• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you're embarrassed to hate

frdagaa

Chefgy...I thought all along that I was the only individual in the western hemisphere who hated cilantro...The taste reminds me of the liquid in those wax candy soda bottles they sold when I was a kid...Couldn't stand them... :wacko:

fifi...Guess that makes 3 of us...

Edited by FrankieShots (log)

I can't even explain the flavor [of truffles] because it is not just the taste but a combination of aroma, flavor and sensation.  A friend likens it to a reaction to pheremones.

I think the flavor and aroma of fresh truffles are more a haunting thought than any tangible sensation. When I've eaten fresh truffles, I find my brain still awash in the experience well into the next day.

Maybe truffle oil is so wrong because it tries to make material something that is entirely ethereal. Like an orgasm in a can.

How extraordinary, GG, I was reading that issue in bed last night!

:cool: Another eGullet synchronicity.

Edited by GG Mora (log)

Chefgy...I thought all along that I was the only individual in the western hemisphere who hated cilantro...The taste reminds me of the liquid in those wax candy soda bottles they sold when I was a kid...Couldn't stand them... :wacko:

fifi...Guess that makes 3 of us...

Ah... I think there are more than three of us. :laugh:

And a big welcome to eGullet!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I'm not embarrassed that I don't like cilantro since I've met more people who feel the same way than people who do like it.

I guess I'm embarrassed that I don't like desserts unless they are savory, like a cheese plate. I'll go for a fruit something but that's about it.

I received an email from a friend in Pennsylvania earlier this morning and it reminded me of another thing I cannot stand. I have had it in the past and eaten it to be polite but now I can no longer get it past my lips, no matter how it is fixed or disguised.

SCRAPPLE, to me It tastes like mildew smells.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I think the flavor and aroma of fresh truffles are more a haunting thought than any tangible sensation. When I've eaten fresh truffles, I find my brain still awash in the experience well into the next day.

If I am going to hold a truffle for a day or two, it or they, go immediately into a sealed container with eggs. So they can flavor the eggs. It is amazing how it permeates right through the shell.

However I usually have all the things I am going to use with the truffles on hand or order so they arrive at the same time. Foie gras to make truffled paté, phesant, etc....

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I really can't stand bananas - just raw ones, I quite enjoy banana bread or even cooking them in some butter and sugar and pouring on ice cream. But a raw banana triggers the gag reflex - it's the texture mostly I think.

Cooked salmon completely turns me off too. I enjoy other oily fish like anchovies and sardines and smelts and tuna, and I'm all over raw salmon, but when it gets cooked it's all putrid to me.

Otherwise I've never found anything truly unpalatable and would like seconds of most everything mentioned in this thread already

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

Got to this late but just had to jump in here with a success story.

All of my life I hated olives, and it frustated me to no end because I love everything that they come with, Greek salad, arribata sauce, martinis, pizza, you name it. I even loved fresh olive oil, but if a whole olive made it in my mouth, I'd gag and want to spit it out.

I so desperately wanted to enjoy the bowl of herbed olives I made for every cocktail party and picnic I threw. Everyone else seemed to love them, so I spent a lot of money and time on olives even though I couldn't stand them.

But I kept at it, and tried them on a regular basis, just in case my tastes had changed. And low and behold at a picnic this summer I tried a gorgeous-looking fresh purple olive from the olive bar at Fairway, and I liked it. Even went back for another. So now I like purple olives. That success led me to trying more fresh-looking olives, fat Sicilian green ones and the like. Yum. Fresh seemed so much better and less fermented tasting to me than the saltier, processed or overly brined ones.

And last night I had a warm octopus salad with black kalamata olives in it and actually enjoyed the one that snuck it's way onto my fork.

I was so proud. :biggrin:

i am a chef,which makes it embarassing to say i cant stand fish of any sort.this also makes it dificult to cook as i dont know what it should taste like.

Otherwise i eat pretty much everthing,except blue cheese,worse than fish.

"when we accept tough jobs as a challenge and wade into them with joy and enthusiasm,miracles can happen."

Arland Gilbert

Ah...a venting thread. Very well.

1. Cilantro. Hate it with a passion. If I want to eat soap wax, I can head to my shower with a candle.

2. Asparagus. Not a huge hate, but frankly, grass (i.e., a lawn) tastes the same, and is cheaper, so...

3. Olives. OK, here is where many think I'm nuts. About the only olives I like are the black, tasteless Early California type. I just can't stand real olives.

4. Alcohol. Don't like any, don't drink it. Wine? If I want that I can add vinegar to Welch's and do the same. Beer? No thanks. Something that smells like that should not go *into* a body.

5. Fish Roe. Tried caviar, sea urchin, salmon roe, &c. They all are just ugh.

6. Foie gras. Well, I don't mind the schmear in beef wellington. Beyond that, meh. Pate is the same.

7. Tuna that's red. That's right, I can't stand raw tuna. Or even seared tuna. I've tried it. I've tried otoro at great cost, didn't like that. Give me my tuna cooked! Oddly, though, this is one of the few fish I can't stand even a little raw. I hate fully cooked salmon, for instance.

8. Shellfish. Don't like any of it. Part of it is that it either tastes like slimy stuff from your nose or bland texture. Plus, there is the fact that my father kinda dies if he eats any of it. So, not liking it extends my life.

Edited by TheMatt (log)

TheMatt

Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram

Isn't it amazing how differently the sense of taste affects each of us?

As for me....and I think I'm the only one who has this dislike...beets. I think they have a horrid taste and even the color is unnatural to me.

I can totally sympathize with you Jade... I am a Personal Chef so the fact that I'm not a big fan of strong fish (and to me even salmon fits in this catagory) is a problem...so far none of my clients have complained about my fish-cooking skills though :shock: !

Organ meats and entrails are also not on my hit parade so that also rules out Pate and Foie Gras. I certainly couldn't be mistaken for a Food Snob!!

This is an interesting thread.

Life is a feast. Savor every course!

I just thought of another one. Skinless-boneless chicken breast. Why am I embarassed to hate it? Because that's what EVERYONE in Southwestern Ontario likes to make for dinner! Boneless-skinless chicken breast is so awful and tasteless. Why not at least leave the bone in and the skin on? Then I can at least look forward to some crispy chicken skin. But there are so many more flavourful cuts of meat, and even more flavourful cuts of chicken, that I don't understand why people always opt for boneless/skinless chicken breast.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

-Presiden Muffley, Dr. Strangelove

I just thought of another one. Skinless-boneless chicken breast. Why am I embarassed to hate it? Because that's what EVERYONE in Southwestern Ontario likes to make for dinner! Boneless-skinless chicken breast is so awful and tasteless. Why not at least leave the bone in and the skin on? Then I can at least look forward to some crispy chicken skin. But there are so many more flavourful cuts of meat, and even more flavourful cuts of chicken, that I don't understand why people always opt for boneless/skinless chicken breast.

That's interesting. I think this is a result of the health-conscious eating here. Skinless breast meat has a whole lot less fat that dark meat with the skin. Funny thing is that in Asian societies, the dark meat is preferred because it has more fat.

Hello...my name is Curlz (Let me hear you..."Hi, Curlz!"), and I have a list of foods that I don't like. Like you, I'm also sick of being admonished for them!

1. Raw tomatoes. I've tried 'em. Over and over again. In NJ, in August. Heirloom, fresh picked, I've tried 'em. And I just DON'T LIKE THEM!!! Cook them, and I'm fine, as long as they aren't giant pieces.

2. Olives. Any color, any brand, any kind.

3. Most shellfish; love shrimp, but could go without anything else for the rest of my life, and I'd be fine with it--and yes, that includes lobster. I'll eat it, but it just doesn't knock me out like it does for many people. And I've had it in Maine, in the summer, blahblahblah.

4. Any sushi other than tuna. I've tried them--just too fishy. And in reverse, I love smoked salmon (is there a better weekend breakfast than a scooped warm bagel with cream cheese, lox and a slab of red onion?!?), but most of the time, I really don't like cooked salmon.

5. Gin. I've never had a bad experience--just HATE the smell. And since I don't like olives, it's not like I'm sad about the lack of gin martinis in my world...

6. Raw bananas. Among the posts on this thread that could have been written by me was the one about bananas...I love banana bread, maduros, etc. but not the fresh version, nor will I eat anything that's banana flavored. Used to eat them when I was young, but I guess the texture thing kicked in for me.

7. Beets. Somewhere, there's a pic of me at about 1 1/2 years old, sitting in my high chair, and I'm covered with them. I suspect that's the last time I enjoyed them.

8. Anise/licorice. NO WAY. On occasion, I can deal with fennel if it's very mild in a dish, but I do avoid it.

Ironically, there are a few things that I've just started to enjoy in the last couple of years--avocado (in guac form) being one of them. I finally had fresh-made guacamole and understood what the fuss is about. But if there's a slice of avocado on the plate, I'll probably ignore it. Foie gras and sweetbreads were a new positive experience this year, and I thoroughly enjoyed both--at an eG dinner! It took me 'til my early 20s to discover that I love mushrooms. And it's only in the last 5 years that I've discovered blue cheese...and I'm SO glad I have! I guess our palates really do develop with age.

Finally, I'm with the non-sweet fans. While I don't dislike chocolate, I just don't care about it. If I'm going for dessert, it's going to be something citrus, pear, berry, apple, etc.--not the triple chocolate whatever. Unless, of course, it's in a cookie. 'cause there's no such thing as a bad cookie, is there? :wub:

I will say that I'm fascinated by this thread, as there are consistencies throughout. I wonder if anyone has done scientific research on the majority of foods/textures/flavors that are disliked...it's so interesting to see how much crossover there is! And fwiw, I seem to recall that there is a scientific reason that cilantro has a soapy taste for some and not for others. Luckily, I don't have that problem!

Thanks to adegiulio for turning me on to this thread...even if he did so after goofing me for hating olives. :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

1. Raw tomatoes. I've tried 'em. Over and over again. In NJ, in August. Heirloom, fresh picked, I've tried 'em. And I just DON'T LIKE THEM!!! Cook them, and I'm fine, as long as they aren't giant pieces.

2. Olives. Any color, any brand, any kind.

Freak! :biggrin:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I will say that I'm fascinated by this thread, as there are consistencies throughout. I wonder if anyone has done scientific research on the majority of foods/textures/flavors that are disliked...it's so interesting to see how much crossover there is! And fwiw, I seem to recall that there is a scientific reason that cilantro has a soapy taste for some and not for others. Luckily, I don't have that problem!

Maybe many people on this thread are Supertasters.

Rachel Sincere

People always look at me like I have 2 heads when I tell them that I hate strawberries. I love all other kinds of fruit and I want to like strawberries, but I just don't get them (or any berries for that matter).

And what I really hate is when a perfectly good chocolate dessert has fruit mixed into it in any way, shape or form. To me, the only acceptable fruit that goes with chocolate is bananas. And even that's marginal.

And what I really hate is when a perfectly good chocolate dessert has fruit mixed into it in any way, shape or form. 

And here's a time when I DO go for chocolate...dipped strawberries, blueberries (had those for the first time ever last month), orange peel, etc.

That's what makes the world go 'round...

Edit: I'm definitely a moderate taster--can't imagine being a non- or a super-!! Thanks for the article--very interesting.

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Fresh tomatoes... they make me gag. I have tried and I wish I could get into them. I even went into "tomato training" one time when my sister was growing several varieties, including heirlooms. I actually threw up twice. I gave up. Cooked, fine. Raw, no way.

Cilantro... I am one of those that thinks it tastes like nasty soap. I think on another thread we decided it is a genetic thing. :biggrin:

I'm with you one this...

as well as spicy foods, which I really do wish I liked - or wish I could eat. I know it is a matter of developing tolerance, but a little bit of spice kills my taste buds and I can't taste anything afterwards.

I'm not particularly embarrassed, but I'm sick of hearing people say "Oh, you eat/make such strange/weird/different things and you won't eat that??!" I can't stand:

1. raw bananas - blech! especially the texture

2. beets - cooked, pickled, whatever, hate the taste

3. cauliflower - don't like it raw, cooked, even did the eG roasted a while ago, everyone loved it but me!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Wow - a quick scan of the numerous previous responses leads me to believe that I'm in a very lonely minority, as I think I'm the first person to say that I don't like

goat cheese

in any form, from any place.

Tastes like what I imagine Crayolas would taste like if they were softened and salted.

I find lamb slightly more tolerable, but it has to be hot or warm.

Do love lots of other cheeses, tho.

Edited by bottomlesspit (log)

sg

How can you not love goat cheese? Man...I probably eat more of that than any other cheese. My fave is chevre en marinade. Mmm. I also like goat, the meat. Lots don't like that.

And I can't believe how many people don't like bananas. I'd eat one every hour if I could. Best fruit out there right along with tomatoes.

TheMatt

Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram

I think that this thread has pointed out that we all have differing tastes that converge at some points and diverge at others.

It is very true that some people are super-sensitive to some flavors or aromas and others don't notice them at all.

This can change also and sometimes fairly late in life. And abruptly......

My across-the-road neighbor has a 49-year-old son who has always been one of these "eat what is put before one" persons, no interest in any special foods, ethnic or spicy, he simply had no preference.

A year ago he was having a lot of headaches and went to a doctor who found he had a severe sinus condition that had been present for many, many years. An EENT doctor did a rather extensive surgery and warned him that he might have some odd sensations.

What he had was a sense of SMELL, something he had never had prior to the surgery and which also interfered with his being able to taste.

Imagine if suddenly you were able to see in color after being limited to black and white all your life.

This is what it has been for him. All of a sudden he can taste things. He has become fascinated with hot and spicy, warm and savory and fresh vegetables and fruits of all kinds. Prior to the surgery he could not taste any difference between a peach and an orange. Now he can tell the difference between a peach and a nectarine. He is amazed at what he has been missing all these years. His mom is happy, now she knows that there was a reason he never noticed her cooking. His wife is not a thrilled, she is not much of a cook, but he is learning that he can do it himself. He is watching FoodTV and has borrowed a bunch of my tapes from old shows.

He even likes cilantro - he loves pesto (before he thought it was on the pasta just for color).

The only downside is that he has gained 25-30 pounds, however he was rather thin before the surgery.

So there is something else to consider. How many people have conditions such as this that impede their enjoyment of good food?