• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An American Grill review

adegiulio

Congratualtions on the "good" review in the Sunday NY Times. It reads beautifully. Actually reads better than a good.

David Corcoran wrties "A few missteps in the kitchen keep An American Grill from a higher rating but if you spend an evening here, the odds are long that you will leave happy."

Chef/owner Lou Reda is also commended for his professionalism and attention to details.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

i especially liked corcoran's line about how

"Mr. Reda & Company manage to keep all these balls in the air." :laugh:

good review, lou. you deserve it for all your hard work

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Ditto on kudos to Lou + Company! :wub:

I was on my way out the door, saw that my (oh-so-kind) neighbor had brought my NYT upstairs for me, and turned around to read the review before I went out. I'm with Rosie--it reads more like a Very Good, but then again, we're a bit biased. :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Thanks all.. Just picked it up and as you all would suspect I had hoped it would be a little better but it just means I've got to pick it up a little better. As they say, back to the labratory.

Lou

Lou:

4_17_209.gif

Congratulations! It's nice to see someone's hard work and dedication pay off! From everything I read here from people whose taste I trust implicitly, it's well deserved.

Best wishes for continued success!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

but it just means I've got to pick it up a little better. As they say, back to the labratory.

Lou

Now that is an excellent attitude. :smile:

I wish more restauranteurs took good reviews as a reason for improvement. Looks like we are going to have to take that long trip to Randolph after all...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

[Looks like we are going to have to take that long trip to Randolph after all...

only long in terms of time (especially if there is an accident on 80/287/10)

wish i could get here more often for dinner - hmmmmm

maybe lunch at the bar is my favorite after all. lou does make me feel welcome and comfortable (important if i am dining alone) and most of the items mentioned

are available at lunch. cool - he liked my fav - the vegetable strudel. still have to try that calamari but .... the strudel lures me like a siren............ :hmmm::hmmm:

hmmmm........ let me know. as long as it isn't during the hawkwatch season( 1 sept- 1 dec) would love to meet you for lunch - or if it is an off night at work for dinner. will bring the johnnybird if he's in town.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I still dream about the mussles, clams ...and as I have said before, when the bread basket left our table (in time for dessert!) it was like a close friend was being yanked away...........

Good job Lou! Now if you would only move to Ridgewood!

Jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

I know there's been a lot of good talk about An American Grill on this board (and I missed the review on Sunday). Does the restaurant happen to have a website? I like (if possible) to browse a restaurant's menu before I eat there. Once I decide to try a place, my mind is made up, so a menu is not a factor in my decision to eat somewhere. But, I do like to get a sense of what kind of food a restaurant serves--other than what I can glean from the name.

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Just wanted to add my congratulations. I have to say that I thought the review was really spot on, my only quibble was with the word "good" instead of "very good". Its a shame thats the thing we all focus on: one little word, a star(s) rating, etc. I will give more credence to David Cocoran now that I've read this review.

And Rachel is right: NJ Zagat can't keep ignoring you Lou, you've made it to the "paper of record".

Any word on the new bar menu? Keep us posted.

Edited by dbrociner (log)

Thanks, tommy. I could have sworn that I google-searched it, though I should have tried typing the restaurant name in as the URL. Always a good way to start. Sorry for my senior moment.

:blink:

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Thanks to everyone, it's been a hectic week.

David, the bar menu is ready now but I'm not. With the review coming out I'm bracing for the normal crunch that comes with it and getting my ass in the kitchen. Then, I hit the shore at the end of Sept for 10 days. I intend to start the bar menu in Oct.

Thanks to everyone, it's been a hectic week.

David, the bar menu is ready now but I'm not. With the review coming out I'm bracing for the normal crunch that comes with it and getting my ass in the kitchen. Then, I hit the shore at the end of Sept for 10 days. I intend to start the bar menu in Oct.

and it WILL be on the website. right, lou? :wink:

...or at least by december when i can come to visit again :blink:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 weeks later...
Congratualtions on the "good" review in the Sunday NY Times. It reads beautifully. Actually reads better than a good.

David Corcoran wrties "A few missteps in the kitchen keep An American Grill from a higher rating but if you spend an evening here, the odds are long that you will leave happy."

Chef/owner Lou Reda is also commended for his professionalism and attention to details.

It reads much better than a "good"

An American Grill review

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo