• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maine Diner Fare

Carrot Top

Years ago, on one of the annual trips to visit family in central Maine, we stopped at a Diner on Rt. 1. That Diner had been there forever and seemed like it would REMAIN there forever.

Moody's.

Is it still there? I've only flown up in recent years.

They made the greatest serious-sort of hunker-down breakfast dish of fried potatoes with a meat sauce...gosh, I wish I had that recipe! :rolleyes:

I guess it's still there... they have a web site: Moody's Diner

You can also e-mail them at info@moodysdiner.com.

Sounds like a stick-to-your-ribs breakfast!

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...

• 4 weeks later...

If you stop in at Moody's, I have only one word of advice: PIE!

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

If you stop in at Moody's, I have only one word of advice: PIE!

I can now report that Moody's is indeed still there. Or at least it was as of 4 nights ago.

And I can second that word of excellent advice.

The place gets packed around sixish, and you have to be ready to move fast, as they are anxious to take your order. The food comes out QUICKLY.

I'm still sorry that I didn't go for the chicken croquettes, I had to decide too quickly. The baked stuffed haddock was unobjectionable, but I do a much better version at home.

As an LSD* person, I was pleasantly surprised by the restrained use of salt in their cooking. Looking at the general age of their customer base, they show some wisdom in this.

*LSD = low salt diet. What did you think I meant? :smile:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, Moody's, one of the places I regret not getting to on my trip. Drove by it twice, both times looking sadly back at it over my shoulder at the packed parking lot, imagining all the happy eaters with their pie and coffee... :sad:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

As a midcoast Mainer, I can say with gusto that Moody's is definitely alive and well... The pie, of course, is excellent (oh, the 4 berry...). Also try: the split pea soup. If you ever had a bias against split pea, Moody's will put a stop to it. Served with excellent homemade cornbread (or do they call it Johnnycake? I don't know if I making that up in my head). And, if you're not in the pie kinda mood, try the homemade whoopie pies. Or a chocolate malted.

Welcome ella,

We look forward to hearing more from the midcoast.

Whoopie pies? Don't get my craving going....

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken