• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco

geoff

Last Saturday I picked up a 2 pack of Prime New York. Yes, you read that right. Prime. It wasn't even that expensive either. Like $10 a pound? That's like $1 more than Choice. Cooked it SV at 140 then finished it in a cash iron with some canola oil.

Until this thread popped up, I hadn't really examined their beef choices. I was stunned to find Prime beef there this week -- I had assumed everything was Choice.

I just picked up some prime rib eyes at costco, they are only $1.50 more than choice. Very good. Very tender, nice and beefy

I got some too. I used them to try out the pepper steak recipe in the "Fall Entertaining" issue of Cook's Illustrated. This was a big hit with both of us. I ate the leftovers cold for breakfast. Yum.

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone knows when the Kirkland Toscano is supposed to show up?

If you call or ask at the service desk, they should be able to tell you when they're expecting it, or if they're expecting it at all (I found out my local Costco would no longer be carrying frozen cranberries that way).

• 1 month later...
The frozen chilean sea bass is amazing.  I just add olive oil and salt and put it one inch under the broiler two minutes per side.

Is Costco selling Chilean sea bass? That's not good. . .

Do they say anything about from where or how it is sourced?

Edited by prasantrin (log)

• 4 weeks later...

I have never checked out the flour there because I always used so little. But since I have been baking a lot lately, I am thinking about maybe buying in bulk. Can anyone comment on the quality of their unbleached flour brand(s)?

I have never checked out the flour there because I always used so little.  But since I have been baking a lot lately, I am thinking about maybe buying in bulk.  Can anyone comment on the quality of their unbleached flour brand(s)?

The stuff that Costco carries varies by region. For example, when I lived in Boston they carried King Arthur AP flour, which I liked a lot. They carried other brands in Michigan and Washington, but I haven't tried any of those. Where are you/what brand do they carry there?

Recently tried the frozen wild salmon -- nice-size individual fillets in cryovac pouches -- and thought it was quite good. It's also incredibly convenient.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Recently tried the frozen wild salmon -- nice-size individual fillets in cryovac pouches -- and thought it was quite good. It's also incredibly convenient.

I love the wild sockey salmon....no bones, no skin, no cutting....

Our Costco (in Vancouver) stocks indivdually cryovac portions of tuna...albacore, I believe- about 8 pieces per bag. I threw it on the grill after a quick marinade and it was very good. It was about twice the size of the salmon fillets, and cost about $5.00 less.

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

I have never checked out the flour there because I always used so little.  But since I have been baking a lot lately, I am thinking about maybe buying in bulk.  Can anyone comment on the quality of their unbleached flour brand(s)?

The stuff that Costco carries varies by region. For example, when I lived in Boston they carried King Arthur AP flour, which I liked a lot. They carried other brands in Michigan and Washington, but I haven't tried any of those. Where are you/what brand do they carry there?

Unfortunately, I answered my own question. When I checked out the selection here in NJ, they only carry bleached flour, one brand-two sizes. No King arthur or organic flours like I had seen online. I guess I'll keep looking.

• 4 months later...

A few new favorites at Costco - frozen Cod and Mahi Mahi. I had purchased frozen fish (don't remember which kind) there from time to time and wasn't that pleased. Both of these products are excellant and a great value. Also, their frozen mixed berries - much better than the ones in my local supermarket. Lastly,Madras curry lentil chili - comes in small packages perfect size for my daughter to eat after school before she delves into the ice cream. I have also been buying the thin Arnolds? whole wheat sandwich roles to keep on hand in the freezer.

• 4 weeks later...

On the spur of the moment I purchased the double pack of pre-made turkey gravy (comes in plastic containers) found in the refrigerated cases (I can't recall the brand name...will post it tomorrow).

It was terrible. Bad. Anemic. It had no oomph to it at all. I had to do some major doctoring to it to make it taste halfway decent. I won't be buying that mistake again. :angry:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Chanterelles are back! Its now $10 per pound. I also found Alexia waffle fries for $6ish per 4 lbs bag.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

On the spur of the moment I purchased the double pack of pre-made turkey gravy (comes in plastic containers) found in the refrigerated cases (I can't recall the brand name...will post it tomorrow).

It was terrible. Bad. Anemic. It had no oomph to it at all. I had to do some major doctoring to it to make it taste halfway decent. I won't be buying that mistake again. :angry:

Sorry to get back so late with the name of the company. The brand is Harry's.

I was at Costco yesterday. I got:

Dubliner old irish cheddar...

I am always thrilled to see their broad selection of different cheeses from different countries. They must have a buyer who gives a darn about the food they put out for them to offer so many varieties.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver