• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ in Vermont: Curtis off exit 4 on I-91

VivreManger

I was there about five years ago, having heard so much about the place and desparate for bbq in New England. Short answer (from my best recollection) is that I was really disappointed, given the fuss about the bus. It seemed like greasy, second-rate 'que.

For New England Q, I have yet to find anything extraordinary, but do enjoy stopping at Little Marks in Vernon, CT, when driving up to Boston.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad to hear about Curtis, I read a recent article in VT Life and was going to stop by (it's out of my normal route to the north); now I think I"ll be more circumspect.

I've noticed with interest some pretty large crowds at the American BBQ in Rowley, Mass. Apparently their brisket is the big thing. Anyone been there?

--L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last summer, and again this year. So right off the bat that tells you I liked it at least enough to go back. That said, the ribs are just barely okay -- I did not find them greasy, but they didn't have much smoke flavor either. And they desperately needed salt. We rather liked the sauce, though, which was tomatoey but not sweet, actually rather tart. The spinach was cooked as if it were a hardier green -- but came out pretty tasty anyway, having some sliced mushrooms in it. The potato salad was quite nice, faintly yellow and chunky. Last year's 3-bean salad seemed right out of a can, not at all to my taste.

I was willing to go back because it is a cool place, and the people are very, very nice. But is it great Q? Alas, no.