• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pork roast

chefgy

Marinate in orange juice with garlic and other spices and herbs -- salt. pepper, chile flakes, some paprika would be nice -- perhaps a few shots of soy sauce -- if you can, use bitter orange marinade, you can get it at hispanic groceries. put on grill on low to medium indirect heat, cook until done.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Gee, we're having Roast Pork for dinner tonight. When we grill our Roasts, we usually spit roast them using medium low heat. For your size roast, spit roasting should take about an hour. If you want to use the indirect heat grilling method, I'm at a complete loss :biggrin:

When I do them in the oven, (as in tonight's offering), I usually convection roast for about 30 minutes a lb at 300.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Crackling or not?

If no crackling (skin).

Season all over (salt and pepper)

Sear all round in a hot pan

Either:

Seal in a sous vide bag and put in a water bath

or

put in a roasting pan (foil lined makes cleanup easier) and put in the the lowest possible oven (55C/130F) for anything from 6 to 24 hours. A heavy casserole over the pilot light might even maintain that temperature. A remote reading digital thermomoter inserted into the meat helps a lot

If crackling don't brown initially, but rub with salt and olive oil. When cooked, as above, take out the bag (if its in one), dry, and then put in the hottest possible oven, or use a blowtorch for maybe 15 mins so the crackling puffs.

Serve with apple sauce, sage and onion forcemeat good gravy..

Concurring with all of the above. This is one recipe that I got out of a magazine that has become a family favorite.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Mmmm...you are one lucky person...PORK ROAST!

I agree with the all the previous posts about rubs and mojo marinades...it doesn't get much better than those particular flavors, with a pork roast.

Here's a side question, though. Is it a center cut pork loin or some other cut?

Which cut do 'you all' prefer?

My favorite is a center cut pork loin with the rib bones left on for juiciness and flavor, with the chane bones on the bottom either cracked or removed...but I find this cut very difficult to locate in the past several years in a standard grocery store. Instead, you can find the cryovac boneless pork roasts, which to me do not have the savor of a roast with the bones left on...

P.S. Leftovers (if any!) make a great start to a Cuban Sandwich.... :wink:

For entertaining, I actually love to do Crown Roast Pork. But usually, my go to choice is centre cut boneless.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

lets see, Im not sure what kind of roast it is off the top off my head, it says "sprm bnls gi" on the label, does that mean anything? I'm not sure. Its not the highest quality meat, but hey if cooked right anything can be yummy.

lets see, Im not sure what kind of roast it is off the top off my head, it says "sprm bnls gi" on the label, does that mean anything? I'm not sure. Its not the highest quality meat, but hey if cooked right anything can be yummy.

Um, hmm. Absolutely. But different cuts of meat have differing needs in ways of cooking..all pork roasts are not the same and I must say that even moreso all beef roasts are not the same!

The amount of time you would want to cook the roast and the temperature it would best cook at (depending on your ultimate goal in terms of recipe type) are affected by whether or not the meat is boneless or not...and whether the particular cut you have is higher or lower in fat.

I'm not sure what that label means (and though I could hazard a totally off base off color remark, I won't... :laugh: ) but if the roast is evenly shaped and sort of tubular without too much connective tissue showing, it is probably a pork loin. Could be rib end, loin end, or center cut. All slightly different. These cuts can take to a variety of cooking methods.

If it is rather triangular looking it could be a shoulder or a fresh ham or several other things, all of which need long slow cooking either as a braise or as a well-basted roast. If you go to high heat on this cut of meat or try to cut short the cooking time, it will be tough.

Good luck! Let us know what you come up with...even mentioning pork roast makes me salivate, no matter how it is cooked! :smile: