937249&sr=1-1