• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for a group of 20

smayman

In a couple months I'm going to need to have a dinner for about 20 out of town family members in DC. Does anyone have any suggestions for places that might have a private room/area?

Food quality, of course, is the main concern. I don't think any cuisine is out of bounds, though I'd like to make the reservation at a place that's not too crazily loud.

As far as price goes, most places are within our range. I don't want to go anywhere super-formal however. The atmosphere should be somewhat relaxed, though everyone else there should not be wearing shorts and t-shirts.

Most people will be staying around Georgetown or Dupont, so places around there are a plus.

Edited by smayman (log)

Firefly appears to have a private dining area. There is lots of discussion on eGullet. Also, the chef has a Q & A going right now.

We can do 16. 20 doesn't work.

Thanks for the thought though.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Firefly appears to have a private dining area.  There is lots of discussion on eGullet.  Also, the chef has a Q & A going right now.

We can do 16. 20 doesn't work.

Thanks for the thought though.

Your website said 18, I thought you might be able to squeeze in a couple of extras.

okay, this thread interests me too, we have a group up at national cathedral and finished around 5:30 pm on a Sunday in Oct, and looking for a place for 35 to descend upon...i've seen a recommendation for two amys...anything else up there of interest that could accomodate a crowd?

Cactus Cantina could easily. They normally don't take reservations but with a group that large you never know. Two Amy's is to small.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

The Washingtonian had a list in their January Bridal section of restaurants for rehersal dinners. These establishments clearly have rooms for private parties.......

Washingtonian Rehersal Dinner Recommendations

I've been to private parties at Red Sage, Old Ebbitt, Ruth's Chris, McKormick and Schmick and the Caucus Room. Each was nice in a different way. If the folks are from out of town, Old Ebbitt is great for location and historical value....as well as pretty reasonable prices and relatively familiar fare if there are any unadventerous eaters. Good Luck!

I've been to group dinners at Zola, Poste, Sam and Harry's, Oceanaire, Ortanique, and a bunch of others that I can't think of right now. The best of those that I list was Ortanique.

But get some ideas of what you think your parties might enjoy and your eGullet friends can help guide you.

The Restaurant I run, Fin Restaurant, in Dupont Circle, can accomodate up to 35 in one area for dinner, and we would be happy to help you out. We are a seafood restaurant, but we also serve things like filet mignon and grilled chicken breasts as well, for non fish types, as well as a strict vegetarian/vegan dish for herbivores. Anyway, our website is www.fin-dc.com, and our number is 202-530-4430. feel free to give me a call.

Dan

GM

The Restaurant I run, Fin Restaurant, in Dupont Circle, can accomodate up to 35 in one area for dinner, and we would be happy to help you out. We are a seafood restaurant, but we also serve things like filet mignon and grilled chicken breasts as well, for non fish types, as well as a strict vegetarian/vegan dish for herbivores. Anyway, our website is www.fin-dc.com, and our number is 202-530-4430. feel free to give me a call.

Dan

GM

Thanks, Dan. This might work well.