• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ultimate Peanut butter sandwich topic

jackal10

Stunned, absolutely stunned to find that I am the first to post this option:

White sandwich bread (but sturdy)

Peanut butter

Banana (ripe but not mushy)

Acceptable additions:

Honey

Mayonnaise (a small amount, provides a slightly sour counterpoint)

Can you pee in the ocean?

Thickly sliced challah (although rye bread with carraway seeds will do in a pinch) with a thick schmear of Skippy Chunky on either side and then toasted so the pb becomes soft and melty. Then add some ice cold romaine leaves. The hot vs. cold, creamy vs crunchy make for a great combo.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I just made the most wonderful sandwich:

Flax seed pumpernickle roll

Soy Nut Butter

Mayo

Mustard

Thich slice of onion lightly sauteed in butter

Fried egg

Oh my, it was simply orgasmic. I'm sure the several gin and tonics I've had had nothing to do with it ;).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Did anyone ever notice that a peanut butter sandwich made with a piece of bread folded in half tastes completely different from one made with two pieces of bread?

astute observation, as usual. :smile:

My current OB obsession: a thick slice of our homemade bread (oh, okay, we use the bread machine. Touch the pearls! :shock::cool: ), which is heavy on sunflower and linseeds, and add a thin layer of creamy PB. I'll use whatever is around. The Dutch pindakaas is without sugar, but I keep a jar of Skippy around for my sweeter needs.

Which are:

PB and strawberry preserves.

PB with honey.

and since no one else here has the cajones to cop to it.... PB and MARSHMALLOW FLUFF. :wub:

Admittedly, though, I don't get to have that last one as much as I'd like. I think the last jar of Fluff I had was consumed straight from the jar, mixed with spoons of PB.

That was several years ago, now.

sigh. :rolleyes:

I'll second the Fluff, and add: Nutella.

Chunky PB, Fluff, and Nutella on soft white bread :wub:

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

I've never been a fan of adding sweet ingredients to my peanut butter. But I agree that you do need something to cut the intensity of the peanut butter. I'll occasionally have the following sandwich for lunch:

- toasted wholemeal bread (sliced supermarket bread is fine)

- peanut butter (I use an organic one with no added sugar)

- thinly sliced cucumbers

- little bit of salt

- another slice of toast.

Arguably, this isn't a peanut butter sandwich, but rather a very robust cucumber sandwich. It is very salty and savoury, but the cold crisp wateryness of the cucumbers stops it from cloying. Good with a cup of tea.

I'm also a fan of the Atkins peanut butter sandwich: straight from the jar with a spoon. :smile:

Edited by Stigand (log)

Can somebody explain to me please why it is still called a peanut butter and jelly sandwich when it is loaded down with:

bacon

cheddar (aged cheddar, at that)

cucumbers

mayo (mayo!)

sprouts

mustard

onions

tahina

S & P

etc., etc.

If the peanut butter and jelly are optional ... well, what kind of sandwich have we got?

:wacko:

(Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

i would inject peanutbutter into my veins if it was possible.

whole grain bread toasted

smooth skippy or if i have it smooth natural peanutbutter

grandma's home made raspberry jelly

another slice of toasted whole grain bread.

I never cared for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Now, buttered white toast spread thickly with blackberry jam and piled with crisp-cooked, Tabasco-doctored corned beef hash in a diner booth - that is the food of the gods.

I never cared for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Now, buttered white toast spread thickly with blackberry jam and piled with crisp-cooked, Tabasco-doctored corned beef hash in a diner booth - that is the food of the gods.

That's cool.

But would you still call it a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? :wink:

- toasted wholemeal bread (sliced supermarket bread is fine)

- peanut butter (I use an organic one with no added sugar)

- thinly sliced cucumbers

- little bit of salt

- another slice of toast.

Arguably, this isn't a peanut butter sandwich, but rather a very robust cucumber sandwich. It is very salty and savoury, but the cold crisp wateryness of the cucumbers stops it from cloying. Good with a cup of tea.

That sounds good. I have to try that. I think the cucumbers would work similarly to my beloved lettuce.

That said, yesterday, in honor of this thread, I made a pb&j sandwich on sourdough (it was the only bread we had in the house). It hit the spot. :smile:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

One from my youth in the '40s and '50s, that I still serve to little ones and myself :biggrin: :

Your choice of bread;

Mix peanut butter (I like chunky) with a grated carrot;

Add fresh squeezed orange juice to mixture for lubrication;

Spread on bread!

Young and old alike love them, they're not too sticky, and they're good for you too :wink:

Bill Benge

Moab, Utah

"I like eggs", Leon Spinks

This is a favorite childhood memory. I haven't had a sandwich like this in decades.

Peanut butter and banana on toasted raisin bread - especially the store-bought raisin bread with white frosting.

BB

Food is all about history and geography.

My, everyone is so creative in this thread. I would never had imagined peanut butter with cucumber or bacon! I can't even imagine how it would taste...looks like I have to go out and buy a jar of peanut butter tomorrow and experiment.

This is my favorite:

-spread hot, toasted white bread with a lot of butter

-immediately layer peanut butter over it so it melts with the butter

-sprinkle with brown sugar and eat

I think I ate this every morning from grade 1-3!

wholegrain bread

PB (preferably Trader Joe's natural salted chunky variety)

very ripe sliced bananas

grilled or not, either way makes me happy

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

And actually, just peanut butter on some rye toast is pretty fine.

My five year old loves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on rye. Today for breakfast she had peanut butter and banana on pumpernickel. I thought it was weird but she's obviously in good company. :smile:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

For those who like such things:

Toast (a naan or other flatbread works very very well but any toast will do in a storm) with a thick layer of peanut butter mixed with Siracca chile sauce or something similar, some slivered scallions, a bit of fresh coriander leaf and a spritz of lime.

Nice for breakfast with a poached or soft coddled egg with white pepper and fleur de sel on the side.

Bonus points:

Dip the toast in the egg.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Jif Super chunk Peanut Butter and banana on pumpernickel

Peanut butter, hot chile oil, tasso ham, lettuce on a tortilla

Peanut Butter Company Cinnamon Raisan on just out of the oven farm white with orangle blossom honey, and butter.

But summer is all about Peanut butter and preserves on vanilla ice cream :smile: