• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moon Pies: have you ever had the experience?

Gifted Gourmet

Moon Pies. So good. So fattening. Makes you feel like you could just save time by slapping one on each hip. But where's the fun in that?

There's a coffee shop here in downtown NY that sells Moon Pies. It's nice to have a supplier for the occasional Moon Pie fix. Even if I didn't have the coffee shop, I could always order them from The Lee Bros. Boiled Peanuts Catalogue.

Mmmmm. Moon Pies. I think I need a trip to that coffee shop now.

• 16 years later...

Reviving this ancient discussion for a new flavor:

"MoonPie Has a New Pumpkin Spice Flavor With the Same Marshmallow You Love"

A regular MoonPie consists of two graham cookies with marshmallow in the middle that is completely covered in chocolate. With the new mini Pumpkin Spice flavor, the graham cookies with marshmallow are covered in a pumpkin spice coating, so you’ll get that fall flavor in every bite.
The Mini MoonPie Pumpkin Spice is a limited-edition flavor, so don’t expect to see it on shelves once we move on to winter...

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

18 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Reviving this ancient discussion for a new flavor:

"MoonPie Has a New Pumpkin Spice Flavor With the Same Marshmallow You Love"

I've never had a MoonPie.  Seems like they might be nice if you were to freeze them.  Especially the mint ones.  Yes.  It's hot here. 

The pumpkin spice variant didn't sound awful to me until I saw the orange-colored coating.  No, thank you.

The closest thing I remember from childhood was Mallomars: a round graham cracker topped with marshmallow and covered in a dome of dark chocolate. I don't remember moon pies. I would sooner jump off a bridge than eat either of them with pumpkin pie spice. Every year about this time I suffer increasing anxiety attacks about PPS. Right there's a benefit of sheltering in place--much last chance of coming into contact with it.

I had never heard of them referred to as Moon Pies until I started talking about Scooter Pies (which is what we called them and it was what was on the package!) and wanting to make them from scratch.  No one in the kitchen knew what I was talking about; we had to google it.  We've made them with regular sugar cookie dough, chocolate sugar cookie dough and graham cookie dough.  I like pumpkin - in pie.  That's it.  Not in coffee, not in cereal, not in Oreos, just pie.  Although if I were hungry and there was a particularly good pumpkin bread around, I would eat it without fuss. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

The closest thing I remember from childhood was Mallomars: a round graham cracker topped with marshmallow and covered in a dome of dark chocolate. I don't remember moon pies. I would sooner jump off a bridge than eat either of them with pumpkin pie spice. Every year about this time I suffer increasing anxiety attacks about PPS. Right there's a benefit of sheltering in place--much last chance of coming into contact with it.

We had those - gummy Mallomars and Scooter Pies. I only ate them when my sugar cravings were out of control and there was nothing else. To me the concept is the most horrid version of the melty gooey perfection of  campfire s'more. I know you can use the Fluff which stays soft (my sister kept a jar hidden but NO

Edited by heidih (log)