• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Monday lunch and dinner in Paris

SamanthaF

Popping over in a couple of weeks, but the bright spark that I am, our visit is the Sunday to the Wednesday. I know enough Sunday places, but can anyone recommend somewhere open on a Monday night.

Criteria - must be French, in the €30.00 - €40.00 per head (not including wine) region and preferably inside paris rather than the burbs.

Merci :smile:

Fontaine de Mars - 7ième

l'Epi Dupin - 6ième

Willi's Wine Bar - 1ière

Le Dauphin - 1ière

Philippe Dutourbe - 15ième

Bistrot du Dôme - 14ième

An incomplete list, but I think they are all open on Monday night and around that price range.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Astier, 44 rue Jean-Pierre-Timbaud, 11th Arrondissement; (33-1) 43.57.16.35.was favorably mentioned in an article in the NYT travel section this sunday. The cheese tray looked particularly promising, and it sounded quite reasonable with a prixe fixe for about 25 euros. I have no experience whatsoever with this establishment though. Hope this helps.

Just returned from a Paris trip and ate at La Regalade on Monday night - it was great, and the menu is 30 euros for 3 courses (there is a full page of optional dishes w/additional surcharges- mostly black truffles and the like). If you order the assorted charcuterie entree - they bring a basket full of dried sausages along with other goodies, a cutting board and a knife, and you help yourself (that in addition to the pate that's also offered self-serve with your apertif). It's out in the 14th - Alesia metro stop.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 10 months later...

Due to some complicated last-minute travel plans, I will be in Paris on Monday night.

I'll take dinner suggestions. Price is not relevent. I'm interested in good and interesting.

I'll also take company, but earlier is better than later.

Thanks,

Bruce

Arpège is also open on Monday nights. It's good, interesting and well, as they say, if you have to ask the price ... As above, if you can get a table.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Arpège is also open on Monday nights. It's good, interesting and well, as they say, if you have to ask the price ... As above, if you can get a table.

I've been to Arpege. I'm not suire I want to go again this time.

B

I went to Benoit (in the 4th), after making and cancelling reservations at both Pierre Gagnaire and Spoon.

I guess I'm a fool for tradition; Benoit is my usual first-night restaurant.

I had the fish soup, served with croutons, roullade, and Parmesan cheese. And then salt- encrusted chicken. They brought it out to show me: it was a whole chicken completely encrusted in maybe half an inch of salt. The cooking technique seals in juices and flavor.

I like ordering chicken in France. Chicken is so tasteless in the United States (the phrase "tastes like chicken" really means "tastes like nothing"), and this kind of dish reminds me what chicken actually tastes like.

Dessert was chocolate mousse.

Nothing that requires much real analysis, just good basic French cooking.

And I ended up sitting next to a couple from St. Paul.

On the walk home I saw my first Starbuck's in Paris. Right around the corner from my hotel. It pains me....

Bruce

• 6 months later...

Will be passing through Paris on the last Monday in August, and would welcome some inspiration - what's open on that Monday, where we can have a decent but casual, and not overly costly meal? Diners will be me (very adventurous); beau (semi-adventurous); my mother (not too adventurous).

Good question. Aside from the non-inspirational brasseries, you've picked a double challenge, Monday and August.

I'd suggest La Mediterranee (?sp), across from the Odeon theater; great quiet terrace in summer, good but not expensive food, nice for a postprandial stroll in the Luxembourg Gardens.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I can't believe you just posted on this topic, Magnolia! I was about to do the same - need a venue for Monday lunch, but end of September instead of August. It's my husband's birthday - there are 4 of us, all early-30s foodies, so want something special but not *too* formal; prepared to pay upwards of 45 Euros per head.

So, please keep the suggestions rolling in for both myself and Magnolia! Hope you don't feel I've hijacked your topic, M?!!!!

thanks,

Sarah

Monday lunch is tough and in August it's worse. I think Au Bon Accueil is open on Mondays and Michelin doesn't mention it's closed in August, but some other references say it is closed part of August, and some say it's closed Monday lunch.

It looks like Maupertu is open on Mondays and that it will be open on the last Monday in August (closed Aug 8-22). I had a very nice dinner there two years ago. http://www.restaurant-maupertu-paris.com/

• 4 weeks later...

A favorite of ours is Le Florimond on La Motte-Piquet in the 7th. M. Rubin declares they have the best stuffed cabbage in Paris and I heartily concur. Laurent Martin is as congenial a front man as I know in Paris. Sorry to reply so late but I just recently found the gullet.

• 2 years later...

A lot of the best places seem closed on Monday for lunch. Le Relais du Comptoir is open, but they seem to have some odd seating policy which I have yet to understand. If someone does, please explain it to me.

The Bristol will be open, no doubt, but that may be more formal than I seek.

Drouant is open, perhaps, but I have done that and don't need a repeat. Any other suggestions?

Yes, Mondays can be difficult. I always have a satisfying meal at Bistro Vivienne, but that may not be what you are looking for given your suggestions. What about Au Gourmand? They just opened again near Palais Royal and got great reviews so far. Very high quality ingredients (bread, butter, Joel veggies) and delicate preparations. I hate to admit it, while most loved it (and better critics I might add) I had a nice meal there, but nothing worth running back for. Except maybe the bread and butter!

A lot of the best places seem closed on Monday for lunch.  Le Relais du Comptoir is open, but they seem to have some odd seating policy which I have yet to understand.  If someone does, please explain it to me. 

The Bristol will be open, no doubt, but that may be more formal than I seek. 

Drouant is open, perhaps, but I have done that and don't need a repeat.  Any other suggestions?

Tonight which is a monday night I am having dinner at Rich,14 rue cadet .9e

01 48 01 87 87.Bonne chance.