• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to get my Espresso Fix

fredbram

OK, it's not all desert, but this is my dilemma. I drink espresso and milk drinks exclusively, as far as coffee goes--I was not a coffee drinker until I discovered good espresso, so I just haven't ever drunk "cup of joe" for my fix. I am heading out on a road trip through mostly small towns in New Mexico, Arizona and Utah and I'm trying to figure out if there is a relatively uninvolved way of producing something I want to drink in the morning, assuming that I have access to a kitchenette most mornings.

Those Turkish metal pot thingies? Or something else?

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep

Although it's not true espresso it's pretty darn close and I think you'll enjoy it.... moka coffee may be the answer. If milk based drinks are your thing you can also get a little battery operated frother thingy (I think they're called Aerolatte). You'd need to microwave the milk before whipping it up with the Aerolatte. Also consider getting a stovetop milk frother that utilizes steam (not sure of they're available in an electric version). It will give you tru microfoam milk if used properly vs the 'foamy" milk you'll get with some other methods.

The travel kit shown here could be purchased for less $$ by just finding a source for the Velox electric moka maker and use your own cups and case.

Check this eGullet Amazon link for the

Velox "espresso" travel kit