• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Thesorus

Transporting wine in a plastic bottle ?

Good evening,

Next week, I'm organising a picnik with some friends, and the location doesn't let us bring glass on site ( lot's of people, kids, dancing, ... )

I plan to bring a couple of bottles of wine, and was wondering the "best way" to transport the wine.

I know that I have to at least open the bottles at home at the latest moment, but what kind of bottle would be the best ?

Can I use a plastic bottle ( empty evian, or other water bottle ) ?

I will not keep the wine in the plastic bottle for long, 1 hour, maybe 2 at most.

and what about sparkling wine; ( I will not open an expansive bottle, just a nice sparkling to put on my fruit desert.) ?

Thanks for the info.

Max.

There is a long discussion of this here. Lots of good ideas on wine storage.

Unless you have a particular wine in mind why not buy a box of wine? Maybe not the greatest stuff in the world but easily transportable and probably OK for a picnic. For the sparkling wine decant as late as possible into a plastic bottle that has been used for a carbonated drink, probably the easiest would be one that had been used for sparkling water.

There is a long discussion of this here. Lots of good ideas on wine storage.

thanks for the link ... will read up ...

Max.

Sign in to follow this