• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco

geoff

On the spur of the moment I purchased the double pack of pre-made turkey gravy (comes in plastic containers) found in the refrigerated cases (I can't recall the brand name...will post it tomorrow).

It was terrible. Bad. Anemic. It had no oomph to it at all. I had to do some major doctoring to it to make it taste halfway decent. I won't be buying that mistake again. :angry:

Sorry to get back so late with the name of the company. The brand is Harry's.

I was at Costco yesterday. I got:

Dubliner old irish cheddar...

I am always thrilled to see their broad selection of different cheeses from different countries. They must have a buyer who gives a darn about the food they put out for them to offer so many varieties.

I hear you. I used to spend too much money on a tiny block of cheese at Whole Foods or Central Market. Now I get an ACME brick for the same price. That Dubliner is good stuff.

• 11 months later...

I just tried the Costco organic chicken stock. It's really good for a commercial stock. They used to carry Pacific Natural organic stock. While it gets good reviews (like on Amazon), I thought it was really bland. Since I am mostly too busy to make my own stock and I use a lot of stock in a week, I am thrilled with the new Costco stock.

Prime cuts usually show up at Costco around the holidays. The issue I tend to have with the prime steaks are that they're often not cut well. Many of the steaks are uneven in thickness. So, I tend to go for the roast. It's cheaper and I can do a better job cutting steaks myself. For the cheapest price, get the roast whole. If there aren't any in the cases, ask someone to see if there are some in the back. It's often $1 or more cheaper per pound. Frankly, I use their choice cuts often and they're quite good as well.

I was lucky to get a few packs of chanterelles. I wonder how much longer those will stay around.

I've tried the porchetta a few times. It's actually really good. Follow the instructions and the skin comes out nice and crisp, even if you reheat it when you have leftovers. Seasoning is a little strong, with lots of herbs and maybe a little heavy on the salt. But all in all, a good product.

i saw the stock, but i didn't like that it was in big containers....

Ha - I go through a whole case every 1-2 weeks. I especially like that I can use a little and then seal it up and put it in the fridge till I need more.

• 1 month later...

Just noticed that Costco, at least in the Northeast US, is now selling cheeses aged and packaged by Artisanal. We tried the Tomme Fermier D'Alsace today and it was terrific -- one of the best pieces of cheese I've had in recent memory.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 1 year later...

After buying boxes and boxes of Reynolds Aluminum Foil in regular grocery stores, I switched to the Costco FoodService box of aluminum foil. It was huge and expensive when compared to the normal boxes of foil you buy in the regular grocery stores. The first foodservice box of foil I bought at Costco lasted me quite a while. So when I bought my second foodservice box of foil, I decided to date the box so I would know how long the box lasted me.

Now I am a moderate home cook, cooking for one. By moderate I mean I do eat out a day or two during the week but do most of my own cooking for the rest of my meals. I'd use the aluminum foil for lining baking sheets, wrapping leftovers, etc, just general use.

This weekend I used the last of this second box of foil and saw that I had dated the box "9/21/08". This Costco Foodservice box of aluminum foil lasted me just over four years and one month. :shock:

Now if only Costco sold the Reynolds Release (nonstick) aluminum foil in a simlarly sized foodservice box, I'd be a happy camper...er, I mean "cook"! :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 months later...

I used to be able to get the Kirkland brand 4-cheese ravioli, which were great--and that my 18-mo. old would reliably eat. (He won't touch any of the other frozen ravioli I've tried.) I can't find them anymore at the Costco stores in my area (Reno, NV). The only ravioli I can find now are the spinach and mozzarella. Are they still available anywhere, or are they gone for good?

I used to be able to get the Kirkland brand 4-cheese ravioli, which were great--and that my 18-mo. old would reliably eat. (He won't touch any of the other frozen ravioli I've tried.) I can't find them anymore at the Costco stores in my area (Reno, NV). The only ravioli I can find now are the spinach and mozzarella. Are they still available anywhere, or are they gone for good?

I've seen ravioli at my local Costco but haven't noticed whether it was the 4-cheese variety. Will look next time I go.

On the way out of your Costco, you should see a suggestion box. Stop and drop in your suggestion to keep the 4-cheese ravioli in stock (the suggestion box area should have pieces of paper there to write on. You usually are asked to include your membership number on the slip).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 10 months later...

I make my own pb so I can't address your question directly. However, I can't imagine that either would be less than desirable, so have you considered buying both then doing a blind taste test -- maybe with a bunch of friends?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

OK.... i did go back to Costco and buy the regular non organic 100% valencia peanut butter. i didnt need to do a blind taste test. after i stired it and chilled it in the fridge i tasted them both side by side. to my taste... the organic has a stronger more roasted peanut taste.

i LOVE valencia peanuts... they are sweeter and have more of the taste i am looking for in peanut butter.

anyway....i like the organic better. so i am going to give away the regular to a friend of mine that craves any peanut butter.

i always keep my peanut butter in the fridge.... i keep all nut butters in the fridge... and sometimes in the freezer. even when i use to eat Jif ... i always kept it in the fridge, I have never had any go bad on me but the natural butters are alot better off refridgerated.....

for me anyway.

i dont mind that when i get them they need to be stired..... thats just the way they are and its ok with me. i stir them once and then the fridge keeps them nice and silky smooth.... and ready for whatever i put it on.

i guess i answered my own question here. i should really have never bothered to post it because everybody likes something different

when it comes to nut butters. its a very personal thing.... peanut butter. lol

i happen to love the tase of valencia peanuts while others may find them not to their liking.

SO i am thrilled to find that costco now carries this peanut butter. even if i couldnt get the organic.... i'd still buy the regular because of the kind of peanuts they use. i was always buying valencia peanut butter from Trader Joes till that went away. i am a huge Costo fan and it was only by accident

that i discovered they have this peanut butter. i had given up hope of ever getting good valencia peanut butter ever again.

ok well.....thanks for posting your opinions.

now i gotta go... i think i feel an peanut butter slathered apple coming on. lol

Edited by SpaghettiWestern (log)
  • Like 1

Actually, I thought this was a very appropriate post. In fact, the next time I'm at Costco--probably in a couple of weeks--I think I'll pick up a jar of the organic and compare it to my usual.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Define regular. ThanksI have the regular in the pantry right now. It's a little runny. Could use a deep stirring. The tall container requires a longer utensil to get to the bottom to mix completely

Barspoon, scuba.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Hmm. My mad scientist self wonders about an immersion blender. Could be a disaster. Could be brilliant. Has anyone ever tried it?

The way to avoid the stirring altogether is to store it (before opening, at least) upside down. The oil attempts to float to the top and basically self-emulsifies.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

The way to avoid the stirring altogether is to store it (before opening, at least) upside down. The oil attempts to float to the top and basically self-emulsifies.

i like that idea but... but....who can wait for it to self emulsify ?

when i get it home.... i want it NOW ! lol

i dont mind the mess of getting it stired up ... then i get to lick the spoon.

• Like 1