• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco

geoff

How did I miss this thread? I love Costco!

I don't have the time to read through the entire thread, but here are some of my favorites (sorry if they're repeats):

Organic Half N Half

Kirkland Cheese, I can't remember the exact name, but the look like Baby Belles and taste like cheddar

Parmesan Crisps

Korean Pork Jerky

Lamb chops

Kirkland Gin! This stuff is great, I'll write a more detailed report in the Cocktail forum.

Kirkland Vodka

Truffle Salt

I'll add more to this thread as I think of them. I have a huge list.

I buy cheese at Costco  - far too often given that I am usually the only one in the house who eats it.  I like the Sartori Merlot Bellavitano, which at my store periodically alternates with other Sartori varieties that I generally don't like as much.  The Cabot extra sharp cheddar is tasty and a good value - especially on sale.  

I often buy Kirkland maple syrup, olive oil and balsamic vinegar as well.  Their vanilla extract used to be (and perhaps still is) a great item at a great price, but I won't pay what it costs these days (at any store).  I now have a big bottle of imitation vanilla and am reserving the last of my sub-$10 Costco natural bottle for when it seems like it might make a difference.  I'll second Smokeydoke's  recommendation for Kirkland gin as well.

Does anyone buy seafood at Costco?  I am often tempted by their wild caught salmon and shrimp when they have a big fresh seafood display.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rustwood said:

3 hours ago, rustwood said:

Does anyone buy seafood at Costco?  I am often tempted by their wild caught salmon and shrimp when they have a big fresh seafood display.

They had a seafood display there this week and I fleetingly thought about getting some shrimp but then i saw they were previously frozen ones from Thailand so passed.

5 hours ago, rustwood said:

Does anyone buy seafood at Costco?  I am often tempted by their wild caught salmon and...

I buy fresh local seafood at Costco all the time.  Let your nose be your guide, and don't be afraid to ask the monger to open a package for a sniff.

23 hours ago, boilsover said:

I like their Prime cuts, especially the spinalis dorsi "cap" they cut off the ribeye and tie into rounds. 

How is this labeled in the Costco stores? As a ribeye cap? How do you usually prepare this cut? Similar to this link, perhaps?  http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/meet-the-ribeye-cap-the-tastiest-cut-on-the-cow.html

1 minute ago, FauxPas said:

How is this labeled in the Costco stores? As a ribeye cap? How do you usually prepare this cut? Similar to this link, perhaps?  http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/meet-the-ribeye-cap-the-tastiest-cut-on-the-cow.html

Yup, "ribeye cap steak".  No, not like Kenji: it's rolled and tied.  I mostly pan fry, with or without SV.

Straight from Costco.  I've seen it for as little as $9.99/pound.  The tri-tip for $7.99.

ribeye cap.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, boilsover said:

Yup, "ribeye cap steak".  No, not like Kenji: it's rolled and tied.  I mostly pan fry, with or without SV.

Straight from Costco.  I've seen it for as little as $9.99/pound.  The tri-tip for $7.99.

Thank you! I'll look for this the next time I'm at Costco! 

7 hours ago, boilsover said:

ribeye cap.jpg

Never seen it under $19/lb

I’ve purchased a couple times.  Still needed a little trimming.  Some parts can be gristley 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Still needed a little trimming.  Some parts can be gristley 

That's surprising.  Maybe a matter of individual butchers.  Still, at $10/lb., I'll gladly retrim and retie.

Oh, I get it!  It's terrible, and fatty and you really shouldn't buy it. [more for you and me]

• 3 weeks later...

I love Costco's Chicken Noodle Soup, their prime Ribeyes (though I would prefer to support local family farms), 3 packs of Classico tomato sauce, the massive chunk of sharp cheddar cheese, and their chocolate chip cookies. Pretty much my standard shopping list when I venture into the store.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2018 at 9:57 AM, ElsieD said:

They had a seafood display there this week and I fleetingly thought about getting some shrimp but then i saw they were previously frozen ones from Thailand so passed.

My problem, too.  I used to buy those huge shrimp and loved them, but I won't anymore.

I love new people, they resurrect old threads!

To continue my Costco love:

Environmentally responsible dish soap, this stuff is the best, especially for Cast Iron cookware

Charmin Ultra Soft, cheapest anywhere

Sabatino Tartufi truffle zest and truffle salt. I love these on burgers

Better than Bouillon Beef Base

As others have mentioned, their cheddar cheese is excellent. I also recommend Kirkland Brie and Kirkland Bleu Cheese.

I buy their fresh-caught salmon, but only because it's cheaper and easier for me to buy there than the fishmonger. I've had better quality salmon, but Kirkland's is not bad.

Ditto on the scallops, they are not dry-packed, but they taste ok and are cheaper.

I used to buy their chocolate chip cookies, but it would take me days to eat them, so I stopped. I like their crispy ones better than their cakey ones.

Edited by Smokeydoke (log)
  • Like 1

I get the big-ass bottles of POM pomegranate juice from Costco. It's far cheaper than what you can buy in grocery stores. It's quite tart so it's a good mixer for cocktails, or added to Canada Dry ginger ale or iced tea.

• Delicious 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

haha, I can relate.  I went to Costco with a friend on Saturday saying I didn't need anything after having bought tons of food at Fort Lee Fairway during the week and after having bought a lot at Costco a month ago.  And I spent $167.

Here's the list.  (z = ounce)

Dawn Ultra Platinum Advanced power 90 fl oz $9.69 x 3 (two for hostess gifts; don't judge lol!)

Grey Poupon Dijon mustard 2-pack 16z each $6.79

Kirkland wild-caught sockeye salmon 8 (6z) individually vacuum packed & quick frozen boneless skin on, total is 3 lb, portion size 5z-7z, product of Russia $34.89  (it used to come from Alaska; hmmmm, don't love this)

Mrs. Dash original salt-free 21z $9.99

Organic no-salt Kirkland seasoning 14.5z $7.99

Chosen Foods toasted sesame oil (flavorful finishing oil) 33.8 fl oz $8.59

Litehouse freeze-dried parsley(one jar is equal to three fresh bunches) .53z $4.29

Litehouse freeze-dried dill .81z $5.49 (One jar is equal to two fresh bunches

Litehouse freeze-dried chives .44z $4.39 (all glass jars)

Made in Nature organic dates, deglet noor dates 32z $7.99

organic frozen berry supreme (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries)3lb $7.99

Heinz vinegar  1.32 gal (5 liters), $2.99 x 2

Alouette brie $3

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I haven't bought Nutella in years, but I felt compelled to buy the Kirkland Hazelnut Spread this weekend -  $7.99 for two 1 kg jars.  I am not an aficionado by any means, but it tastes petty good to me.  I probably won't buy it again, but only because I don't want to eat so much of it.

• 3 months later...

Someone posted in another Costco discussion that their Costco stopped selling polish dogs-to-go.

It looks like more Costco's are following suit:

"Costco food court takes polish dogs off the menu"

At many Costco stores around Seattle, Washington and beyond, the Polish hotdog is being removed from the menu, and healthier options are being added.

The popular item is part of an inexpensive meal combo (it's a $1.50 for a Polish dog and soda). The Seattle Times reports the original all-beef hotdog will still be available.

Note that the Costco's may still sell the polish dogs in the refrigerated section...they just won't be selling them ready-to-go.

Another article mentions some new to-go items:

"Costco makes food court changes: Say goodbye to the polish dog, hello to healthy options"

Costco has also introduced an al pastor salad at many locations - also vegetarian. The $4.99 salad is made of plant-based protein (soy), romaine lettuce, black beans, banh mi vegetables and dressing.

Plant-based protein? My, doesn't that sound yummy?  ¬¬ 

Don't even get me started on the Acai bowl. ¬¬

Like I go to the Costco food court to buy food that's healthy for me. >:( Idiots! :laugh:

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

One thing about Canada, change happens v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y at the Costcos here.  I have been a member for maybe 8 years and have seen 2 changes, that I can recall.  They dropped a very good salad with cranberries and to make room for a disgusting chicken caesar one and added a turkey provolone sandwich which isn't half bad.  I can't remember what it replaced.  Other than the salad and sandwich, there is the hot dog,  chicken wings and pizza.  I try to avoid the place except for the 25 cents bottles of water.

• Like 1

What I have noticed is that they are taking away low price-point choices and replacing them with pricier items. I tend to want more snack food choices and less mealtime choices.

A vegetarian al pastor salad? Really.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I love that hot dog.  What a dumb idea.  Like Chik-fil-A deciding to replace their delicious slaw (oddly it is hard to find good slaw either in a store of restaurant) with the so-called "Superfood Side salad".  No thank you - when I am eating fried chicken sandwiches, I want SLAW.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...