• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual paratha stuffings

Monica Bhide

I thought we had tried them all. But papads!!!??? Never tried that. Can you post a picture Monica?

What kind of papads have used as stuffing and how?

We have stuffed eggs, keema, leftover chicken, fish, cauliflower (raw and cooked), carrots, onions, lentils, rice....you name it.

For sweets, we make jaggery, sugar.

Most unusual one.. Gakhri parantha. Basically you roll a roti with salt, pepper and ajwain, cook it halfway thru, then mash it like churui and add ungodly amounts of desi ghee. Make a ball again and then make a parantha with more ungodly amounts of desi ghee. It is supposed to be quite thick and it is unbelievable yummy!!!

There are 2 rules we follow, anything that we cook and is stuffable can go in a parantha. Anything that is not stuffable because it is too liquidy, we make the dough with it and then make paranthas 'cause paranthas we have to have..

Cheers!!

I'd like to see a papad-stuffed paratha too. If not a photo, could you at least describe it in more detail, Monica? Sounds very intriguing. I'm afraid I'm not very adventurous when it comes to paratha stuffings, but like deliad I sometimes add leftovers (particularly saag and other veggies) to the dough. The most unusual stuffed paratha that I make is with a coconut and jaggery filling that my Mom learnt from a Malyali friend. I don't know if this 'Aunty' invented it to feed her many children or if it's a regional speciality. The paratha wasn't like a Kerala parotta though, it was the north-Indian kind of triangular paratha.

BTW, what shape do you make your non-stuffed parathas in? We make ours triangular, my friend from Chandigarh makes hers rectangular and a neighbour from Nasik makes hers circular (with dumbell-shaped pedhas folded over). Plus there's the spiral parotta which I've had in restaurants.

Suman

Hi! I absolutely LOVE my mom's besan (chickpea flour) paranthas...I believe she roasts the besan along with some spices and then stuffs them in the paranthas. Sometmes she adds slices of onions while roasting the besan and that makes the stuffing doubly yummy!

regards

monika

plain old sugar - yummy

oh and a recent experiment - nutella - absolutely awesome!

Rushina

Tell me a bit about your nutella paratha... I am a die hard nutella fan. Ofcourse I have not been able to touch it recently.

SO how does it work in the paratha?

Any pics would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Left over rajma (not too runny though) or you can knead the dough with the rajma curry and make parathas, they are simply great :)

Also, I would say, if you have little rajma curry or any curry, add some cheese to it (grated cheese) and place a tbsp or two in the center and roll the paratha.

I love that! For sweet ones, I make them with jaggery, which is available again in the indian stores, it needs a lot of ghee as well to ensure that jaggery does not stick. Its maharashtrian I guess...my mom taught me.

Rupen

Dry spiced yellow Moong dal.

Love those dry dal ones. However, the ones with dry spiced Chana dal is much more "smoky" and flavourful than the dry spiced moong dal. But of course, that is my personal pref. Equally good are ones with dry spiced green whole moong beans.

I am sure you would have tried that episure, Please do, if you have'nt.

Edited by deliad (log)

Dry spiced yellow Moong dal.

Love those dry dal ones. However, the ones with dry spiced Chana dal is much more "smoky" and flavourful than the dry spiced moong dal. But of course, that is my personal pref. Equally good are ones with dry spiced green whole moong beans.

I am sure you would have tried that episure, Please do, if you have'nt.

I've never tried spiced chana and split green mung, thanks, will add it to my list of things to eat afore I go. :biggrin:

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

• 2 weeks later...

Don't hate me, but I love the ones with finely chopped up tandoori chicken in it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host