• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking classes in Italy

LEdlund

If Judy's Divina Cucina class is anything but as warm, friendly, generous and knowledgeable as she is on this forum, I would be surprised! She is the go-to person for lots and lots of us, and she is very, very generous with her time and patience.

I met Divina earlier this year. She is a true gem! I've not taken her courses but I can vouch for her character. Go with Judy, you will not be disappointed!

And you must must must go to the chocolate shop in Florence with the cute owner. Dios Mio!

I too will rec. Divina from the three initially mentioned.

The market tour with Judy was awesome and a lot of fun...I want to go back and buy a jar of that honey with white truffles...it was really special...and if you are nice Judy will tell you where the good butcher is - so you can try the famous meatball and SPECIAL red pepper jam!!!

Ciao,

Ore

(in Edinburgh on the way home to the US)

Whew, I finally made up my mind and signed up with Judy. I'm so excited. :biggrin: Thanks to all of you for your comments. I know I'm getting the best advice here on egullet. I will definitely post the details when I get back (Sept). Thanks again!

• 9 months later...

Next spring, my mother and I will be heading to Italy for a two-week vacation. Why? Because neither of us has ever been, and we really want to experience Italia together!

We are planning on spending our time primarily in Florence and Rome, with a few days in the Tuscan countryside (town TBD). We're city girls, so this itinerary suits us immensely.

We're also girls who love to cook, and would like to spend a few days (2-3) taking some cooking classes while in Florence. I've taken an early shining to Divina Cucina (I'm particularly smitten with the idea of visiting the market and making a meal based on that trip), and would love to hear either your opinions on this choice or your recommendations for other schools in the city.

I definitely want to take the class(es) in the city; when we head out to the country, it's going to be our downtime, so no shuffling around a kitchen at that point.

Please enlighten me!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Divina Cucina is being modest--but she also may be solidly booked, Megan. Did you manage to find her schedule at her personal Web site to ascertain whether or not there would be openings?

Faith Willinger is also a member of eGullet. She may hold cooking classes, or at least have recommendations.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Ciao.

not being modest. thought it wasn't accpetable to promote one's self!

I created my program for real food lover's the market touring being my favorite part!

If you would like more info. email me.

Ciao.

not being modest. thought it wasn't accpetable to promote one's self!

Well, if someone is asking about your courses directly, that's not really promoting oneself, at least not shamelessly :smile: .

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have any recommendations for short Italian cookery courses (~1-2 weeks), conducted in English (or Italian and English) running over the summer?

I've read with interest the thread on the ItalCook/Slow Food cookery school; I'm curious to know what opther options exist.

Thanks for your help.

Look for posts written by divina and hathor in this regional forum.

Click on to their web sites for further information. You'll find links at the bottom of their posts.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Don't know if you would consider France, but if so a friend of ours runs some wonderful courses.

Her website gives all the details. Anne's a delight and a wonderful teacher.

Are you interested in Veneto?

These couple (she is from Sicily and he is from Veneto) have a B&B in Verona and I know they do sometimes offer some classes

http://www.alquadrifoglio.it/index.html

And another friend of mine (Cristina) gives classes at this B&B

http://www.bed-breakfast-italy.com/cooking.htm

• 1 month later...

While cleaning up the house today, I came across a catalog sent by SlowFood for courses (1-3 weeks) given at the Higher Institute of Gastronomy in Jesi. Was wondering if anyone has taken any of these classes or knows someone who has. Looking for something for the "serious amateur". Seen lots of these "cooking classes" in Italy which seem just experiential for the traveller- making pasta for the first time, etc.- but am looking for something not for the professional, but again, experienced home cook to really get some higher-level instruction. Thanks.

Mark A. Bauman

Ciao Mark!

I took the 10 week course at Ital.cook, and it was fantastic. Great learning experience. Here is my thread from Jesi.

You can also look at Ore's thread.

We both took the 10 week course. They did not have these shorter courses when I went there, so I cannot vouch for them.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me.

Regards,

Judith

Try Apicius if you're in Florence. They have a nice facility and lots of recreational courses. I saw lots of tourists there for short classes with their family and friends. www.apicius.it

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I just returned from Italy where we took the 1-week course at Ital.Cook in Jesi.

We had a great experience! It was their first time doing a short course for amateurs (usually 10 weeks for pros). There were 10 peope in the class, most from Europe. Instruction was in italian, with simultaneous translation of the chefs doing the lessons.

As the level of the studwents varies, I found some of the instruction a little basic, but all questions were answered fully to my satisfaction. We cooked from 9-5 daily with a lunch break. For the last night we also cooked dinner.

The area was beautiful too (we stayed about 10 miles away on the Adriatic). Many great restaurants around for dinner too.

Highly recommend this for a fun vacation experience.

Ciao Mark!

I took the 10 week course at Ital.cook, and it was fantastic. Great learning experience. Here is my thread from Jesi.

You can also look at Ore's thread.

We both took the 10 week course. They did not have these shorter courses when I went there, so I cannot vouch for them.

If  you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me.

Regards,

Judith