• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining Talk 2004

katlitish

Hm. After hearing about it for so long, I think I must make the trip down. Methinks I'd have to make a whole afternoon/evening thing, though, since it takes an hour even if there's no traffic, and there's *always* traffic when traversing the South Bay.

Hm. After hearing about it for so long, I think I must make the trip down. Methinks I'd have to make a whole afternoon/evening thing, though, since it takes an hour even if there's no traffic, and there's *always* traffic when traversing the South Bay.

You're talking about Manresa, right?

My experience in traffic is very different than yours, I guess. I go to and from San Francisco once or twice a month, and I rarely encounter traffic. I avoid the South Bay between 3:30 and 6:30 and seem to do fine.

Holy crap. I didnt expect that big of a responce! :laugh:

Manresa just sounds too good to pass up. Its that kind of knowledge that brought me here in the first place.

by the way, my birthday is December 22nd. Unfortunately, the tasting menu will be missing something for me, cause ill only be 17. its awefully hard to become a conasuir of something illegal. :raz:

Ludja- its funny you should mention Aqua. thats pretty much the classiest place ive eaten at before (although it was when i when i was really young.) My dad used to know the owner before the chef change, but i dont know if he still keeps in touch. Naturally, i dont remember a thing about it.

Edited by PurpleDingo99 (log)

Holy crap. I didnt expect that big of a responce!  :laugh:

Manresa just sounds too good to pass up. Its that kind of knowledge that brought me here in the first place.

by the way, my birthday is December 22nd. Unfortunately, the tasting menu will be missing something for me, cause ill only be 17.  its awefully hard to become a conasuir of something illegal.  :raz:

You can still have the chef's tasting, PD99. You just can't have the wine pairings. I took my sixteen-year-old daughter and her friend there last month: her as a late birthday present, and him because he'd survived being stuck in a blizzard for six days with nothing to eat but five peanuts a day.

I think two connoisseurs were hatched on the spot!

You'll love it. Happy early birthday! :smile:

You're talking about Manresa, right?

My experience in traffic is very different than yours, I guess. I go to and from San Francisco once or twice a month, and I rarely encounter traffic. I avoid the South Bay between 3:30 and 6:30 and seem to do fine.

Avoiding South Bay traffic between those hours would pretty much be an impossibility if I were trying to get to Manresa for dinner. :biggrin: Which is why I think it I would have to make it an entire South Bay extravaganza!

Hey- Kinch sounds pretty willing to improvise/rearrange his tasting menu. Think it would be inappropriate if i specifically requested foie gras and The Egg?

Not at all inappropriate. When we have David's tasting menu, the server always asks us if there is anything off the regular menu we'd like included. His goal is to make you happy...not stand on ceremony. I would, however, limit the requests to 1 - 2 dishes, so as not to limit his creativity.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter