• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Questions about Tepache

Big Bunny

I have just made a batch of pineapple and barley tepache using a recipe from Elizabeth Ortiz. I made the same recipe two years ago, and it came out the same way.

It has a nice flavor, and just a slight "buzz", if any. My question concerns the sediment. There is a thickish "fog" of it, which I cannot decide about. Should I make a greater effort to remove this, or is it just part of the drink - sort-of like cider?

It passes right through doubled cheesecloth. It would probably have to be forced through something finer.

BB

Food is all about history and geography.

Hi there,

I have only made tepache once and that was just with pineapple. Very refreshing on an ice cold day.

I would suspect that the "thickish fog" you are referring to is from the barley. Whenever I've cooked or even soaked barley, it produces lots of foggy water.

If its an esthetic concern, I would suggest trying the double cheesecloth. But if it doesn't affect the flavour, I would leave it as is.

I'm intrigued about the barley addition. Does it lend the mixture nutty or earthy characteristics?

s

I'm intrigued about the barley addition. Does it lend the mixture nutty or earthy characteristics?

The barley is added with brown sugar/piloncillo after the pineapple has spent a couple of days in water with spices. Since the barley is there when the sugar "feeds" the pineapple, it takes part in what little fermentation there is. It does give a sort of earthy/barley flavor.

I am not really sure of its real significance. I have some recipes that don't use barley, but haven't tried these yet. They usually add beer as an option, so I guess the point is to get "grain" into the mix, by whatever means.

Ortiz' recipe uses a whole pineapple, so the flavor is quite nice. Other recipes use just the rind. The next time I use a pineapple for "whatever" I will have to give one of them a try.

I have seen references to tepache originally being made with corn, but I have no idea what that process is.

BB

• 4 weeks later...

After sitting in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks, the cloudy matter had all settled on the bottom. I was able to ladle off nearly two quarts. After that, the ladle came too close to the "lees" and it was impossible to get clear tepache.

It might have been possible to get another pint-or-so somehow, but I am happy with what I have. This sediment flows right through a doubled cheese cloth, but completely stops up a coffee filter.

BB

Around here, tepache is considered to be an excellent restorative to a mildly 'off' stomach. It's often served with a small bowl of baking soda on the side. Folks at table add the amount of baking soda they prefer--or none at all--to their glass of tepache. It makes an amazing amount of fizz and gives the tepache both sparkle in the glass and added curative properties in the stomach.

What's new at Mexico Cooks!?

Wonderful!

Round here tepache is usually sold from a red barrel (or a barrel that was once red) with rico tepache (delicious tepache) painted on the front. I've never seen Esperanza's alka seltzer version but I'm on the look out.

I have the impression that we are right on the edge of tepache country and it's not often spotted. My efforts at making it at home have always produced very palatable results.

But what about all the other fermented drinks of Mexico? I've been trying to track down colonche for the past year or so (fermented tuna drink). I know it's made between dolores Hidalgo and San Luis de la Paz (for example) but always turn up at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Any hints? What are the ones in regions you know?

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan

I assume when you say fermented tuna, that you mean fermented prickly pear cactus fruit. (I don't know if anyone watching this thread wouldn't be familiar with the word, but just in case...)

Some day someone's going to try to import/sell, I would think, these things (and of course, don't foget about pulque).

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

Thanks for point out that tuna is cactus fruit, Extra MSG. You so right tht that needs to be made clear.

And you're so right too that it may be the tourist industry that rescues these hundreds of traditional Mexican drinks (as so much other food around the world). That's what happened, after all, to the insect cuisine of Mexico,

Thanks for the comments,

Rachel

Rachel Caroline Laudan