• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Julie Sahni garam masala

Edward

Well, I first made this style of garam masala from one of Julie's recipes and have tweaked it as I liked here and there. I'm not sure if I can post that recipe here or not. Maybe just the ingredient list......I know she would not mind, but the publisher...... I will ask Monica.

Really though, all you have to do is add a few things to your own standard garam masala blend. This one has all the usual things. Cumin, coriander, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, tejpatta, and nutmeg. To this add a very small amount of ajwain, a couple of dried red chilies, a little fennel seed, and a little sesame seed. If this does not help I will try and come up with something over the next day or so.

Edward

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

i use julie sahnis recipe for garam masala so that's fine then-i guess the coconut was the significant difference though it was barely noticeable.

Which of Julie Sahni's garam masala recipes do you use?

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

i use julie sahnis recipe for garam masala so that's fine then-i guess the coconut was the significant difference though it was barely noticeable.

please feel free to disregard this since i have not read any of comrade sahni's books...but...can garam masala recipes actually belong to anyone? or does each of hers have some funky variation that allows her to make a proprietary claim on it?

edward, are you in dhaka or is that still some time away--looking forward to some reports on your food findings there.

the basic garam masala from classic indian cooking(roasted and no nutmeg)

the basic garam masala from classic indian cooking(roasted and no nutmeg)

Ok. To this add a couple of tejpatta, 1/4 teaspoon ajwain, about 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, and about 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds and 2-4 dried red chilies. All this roasted along with the rest. When it is all ground add a little nutmeg, about 1/4 teaspoon. That should work out well.

Edward

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

please feel free to disregard this since i have not read any of comrade sahni's books...but...can garam masala recipes actually belong to anyone? or does each of hers have some funky variation that allows her to make a proprietary claim on it?

edward, are you in dhaka or is that still some time away--looking forward to some reports on your food findings there.

She offers regional variations on garam masala, especially in her second book. They are traditional, so no one "owns" them, but she does own her way of presenting them, the method etc. Her books are beautiful and definitely worth a look.

I leave for India/Bangladesh on October 10 and will be there for a month. I am very exited and plan on keeping in touch with all of you here with food reports.

Just pray I won't get sick this time......

Any Calcutta hidden treasures you can suggest?

Edward

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

She offers regional variations on garam masala, especially in her second book. They are traditional, so no one "owns" them, but she does own her way of presenting them, the method etc. Her books are beautiful and definitely worth a look.

so, then the only thing that would be off-limits would be the actual language of her "method of preparation"--if the ingredients are traditional and the basic method is dry-roast and grind i think you'd be on safe ground (pun not intended, who do you think i am, episure?) posting them.

will get back to you on places in cal. (though i think bong already posted a lot of recommendations for cal restaurants last winter.)

• 1 month later...