• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Discounts for Restaurant Insiders

mnebergall

I understand that Restaurant Eve in Old Town Alexandria has declared Mondays as "Industry Night." Restaurant industry folks are entitled to a 15% discount on their checks (excluding liquor, illegal to discount in VA) by displaying a business card.

Does anyone know of other establishments that have similar attractions for restaurant insiders?

I don't know of any offered at either Bis or Vidalia. Now, I am sure that a Very Important Person would be treated very well and plied with all kinds of freebies from the kitchen and the bar. But no formal policy, as far as I know. Manager's discretion and what the kitchen can get away with.

Resident Twizzlebum

I'd like to know how you get credentialed as a restaurant insider :biggrin:

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

True that. I've only been there twice: One tragic morning (!!) last St. Paddy's day, and once earlier this spring, when I noticed the aforementioned drink special. It occurs to me that said special probably takes place just as the dinner rush would be starting up, so....bet it's not so busy!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Never met a line cook or a sous or a waiter or a hostess with a business card, and I'm sure my GM will laugh in my face if I ask for one.

Pfft to McFadden's. Went once, was mobbed by GW crowd that was oddly all-American for the location, and promptly retreated to Agua Ardiente down the block, safe heaven for Rude Euros.

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

It's no Eve, but MacFaddens on 24th and Penn has drink specials for restaurant workers on Friday or Saturday nights.

Don't most restaurant workers WORK on Friday and Saturday nights?

:wacko:

It's no Eve, but MacFaddens on 24th and Penn has drink specials for restaurant workers on Friday or Saturday nights.

That's a cool place if you are the kind of guy who paints his face the colors of his soccer team......... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hey, there will be no mocking of face painters on this board :angry:

Yes! I am so glad you mentioned Old Ebbitt. Where else can you go for half-price oysters when you get off work and the vile Irish Times does not beckon anymore? (probably because the bartender still remembers kicking you out the night before.)

Resident Twizzlebum

Restaurant Eve Industry Night, anyone in the industry is welcome to come and receive a 15% on food, unfortunately the state of Virginia will not allow us to discount alcholic beverages.

What you need to do:

1. Call to make a reservation, tell us your name, phone #, and where you work.

(If you have a business card with your name on it skip #2)

2. If you do not have a business card with your name on it, give us the name and # of the restaurant where you work so we can call and confirm you are employed there.

3. Bring a business card from your restaurant and present it when you check in with us.

4. relax and enjoy dinner!

Todd Thrasher

The Guy who says YES CHEF and Sometimes makes a cocktail or two.

Restaurant Eve

110 S. Pitt St.

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 706-0450

Eamonn's A Dublin Chipper

PX (Upstairs)

728 King Street

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 299-8384

Just to confirm that I dined at Eve about a month ago - not even on Monday - and 15% have been taken off my check because I mentioned my hostessing job at Bis when I made my reservations. Big thank you to Meshelle, who was incredibly gracious and charming, and Todd - I don't think we met, but thanks all the same!

Resident Twizzlebum

Thanks for asking Don!

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar offers a 15% discount on all food items for industry people and additional specials on Sunday night which include $5 cocktails and half-priced wine list (open to everyone, but designed with our industry peers in mind.)

Combined with our Sunday Fare menu (California "comfort food" like Kobe Beef

cheeseburgers, fried organic chicken, and macaroni & cheese) industry night at Mendocino offers our restaurant and neighborhood friends an informal (and inexpensive) chance to check us out.

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

I'm seriously considering changing my username to ThreadKilla, since there are at least a dozen threads out there that have gone silent after I post on them.

Maybe once and a while someone could post the 'sound' of crickets chirping after I post.

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar