• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you're embarrassed to hate

frdagaa

Arugula is the most mainstream food that I dislike. You might as well take a piece of lettuce and dip it cat urine as far as I am concerned. I love nearly every liver I have tasted save one -- monkfish liver. The texture of liver and taste of fish, however mild, made me gag. I could not get it down my throat.

Edited by Willly (log)

Coming from a long line of fishermen, I am embarrassed not to love fish ('though I do like it). Unlike my ancestors, I grew up in a land-locked place. I will do almost anything to avoid cleaning or even handling a fish. Ironically, my chagrin at not loving to eat fish does not prevent me from looking down on meat-and-potatoes types who don't eat fish for no reason other than that fish is too exotic. I guess I distinguish myself as someone who can appreciate the gastronomical appeal of fish, as opposed to some supposedly unsophisticated rube who cannot appreciate it at all! :laugh:

Anyway, I forgot to say that I also usually hate ketchup. Oddly, though, I actually crave it about twice a year or so, and really enjoy it that one time with some good fries. The rest of  the time, however, I really can't stand it. Maybe partly because it causes my eyelids to sweat every time I eat it, which is kind of freaky and unpleasant. No other food causes this particular phenomenon.

Cheers.

Squeat

Sorry about quoting something from way back, but I just caught this. Maybe it's the vinegar in the ketchup. I've had similar reactions from the uber-sour candies out now. It's kind of like the shudder you do when you feel a draft. What my grandmother called a "frisson". Then your face feels wet, or at least clammy.

Been there. I think I know what you mean.

This may or may not be related to the cramp-like sensation where the jaw meets the neck after the first sip of a dry wine. Or something else tannic/acidic. Is there a name for that? There should be.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

This may or may not be related to the cramp-like sensation where the jaw meets the neck after the first sip of a dry wine. Or something else tannic/acidic. Is there a name for that? There should be.

I know what you mean -

Does anyone else get a weird tightening sensation in the center of their chest from some blue cheeses, artichokes, or red wine?

Maybe we shd start a new thread on the physiology of food reactions?

I know what you mean -

Does anyone else get a weird tightening sensation in the center of their chest from some blue cheeses, artichokes, or red wine?

You do know that tightening of the chest is bad, right? You may be allergic to something in there, and I'd get it checked out, in all seriousness. A twinge in the jaw is one thing, but chest pains, don't play around with them..

Now officially concerned.

artichokes give me a tickling sensation in the back of the throat. actually, even *thinking* about artichokes gives me a tickling sensation in the back of the throat. this quickly turns into a craving and a jones, which i'm having right now. and i even had artichokes at lunch.

Probably a pet store is your best bet, Stone. You know: the ones the reptile and amphibian owners buy as food for their pets.

It's likely that they won't be organic - maybe there are some pointers somewhere for 'cleaning' them out? Feeding them on a diet for a certain period of time, until you're sure they're digestive systems are...ahem...flushed?

Surely there is some wacko posting on the Net that has already tried such an experiement! I'm gonna go Google it now...

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

I can't do sliced tomatoes.  Sun dried?  Sure.  Salsa?  Absolutely.  Tomato soup?  One of my favorites.  Sliced tomato?  Makes me shiver just thinking about it.

AMEN!!! :wub: (see my earlier post)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I know what you mean -

You do know that tightening of the chest is bad, right? You may be allergic to something in there, and I'd get it checked out, in all seriousness. A twinge in the jaw is one thing, but chest pains, don't play around with them..

Now officially concerned.

I was going to say the same thing.

If you've had that sensation all your life, it's probably nothing. But if you haven't, or you've never mentioned it to your dr, please take Roux's advice to heart.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Oh! That happens to other people too? Its such a weird feeling.

My first guess was that it has something to do with teeth sensitivity, but upon further reflection my best guess is that its a feeling caused by the salivary glands producing more saliva in response to the acid stimulus...I guess they sort of "squeeze". Still, is there any medical term to describe that?

As to my "food hate", its not really food and its not really hate, but I just can't learn to appreciate the finer qualities of grappa. To me it just tastes like diesel. And I continue to drink it anyway, hoping one day I'll eventually learn to like it!

OK, guys - now you've got me thinking. I have had that reaction all my life, but only to SOME blue cheeses, SOME red wines, etc. BUT I'm the same one who described, a few pages back, about how I lost my sense of smell due to severe allergic reaction to a H & H bagel! So, you may be on to something there...I'll check it out when I get a chance.

And, BTW, it's not exactly a tightening of the chest, sort of the same feeling you get sometimes when you swollow wrong and you feel an ache for a few seconds while it passes. Oh Jeez, maybe no one else gets that!

And, BTW, it's not exactly a tightening of the chest, sort of the same feeling you get sometimes when you swollow wrong and you feel an ache for a few seconds while it passes. Oh Jeez, maybe no one else gets that!

I get that, sometimes with a swallow of water. I am told it is an esophageal spasm. Yes... It hurts. But, if it only occurs with certain foods, there could be an allergy thing going on.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

OK, guys - now you've got me thinking. I have had that reaction all my life, but only to SOME blue cheeses, SOME red wines, etc. BUT I'm the same one who described, a few pages back, about how I lost my sense of smell due to severe allergic reaction to a H & H bagel! So, you may be on to something there...I'll check it out when I get a chance.

how about cantaloupes?

Port. It just comes off as too thick and sweet to me. I do appreciate a nice stinky cheese though.

Personally, after reading the "foods people hate that I love" thread, I'm considering a one-woman campaign to make lutefisk the next foodie "thing." With the popularity of Marcus Samuellsen and Aquavit, I'm thinking it could probably be cinch. Just ride the Scandanavian foods interest, get it branded as an "aquired taste" and drone on and on about the exquisite texture (ok it's mucus-y, even I know that).

Hey, it seems to have worked pretty well for durian... :raz:

Edited by laurenmilan (log)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Okay, I'll eat, but I don't love, all the assertive, coarse and wiry, sharp and spicy greens in many fancy mixed-green salads. Eating arugula is like chewing weeds. The only greens I really love in my salads are mild and tender Bibb and red leaf, and even crisp but still mild Romaine. Even iceberg is better than arugula.

Nope, Tryska, cantalope doesn't do it. Why do y ask? The more I've been thinking about this, I realized that I've felt the reaction my whole life, so that's why I thought it was more universal. (Now thinking of how yummy cantalope is...muskmelon even better... must go to the store for lunch! )

there could be an allergy thing going on.

Actually, I have gotten that sensation when I drink - it's kind of an ache in what I thought were my glands (someone describe it above "as where the jaw meets the neck") so I have always assumed I am somewhat allergic to alcohol.

It doesn't happen all the time, and I never paid attention to what might be causing it (i.e. red wine vs hard liquor).

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Yeah, I get that. It's like a big air bubble.

I've also been told that this is what a heart attack feels like for some people. That's why they give you morphine when you are having one, because the pain does not disappear after a few seconds. The red wine, "stinky" cheese, and artichokes have all been shown to be common migraine triggers as well.

Back to my original point about the jaw thing. I know other people had to have it, because I saw it on an episode of the old sitcom "Martin". Martin and his girlfriend, both take a sip of wine, then massage the spot while wincing.

I'll have to ask a doctor at work tomorrow, but I can't tell you what this is called... There's nothing on the 'net, or else I'm searching for the wrong thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Many people in my life have served it as their crowning jewell, that special meal to drop someone's jaw ... but I really don't care for French onion soup.

Between the over-rich base, the unwieldy bread layer and the staggering quantity of cheese gumming up my spoon, teeth and belly — I just find it to be overkill in a bowl. Yes, I've had it many ways, and I always feel the same. I could just as easily eat a grilled cheese and sip a humble, brothy cup of something else.

However, my dislike for French onion has always made me want to create a thinner, more dignified onion soup. I'd even consider garnishing it, lightly, with cheese.