• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining Talk 2004

katlitish

Touche! :biggrin: For clarity, I should not have included Zuni in that list. I'd put it and Boulevard (where I have indeed had consistently good meals) in the same league, however. I do think both restaurants are at least a cut above the experience I had at 1550 Hyde.

In all fairness, they are also both twice the price of 1550 Hyde.

Cab fare from the City to Chez Panisse and back will cost you as much as if not more than the meal. However, it is a breeze to get to by BART.

Top of the Mark will be easy to reach no matter which hotel you choose. You can take a cable car there!

Squeat

You guys are making this really easy! Thank you!!!!

Cab fare from the City to Chez Panisse and back will cost you as much as if not more than the meal. However, it is a breeze to get to by BART.

Top of the Mark will be easy to reach no matter which hotel you choose. You can take a cable car there!

Squeat

You guys are making this really easy! Thank you!!!!

Just a note, if you are going to Chez Panisse by BART, it is way too long of a walk from either the Downtown or North Berkeley Stations (the closest stations). If I were you, I'd catch a cab from BART to Chez Panisse, esp since you'll prob be wearing nice duds. You could also drive it and catch a bunch of other places along the way.

--it's probably easier and less scary to get a cab at the Downtown station.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

What Melkor said.

Comparing restaurants is always a tough thing. I have my preferences, but it would be hard pressed for me to say that Gary Danko, per se, is a better restaurant than 1550 Hyde.

They are not in the same price range, and so not comparable.

1550 Hyde is lovely local bistro. The food is gently prepared, with great ingredients, the price quite reasonable for that quality. I pay around 50-60 each time I go, and that includes wine, desserts,and coffee. At Quince I always pay around $100--when the bill is double the price I generally don't compare them.

But to get back to being snarky--i would question a rec from anyone who consistently has a good meal at Boulevard, but then again perhaps it's just me....

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Katie's suggestion for sunset cocktails at the Top of the Mark is an excellent one.

There's a lot of history at "Top of the Mark". Mentioned in movie (Vertigo) and I saw a documentary about how soldiers going off to war in WWII would dance the night away here with gals who were ready to work for the war effort (uh, don't quote me, I'm doing this from memory). Famous actors used to frequent this place.

here's one site about some of the history behind Mark Hopkins Hotel

Hey, what's wrong with being a tourist, once in a while? :biggrin:

--grammar edit

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

1550 Hyde is lovely local bistro.  The food is gently prepared, with great ingredients, the price quite reasonable for that quality.  I pay around 50-60 each time I go, and that includes wine, desserts,and coffee.  At Quince I always pay around $100--when the bill is double the price I generally don't compare them. 

But to get back to being snarky--i would question a rec from anyone who consistently has a good meal at Boulevard, but then again perhaps it's just me....

To be fair to 1550 Hyde, I would place it more toward the "unremarkable" than the "quite bad" end of that spectrum. There was nothing in my experience there that would make me cross town to go back. There are plenty of other options where the food is prepared just as "gently". If it were in my neighborhood, I might give it another chance, though I do think it is overpriced for what it is, and -- on the night I was there, at least -- the service was indifferent, bordering on downright shoddy.

But anyway that was my point: not in the same league, therefore no comparison.

And to jump on the snark train, my opinion of Boulevard and Nancy Oakes' food may cause you to question my recommendations, but enough (in my opinion) quite discerning people have shared that opinion over the years that I will lose neither sleep nor appetite over it. I'll continue to enjoy my meals there with unshaken confidence in my acumen.

But that of course is just me (and all those other folks). :wink:

Cheers,

Squeat

to each his own, my dear squeat.

If everyone liked the same things I do there wouldn't be any left for me. It's for the best really. :wink:

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

to each his own, my dear squeat.

If everyone liked the same things I do there wouldn't be any left for me. It's for the best really. :wink:

I couldn't agree more, my dear pim. We are truly blessed with something for everyone, and you and I seem to be doing each other a favor. I love this town! :laugh:

Yeahhh! 1st reservation made for Fri 17th, dinner in the restaurant at Chez Panisse at 9pm. I'm thrilled. We will take the BART and then cab the 9 blocks to the restaurant. This will also allow us to have nice view cocktails at the Top of the Mark before hand!

Also I've made hotel reservations at the Omni on California and Montgomery- I know it's not food related but if anyone has any comments on this hotel I'd appreciate it. I stay at a lot of Omni's and they had a good package available.

:biggrin:

Yeahhh! 1st reservation made for Fri 17th, dinner in the restaurant at Chez Panisse at 9pm. I'm thrilled. We will take the BART and then cab the 9 blocks to the restaurant. This will also allow us to have nice view cocktails at the Top of the Mark before hand!

Also I've made hotel reservations at the Omni on California and Montgomery- I know it's not food related but if anyone has any comments on this hotel I'd appreciate it. I stay at a lot of Omni's and they had a good package available.

:biggrin:

Have fun! Definitely make sure you're up at Top of the Mark at sunset. I've really never seen any prettier views of any city than that one. It's definitely a "grown up" sort of bar, so order something in a birdbath glass and feel yourself transported back in time.

And Happy Anniversary! :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Chez Panisse is a great choice. You may have to change trains to get home on BART at that hour, but that shouldn't be a problem. Check the BART website before you go.

I wanted to put in my vote for best Italian: Acquerello. We've spent several anniversaries there, and have always loved it. The food is very refined, the wine list is unsurpassed, and it is very intimate and I dare say romantic. The co-owner, Giancarlo, is the ultimate host. Let him choose your wine if you decide dine there. He will pick a gem in your price range. http://acquerello.com/ (Hope I don't sound like a broken record with this recommendation.) If you don't go to the Top of the Mark before Chez Panisse, or if you want to go again, you can take the California line cable car after Acquerello- it's only a short walk to the other end of the line. Or just ride it back to your hotel.

It's hard to go wrong with any of the suggestions that have been made. Have a nice trip and Happy Anniversary.

Well Gary Danko is booked for that night so we will have to try them on another visit. I've made reservations on Sat. for Aqua so I think we have a nice mix between Chez Panisse and Aqua. Plus it's one of my favorite restaurants in Vegas so I'd like to try the original. And I'm interested in tasting Chef Manrique's versions.

You guys really rock on the info if I haven't said so before!

And I PROMISE not to go in to Fisherman's Warf! Too funny! It's like when people come to Seattle and they spend good money on bad food at the SpaceNeedle.....please oh please don't do it!!! :huh:

Will report back! Thanks for helping me make our anniversary a special and tasty one!

• 3 weeks later...

Well our anniversary was Tues and my husband is very excited about our upcoming trip (in less than 2 weeks!) and the restaurants!

Quick question, when we arrive it will be about 10pm, we are staying at the Omni. Is there any place within walking distance with a reasonably priced late night menu?

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Quick question, when we arrive it will be about 10pm, we are staying at the Omni. Is there any place within walking distance with a reasonably priced late night menu?

A great late night place near the Omni is Globe on Pacific. You might want to make a reservation. It gets busy.

Well Frisson serves until really late, and is quite a fun scene, though not exactly "reasonable".

You might want to try Chinatown, Hing Lung for some late night Jok perhaps? Or Yuet Lee for some fish.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

hmmm, well I'm thinking maybe a small plate type of restaurant or a mussels and frites place/french casual bistrot. or make a meal of some apps. Maybe $50-60 without wine/drinks???? Am I crazy?? :wink:

Not crazy at all.

Also, how much of a walk do you like? Is a mile too much? It's such a nice city for walking. Cabs are cheap for a mile or so.

thanks guys, I was doing a few web searches for late night dining in SF, very surprised at the lack of choices in such a huge food town. Will hope to get in earlier and maybe do Plouf or Jeanty at Jacks, if not then it looks like we'll be at the Globe. Thanks again, will report when I return!

hmmm, well I'm thinking maybe a small plate type of restaurant or a mussels and frites place/french casual bistrot. or make a meal of some apps. Maybe $50-60 without wine/drinks???? Am I crazy??  :wink:

Cafe del la Presse (the cafe portion, not the dining room) is open until 11:00 every night. Moules et Frites are right up their alley.

Cafe de la Presse

• 2 weeks later...

I am heading to SF in November and would like an idea of 'your' favorite eats there.

Don, I know this is not DC-related but I am looking for recs from people I know. I will persue this same topic on the California board but would appreciate some answer from here. Thanks