• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco

geoff

3 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

I thought we had a recent topic about this but not seeing it.

Yeah, someone was saying that they got some beans for a great price at $3 each and I was thinking that's not such a great price.  But then I went and counted the number of beans in the half pound I recently bought and turns out they were about $2 each wholesale.  So $3 retail isn't that unreasonable!

• 4 months later...

Wasn't sure where to post this...

"Costco is selling a 24-pound wedding 'cake' made entirely of cheese"

Costco is selling an artisan wedding cake made entirely of gourmet cheese.

For $439, this five-tier 24-pound “cake” from Sid Wainer & Son can serve 105 to 150 guests at your wedding, and it includes Red Leicester, Danish Blue, Murcia al Vino, Tuscan Sheep’s Cheese and Brillat Savarin Triple Cream Brie, according to the description.

Edited to add, yes, it's a "cheese" cake. ;) :laugh:

Edited by Toliver (log)
  • Haha 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 4 months later...

Costco is now selling "cheese flights". Your cheese course has been vetted for you:

"Costco Is Selling Packaged Cheese Flights for Under $20"

On Saturday, a popular Instagram account Costco Deals noted that a brand new packaged cheese flight had hit the shelves at the warehouse club — and at a price that wouldn’t break the bank.

“These #kirklandsignature #cheese flights are the best!! Now a new summer #cheeseflight is available! Only $19.99!” the account wrote, alongside a picture of the Kirkland Signature Cheese Flight, which featured five different kinds of cheese: Monteau Alpine, Cabot Clothbound Cheddar, a red wine-soaked goat cheese, 12-month-aged Manchego, and dijon herb-rubbed Fontina.

My sister-in-law has been offering a charcuterie board at get-togethers and this will simply her life greatly. 

Has anyone encountered this new product at their local Costco?

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

8 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Costco is now selling "cheese flights". Your cheese course has been vetted for you:

"Costco Is Selling Packaged Cheese Flights for Under $20"

My sister-in-law has been offering a charcuterie board at get-togethers and this will simply her life greatly. 

Yes.  This has caught my eye for the past month or so.  Seems to be largely composed of cheeses otherwise available from Costco.  I'm still waiting for the occasion that will justify buying that much cheese at once, or for a cheese on the board that I have to have!

• Like 2

No, but then Costco US doesn't always carry the same stuff as Costco CA.  especially since dairy imports are controlled thanks our protected dairy industry.  It's also why it is rare to see imported butter and wht we can.pay over $6.00 a pound for butter.  Can you tell I'm a bit.bitter about that?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Yes, I saw them just recently.   I think they had a couple types of varieties.  I have lots of cheese in the cheese drawer, so I didn't pay too much attention.  Arizona Costcos.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Arkansas, the home of WalMart, we don't have Costco, and I'm really not sure how well Sam's compares. At Sam's, my standard purchases are paper products, laundry detergent, rotissiere chicken (how is it they cook a ginormous chicken and sell it for less than I can buy a whole, raw one at the grocery?), frozen seafood, fruit, and some frozen food. I will occasionally buy Wright's bacon, which is a couple of bucks cheaper than at the grocery. Oh, and snack foods -- Rice Krispy treats, oatmeal cakes (Little Debbie brand), and such.

Oh, and the protein shakes my doc told me to drink. 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

Here in Arkansas, the home of WalMart, we don't have Costco,

We just spent a week in AR, Little Rock to Hot Springs to Fayetteville area.  I was kind of surprised at no Costco for the area.  I found the Whole Foods. 

I spent a fair bit of time looking for Sorghum syrup to bring home.  Couldn't locate it in any of the stores I went in.

19 hours ago, robirdstx said:

We went to Costco - just to browse - and came home with these...

When DH and I go to Grocery Outlet for milk, eggs and wine and come out with a cartload, one of us will usually mutter while going out the door, "she said she wasn't  hungry..."

921451811_ScreenShot2019-07-08at7_35_38AM.png.8202f8bde923105368ec386b8b61a8b7.png

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Haha 4

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

We just spent a week in AR, Little Rock to Hot Springs to Fayetteville area.  I was kind of surprised at no Costco for the area.  I found the Whole Foods. 

I spent a fair bit of time looking for Sorghum syrup to bring home.  Couldn't locate it in any of the stores I went in.

You can usually find it at small country stores and farmers' markets. I get mine when I go up home, at a local market; they are the outlet for a local maker. I do know you can order from Broadbent's, the country ham people. If you'd like, I'll get you some this fall when the new crop comes out and ship it to you. 

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 3 weeks later...

Since my local Costco Food Court stopped carrying the Polish Dogs, I ended up buying them in the refrigerated section of Costco. There are 14 Polish Dogs in a Costco package. I break them down into smaller packages (2 dogs per plastic zippered bag) and store them in my freezer. It was too hot to cook last night  so I chopped up the dogs, heated them in my microwave, then mixed them with a nice mustard and some pickled onions (didn't have sauerkraut on hand which would have been ideal). The Polish Dogs are quite "rich" so you really need to eat them with something acidic for a nice balance. 

They're quite long and you definitely need an extra long bun if you're going that route in consuming them. 

That being said, the last time I was at Costco I noticed they had removed the BBQ sandwich off the menu board. WTF? :shock:

Why would they remove that delicious sandwich and leave the fake protein Al Pastor salad on the menu? I just couldn't believe it.

And that innocuous Chicken Bake was still there. It's is so bland I don't know why it's still hanging around. It's the "beige" of food court foods.

Now if Costco just put some of their Costco Pesto inside them, it would improve them 100-fold.

But hey, I'm not in charge...I just pretend I am...:cool:

• Haha 1

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

Since my local Costco Food Court stopped carrying the Polish Dogs, I ended up buying them in the refrigerated section of Costco. There are 14 Polish Dogs in a Costco package. I break them down into smaller packages (2 dogs per plastic zippered bag) and store them in my freezer. It was too hot to cook last night  so I chopped up the dogs, heated them in my microwave, then mixed them with a nice mustard and some pickled onions (didn't have sauerkraut on hand which would have been ideal). The Polish Dogs are quite "rich" so you really need to eat them with something acidic for a nice balance. 

They're quite long and you definitely need an extra long bun if you're going that route in consuming them. 

That being said, the last time I was at Costco I noticed they had removed the BBQ sandwich off the menu board. WTF? :shock:

Why would they remove that delicious sandwich and leave the fake protein Al Pastor salad on the menu? I just couldn't believe it.

And that innocuous Chicken Bake was still there. It's is so bland I don't know why it's still hanging around. It's the "beige" of food court foods.

Now if Costco just put some of their Costco Pesto inside them, it would improve them 100-fold.

But hey, I'm not in charge...I just pretend I am...:cool:

(I'd be happy if they'd just supply table/seating where you could attack your rotisserie chicken comfortably.    I am 'enery the 8th, I am!   'enery the 8th I am, I am....)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

attack your rotisserie chicken comfortably.

I may have, not that long ago, taken a Costco chicken and Costco baguettes into a brewery taproom (the kind of place that allows you to bring in your own food to have with their beers) and done exactly *that* Mediaeval-Style.  Including a tankard to pound on the table for refills.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

@Toliver The Costcos in my area stopped carrying the 14-packs. I double-checked with my favorite cashier at that Costco and he verified that they were gone. I shop at 5 different Costcos, but I've only checked at the 2 closest to my home. I didn't see them in the Costco Business Center I go to either.

Color me a bit jealous. 

I don't buy them for home use but for part of a couple of ren faire related BBQs.

ETA I need to check the Fullerton Costco the next time I'm there since it's a different management region. 

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

16 hours ago, Porthos said:

ETA I need to check the Fullerton Costco the next time I'm there since it's a different management region. 

This. This is the key. 

The Costco's down in San Diego & Santee are wonderfully run. You always find what you're looking for and it's usually in-stock.

My local Costco's are run by a different regional manager and I can sure tell the difference. The products being offered are either odd or definitely something for the "B Team". A lot of what I can find in the San Diego Costco's are completely missing in my local Costco's. It's frustrating to say the least.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...

These are currently being test-marketed:

"Costco Is Selling BBQ Brisket Slider Kits for the Easiest Weeknight Dinner"

Costco’s Kirkland is making dinner beyond simple with its new Pit Smoke Brisket Sliders kit.
The concept is similar to that Costco street-tacos kit that went viral back in January. Everything you need to assemble the meal is cooked and included, so all you have to do is build your sliders (and warm it up, if you want to). The brisket sliders kit includes pit-smoked beef brisket, nine Kings Hawaiian Rolls, barbecue sauce, fresh shredded vegetables, and coleslaw dressing.
...the Pit Smoke Brisket Sliders kit is being tested in 20 stores before rolling out nationwide in 3 weeks.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...