• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Craft Brewed 40s ...

Rien

Anyone seen Dogfish Heads' Liquor de Malt? I don't know how new this beer is, but it's new to me. I pilfered this description from RateBeer:

A 40-ounce, bottle-conditioned malt liquor brewed with Apache Red (red), Hickory King (white), and Taos Blue (blue) corns. The "All-American" malt liquor is packaged with a hand-stamped, Dogfish Head brown paper bag. Scheduled for a 6/15/04 release. (limited availability, 300 cases) Bottled in 40 ounce bottles.

Yes, it comes with a hand crafted brown paper bag!! The shelf tag is even better: a graffiti-styled cartoon of a kid with baggie pants and a boombox downing a 4-0 street side. Advocating artisanal public inebriation? Obviously tongue in cheek ... having both grown up with hip-hop and drowned on my share of 40s, I guess I'm part of the target market. The "Billy D. Williams-burg" kids.

This may be a remedial question, but what makes "malt liquor" malt liquor? Is it the use of corn? Is anyone else making decent malt liquor? Is it possible to sell it on the quality of the product and not it's uncanny ability to "work every time?"

rien

I bought a couple of these from the dogfish pub in Rehoboth in May. It wasn't that good. A little too much corn and not enough of de malt for my taste. Bottle conditioned! smoother than you may expect for a malt liquor, slightly sweet rummy aftertaste with just a hint of diesel fuel. Virtually no hop flavor.

OK Its not awful but I could find no reason to drink this other than the novelty value.

Here area few Malt Liquor Reviews. And while you are reading them you can direct your browser over to The Morning 40 Federation. and have a little music while you enjoy your finely crafted malt beverage.

When we came up with Andygator @ Abita I decided to enter it into the Great American Beer Festival and in the process also tried to get them to open up a new category-Premium American Malt Liquor. This was not exactly a new idea. They had opened categories in the past for people who made stuff up pretty much just to get a medal.

Not only did they not see the humor in this, but I recieved a letter telling me that our attempt to do this was being viewed as them as a poke at the manufacturers of fine Malt Liquor Beverages, who view their product as a fine beverage that appeals to all sections of the population.

What a joke! The beer industry knows what they are doing and they know who they are marketing the stuff to-College kids and poor people looking for a buzz. To imply anything else is simply not the truth.

Incidentally, I collect very little breweriana, but over the years I have collected some excellent Malt Liquor Regalia, including a fabulous backlit wall sign with Billy Dee Williams as the centerpiece. I also have a lovely St Ides Poster featuring a very young Snoop on a very cool low rider bike.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

What a joke! The beer industry knows what they are doing and they know who they are marketing the stuff to-College kids and poor people looking for a buzz. To imply anything else is simply not the truth.

Steel Reserve "High Gravity" excluded, of course.

A triumph for the art of brewing.

rien

• 1 month later...
Steel Reserve "High Gravity" excluded, of course.

A triumph for the art of brewing.

rien

Is there a problem with Steel Reserve? Someone had to pick up the torch of brain damage malt liquor after Heilemann's went bankrupt and discontinued St. Ides. If St. Ides had never existed, I would have attended the occasional class back in college and ended up wearing a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches and not ended up in the restaurant biz. Thank you, St. Ides, and your deeply gratifying protegee Steel Reserve. What was the question, again?

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

Here area few Malt Liquor Reviews. And while you are reading them you can direct your browser over to The Morning 40 Federation. and have a little music while you enjoy your finely crafted malt beverage.

When we came up with Andygator @ Abita I decided to enter it into the Great American Beer Festival and in the process also tried to get them to open up a new category-Premium American Malt Liquor. This was not exactly a new idea. They had opened categories in the past for people who made stuff up pretty much just to get a medal.

Not only did they not see the humor in this, but I recieved a letter telling me that our attempt to do this was being viewed as them as a poke at the manufacturers of fine Malt Liquor Beverages, who view their product as a fine beverage that appeals to all sections of the population.

Incidentally, I collect very little breweriana, but over the years I have collected some excellent Malt Liquor Regalia, including a fabulous backlit wall sign with Billy Dee Williams as the centerpiece. I also have a lovely St Ides Poster featuring a very young Snoop on a very cool low rider bike.

If you have Snoop, it might just be one of the last promotional items they ever made. Just before they went bankrupt and shopped out their brands to regional breweries, the Poet was quoted as saying:"F**k 8Ball, causes St Ides is giving ends".

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...