• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco

geoff

The Costco in my neck of the woods routinely has a 20-30 minute wait just to get into the parking lot.  The cars are backed up out the parking lot drive, 2 blocks up the street through an intersection, then down the exit ramp and a good 1/4 mile out onto the local highway.

Granted, it's not like this all day, but late afternoons/early evenings & weekends, fuggidaboudit.

Are Costcos like this everywhere?  Are they really worth that much aggravation?

It can be like that at the one closest to my house, but I've learned not to shop on Saturday mornings and it seems to help. I was there yesterday around 3:00 and it was dead empty (or as dead empty as Costco gets). I think you just have to figure out the pattern of the one in your area and hope that your schedule accomodates their down times.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

I paid $25 for a 5g jar.  Is that good or bad?

I'd say 5 bucks a gram is a good price for Spanish saffron...

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyssaffron.html

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I got a large container of mixed dried mushrooms but not from the same brand as another member previously mentioned.

I wish I could find duck or confit at my Costco, but I haven't yet. I have been waiting for the return of chantrelles. I only got in two packs last time. At $10 a pack, they were a bargain!

The saffron is in--I just bought a jar yesterday.  :biggrin:

Not in Hawaii yet... Was it featured on an endcap, or was it in the regular spice aisle? I keep checking!

It was in the regular spice aisle, on the very bottom of the shelf--not really being showcased or promoted at all. I paid $25 for a 5g jar. Is that good or bad? Anyway, I haven't broken the seal yet, but it looks lovely and red-gold.

I was just at a Costco here in Southern California this afternoon, and didn't find the saffron on the spice aisle.

The guy at the front looked it up and said they had a large quantity up to the other day, but then it was pulled and returned to the vendor, system-wide. There wasn't any information where he was looking as to why.

Might want to find out the reason before using it, in case it's something about the saffron itself. Although if it was potentially hazardous there would probably be some kind of recall news, I suppose.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

The saffron is in--I just bought a jar yesterday.   :biggrin:

Not in Hawaii yet... Was it featured on an endcap, or was it in the regular spice aisle? I keep checking!

It was in the regular spice aisle, on the very bottom of the shelf--not really being showcased or promoted at all. I paid $25 for a 5g jar. Is that good or bad? Anyway, I haven't broken the seal yet, but it looks lovely and red-gold.

I was just at a Costco here in Southern California this afternoon, and didn't find the saffron on the spice aisle.

The guy at the front looked it up and said they had a large quantity up to the other day, but then it was pulled and returned to the vendor, system-wide. There wasn't any information where he was looking as to why.

Might want to find out the reason before using it, in case it's something about the saffron itself. Although if it was potentially hazardous there would probably be some kind of recall news, I suppose.

Thanks for the update--I'll check before using it. If I learn something, I'll post it here.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

Thanks for the update--I'll check before using it. If I learn something, I'll post it here.

i bought some yesterday, also in So CA...will be interested to hear...I was going to use it in class tonight...I guess I'll use the Trader Joe's until I hear what's up....

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

OK. Was there again today, and there was saffron. Bought it. Looks good.

Also Mario's new book, Italian Grill, just to keep my Mario catalogue up to date. However leafing through I did see grilled polenta, which is something I would like to make more, and have fall apart less.

Priscilla

i bought some yesterday, also in So CA...will be interested to hear...I was going to use it in class tonight...I guess I'll use the Trader Joe's until I hear what's up....

follow up: it was still on the shelf at my so ca costco yesterday, and i saw nothing about a recall on their site, so i'm going to go ahead and open that saffron. it looks gorgeous, btw. anyone actually used it yet?

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

• 4 months later...

As others have mentioned earlier in this thread, the Costco Balsamic vinegar is delicious!

While in the store for the usual salmon fillet and printer cartridges, I bought it for the first time just last week, after all these years NOT buying it, and can now regret not doing so sooner. Very good product.

Priscilla

I buy the baby backs that have been mentioned and the cryopak pork loins. Make great Canadian Bacon. I think their meat is very good.

I avoid their seafood as why would I want farmed atlantic salmon when I live in Seattle? I tried their scallops and they were wet not dry so I gave up on their seafood

I have found their Coleman brand organic whole chickens are out standing. That is what I use to make my stock from now. About $20 for 7-8 qts of chicken stock.

I've not tried their Basalmic but I will now, thanks. their EVOO is along with 365 brand from whole paycheck, my goto everyday oil. I usually buy my spices from Pensey's but maybe I will take a look at Costco.

Safeway grocery in our area has gas stations that seem to be the same price sometimes better and are much closer and available so I use which ever works at the time.

Robert

Seattle

... I live in Seattle?

I usually buy my spices from Pensey's but maybe I will take a look at Costco.

If you are in Seattle - have you tried shopping for spices at World Spice Merchants on Western, below the Market? They mail order too, if you like home delivery, but it is wonderful to walk into the store.

... I live in Seattle?

I usually buy my spices from Pensey's but maybe I will take a look at Costco.

have you tried shopping for spices at World Spice Merchants on Western, below the Market? but it is wonderful to walk into the store.

Actually, I forgot about them. I haven't been in there in years. No reason since I go to Spanish Table for wine every month or so. I will go next time and thank you for reminding me of one of our treasures locally.

Robert

Seattle

When I go to Pike Place, I like to make the rounds of World Spice, Beechers, Spanish Table and Sur La Table. I can hardly wait for the rain to come back so that I can go there on a weekend without 10,000 other people.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

As others have mentioned earlier in this thread, the Costco Balsamic vinegar is delicious!

The Costco's in my area used to carry another brand of balsamic vinegar that came in a larger bottle. Then it disappeared and the Kirkland brand showed up for about the same price but in a smaller bottle. :hmmm:

From that point forward I decided to buy my balsamic at Trader Joe's and I can't bring myself to buy the Kirkland brand. I guess I need therapy for holding a grudge agasint Kirlkland. :biggrin:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The Costco's in my area used to carry another brand of balsamic vinegar that came in a larger bottle. Then it disappeared and the Kirkland brand showed up for about the same price but in a smaller bottle. :hmmm:

From that point forward I decided to buy my balsamic at Trader Joe's and I can't bring myself to buy the Kirkland brand. I guess I need therapy for holding a grudge agasint Kirlkland. :biggrin:

The Kirkland brand I bought is a liter -- was there another larger than that? Maybe this is a reintroduction or something.

But Toliver, don't cut off your nose to spite your face! It's good! And a liter is a LOT!

Priscilla

Heck, I buy my Costco balsamic by the liter just so I can immediately pour off a pint and reduce it to a balsamic glaze. I keep it in the fridge in a squeeze bottle and use it constantly.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I'm just one person, but I still love Costco. The cash-back AMEX pays my membership fee every year. I stock up on stuff that keeps, so individual servings are a plus. I take a small lunch and a couple of snacks every day to work, so the healthy snack-type stuff is great for me. I also do periodic small OAMC sessions, and that's how I make the large quantities work for me.

My list generally includes (not all in a single trip):

- Organic chicken broth

- Penne pasta in 6 x 1lb packs

- Big packs of Babybel, Laughing Cow, and Boursin

- Parm Reg, feta

- 4 packs of salted/unsalted butter

- Cases of: organic diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, V8, LeSeur very small young early peas (a favorite from childhood)

- Larabars they're $1.39 EACH at Whole Foods, and were sub $1 per the last time I bought a box

- Fruit leather

- Kashi cereal

- Crackers: Kashi, and round water crackers.

- Huge bags of: pine nuts, open shell pistachios, mixed nuts, dried fruit

- Frozen fish - any of the non-breaded individually wrapped kinds - wild salmon, cod, tilapia

- Frozen raw shrimp

- 6 packs of split BSCBs (you end up w/ 12 breast halves) are perfect for batch freezer cooking.

- Vitamins, fish oil, razor blades

- Toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags, foil, plastic wrap, plastic bags (I've got a closet pantry, and it's nice to never have to worry about buying this stuff at the grocery store)

- Cheaper Jack Daniels, Kirkland vodka

- Baguettes, bagels, pita, tortillas - so convenient to have all these stashed in the freezer.

- Roses for Mom and grandma just because.

I buy a lot of produce in the winter

- Giant tubs of spring mix

- Campari tomatoes - like a lot of people have mentioned, these ain't no substitute for early August garden tomatoes, but they're very good

- Giant packs of trimmed hericots-verts - these are seriously fresh and delicious

- Berries

- Bell peppers (can't beat 6 red peppers for $6 in the winter)

- Kiwis

Since a trip to Costco is never less than an hour and a half (that does include the $1.50 hotdog and drink for lunch), I normally pick up a rotisserie chicken for a few easy meals.

I did Sam's for a while as a piggyback on my parents' account - there really is no comparison.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

• 1 month later...

Went to my local Costco for the first time. So far, I only found the nuts and the cheeses to be of particularly good value (and the selection was not ideal) but then I did not find enough time to look at everything. Almost everything was convenience or ready-made food... I read a few labels in the bakery section and decided not to try their muffins and cookies.

:sad:

I am hoping for something better in another local Costco on the other side of the river.

I have been waiting over a year but yesterday I was able to pickup a pack of Chanterelles from Costco. It was the last one too and I don't expect to see anymore either :(

Hey!

I just saw those there yesterday, too! They had a whole pallet of them and only $8.99...for what looked to be at least a pound. They seemed a little bit too old, so I didn't pick them up. But I'm hoping that if I see them again, I'll catch them when they are a little more fresh. The berkeley bowl has them regularly, but, as I recall, they are more like $15/lb.

I get various stuff like whole chickens and other meats, whatever veggies on they have, bag-o-garlic, cat litter, TP and PT's, garbage bags, zip lock bags, clothes for the kids, blu-rays. I also recommend getting the Sanyo Eneloop rechargable batteries. Fantastic.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I went to the costco on the other side of the river and was a bit disapointed to see that the products were all exactly the same there.

There were many chanterelles boxes but were no cheaper than at the other places where you can buy them around here.

Next week is seafood weekend and I hope to find a reason to keep shoping there then.