• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Monday lunch and dinner in Paris

SamanthaF

A lot of the best places seem closed on Monday for lunch.  Le Relais du Comptoir is open, but they seem to have some odd seating policy which I have yet to understand.  If someone does, please explain it to me. 

They don’t take reservations, so you either need to go early or late. I have been many times and have never had to wait more than a few minutes, but I have mostly been at off hours.

You could also try Christian Constants new place, but from what I have read it sounds very casual.

Pierre's choice of Rich might be a good one.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Oh man, how timely. It's Monday afternoon and my stomach is growling. Great posting.

"When planning big social gatherings at our home, I wait until the last minute to tell my wife. I figure she is going to worry either way, so I let her worry for two days rather than two weeks."
-EW

A lot of the best places seem closed on Monday for lunch.  Le Relais du Comptoir is open, but they seem to have some odd seating policy which I have yet to understand.  If someone does, please explain it to me. 

They don’t take reservations, so you either need to go early or late. I have been many times and have never had to wait more than a few minutes, but I have mostly been at off hours.

You could also try Christian Constants new place, but from what I have read it sounds very casual.

Pierre's choice of Rich might be a good one.

Le Relais opens at noon so an appearance a few minutes before then should avoid the queue? Is that what you mean by early? Or do you mean 5:00 for dinner?

I am urging Pierre to give us a report on his Rich dinner.

If I am not mistaken is Au Gourmand in fact,

Le Gourmand, 22, Rue de Vaugirard, 75006 Paris Tel : 01 43 26 26 45?

Google yields both a le and an au, but Webcity takes an au and gives the le on Vaugirard.

Since Rich is in a different quartier, the 9th, I am inclined in that direction, but the question is what might be interesting nearby. A l'Etoile d'Or, which I have been meaning to try will have its annual closing next week. What else might be worth visiting near to the rue Cadet? The Grands Magasins are nearby, but that is not what I have any mind.

Any exceptional artisanal shops within 20 minutes or so of the resto? The near-by metro stops are Cadet itself, Notre Dame de Lorette, Le Peletier, Poissonniere etc.

Albert Menes which I plan to try is not too far away in one direction, near the Madeleine. It is open Monday PM. The opposite direction takes me to Barbes. What is the shopping scene like on a Monday when the open air market itself is closed, I believe?

Le Relais opens at noon so an appearance a few minutes before then should avoid the queue?  Is that what you mean by early?  Or do you mean 5:00 for dinner? 

Yes, I meant for lunch. I have always gone at about 13h30 or later and have not had a problem. Dinner is more difficult.

And as for Au Gourmand, they have moved but you can read more HERE and Pierre45's recent review is HERE

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Le Gourmand, 22, Rue de Vaugirard, 75006 Paris  Tel : 01 43 26 26 45?

No, they are quite different. I'll be posting my positive review of Au Gourmand in the 1st, later this month.
Since Rich is in a different quartier, the 9th, I am inclined in that direction, but the question is what might be interesting nearby.
Add me to those who like Rich. My review is here.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Le Gourmand, 22, Rue de Vaugirard, 75006 Paris  Tel : 01 43 26 26 45?

No, they are quite different.

Yes indeed the two are quite different and we found out the hard way. So do not confuse the two! Le Gourmand is pretty sad. VivreManger, I would love to hear what you chose and how it was... and anyone else that had lunch out yesterday (monday).

Edited by loladrian (log)

• 2 weeks later...

We have a table at Troigros for a Sunday in September, and are looking for a follow up on the Monday, but many of our choices are closed (Pic, Leon de Lyon, Le Bec). Any suggestions? We're headed up toward Champagne, but any place within a couple hours of Roanne would be fine. Thanks.

Pete

May I strongly suggest Bocuse, Collonges au Mont d'Or. There you will still find the classic grande cuisine of way back when, something that seems to lack a bit at the hyper avantgarde Troisgros these days. (Last time I went Michel had even taken the sorrel salmon off the menu!)

• 2 months later...

In my attempt to sneak in repeat reviews, I'd like to report on a very disappointing meal at an old fave - Thierry Burlot in the 15th (Pasteur). It's a good news/bad news sitch which is kind of the story of Pierre's and my experience:

Good: The one-of-a-kind great shrimp Asian-raviolis with soy and spicy shallots/vinaigrette, the fabulous ice cream with salted caramel, but

Bad: The slow delivery of plates, amateurish service, tiny piece of foie gras immersed in greens and three rubbery gambas, a tasteless chicken breast wrapped like a brik, lackluster lumpy mashed potatoes, a mis-calculated bill, shabby steps to the bathroom and a broken front door. Not to mention the slowly creeping-up prices and loss of reasonably-priced wines.

But except for that, as the joke goes............

The bill - first try 93 E, second try 121.

{Whoops, forgot our agreement: the meal consisted of one 35 E menu decouverte (3 courses) a starter and main = 37 E, plus one bottle of wine and two coffees but no water }.

Edited by John Talbott to add {Whoops, etc.}

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

• 2 months later...

A member/friend in Paris after 3 months absence asked me today if I'd noticed that Monday was the new Sunday, that is that a lot of places were now open on Saturday but closed Monday as opposed to the reverse ten years ago. Indeed, I had noticed and was aware that my list of 23 new places to try has only two open on Mondays.

John Talbott