• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montefalco

clifford

Here are a few suggestions:

VAL DI MAGGIO--ARNALDO CAPRAI

MONTEFALCO (Perugia)

località Torre

Tel: 0742/378802/378523

They actually maintain are rather California-like tasting room. Many consider Caprai's Sagrantino wines to be the benchmark. They collaborate with the University in Milano (which sells Caprai clone budwood of Sagrantino).

COLPETRONE - SAIAGRICOLA

GUALDO CATTANEO (Perugia)

via della Collina 4, località Marcellano

Tel: 0578/76772

Very "internationally-styled" wines...I believe Tiziana Mazzetti takes care of tours and tastings...

FATTORIA COLSANTO

BEVAGNA (Perugia)

località Montarone

Tel: 0742/360412 or 0432/757173

They make a nice "rosso" blend with Sagrantino, etc. and a pretty good Sagrantino on its own.

LA FIORITA-LAMBORGHINI

PANICALE (Perugia)

via Soderi, 1

Tel: 075/8350029

This is the Lamborghini automotive family...stylish wines, too internationall-styled for some folks, but well-made, in any case.

SPORTOLETTI

SPELLO (Perugia)

via Lombardia 1 - Capitanloreto

Tel: 0742/651461

This family run place is near Assisi. They make a lovely dry white of Grechetto and some excellent red under the Villa Fidelia banner. If you can taste (or buy) their olive oil, don't miss it...it's sensational, too!

Buona fortuna e buon viaggio!

Caprai is about halfway between Montefalco and Bevagna. A big spread with a nice tasting room. Another Sagrantino producer is Paulo Bea at the edge of Montefalco. A tiny, casual place with well thought of wines, especially Passito.

I'm heading to Umbria tommorow..thanks for the info!!

Have fun Clifford!! We are having our festa this week, in Montone (between Umbertide and Citta dei Castello), its a lot of fun if you are in the neighborhood.

Warning: do NOT drink any of the wine at the cantinas! No one is quite sure where it comes from..... :wacko: But the roasted meats are fabulous!!

ciao!

Hi Clifford, wish I were tagging along. There is a very inexpensive Umbrian blend made by the Falesco winery called Vitiano. I believe it is a sangiovese with some cab and merlot blended in. I have thoroughly enjoyed the last vintages of this wine and would very much like to try a couple of their more expensive offerings, particularly their merlot which I understand is great. There is one caveat however: be very careful of the 2002 vintage! I haven't tasted any 2002's yet, nor have I heard anything good or bad about how Umbria fared in this vintage. However, from what I've read so far, it appears that Bacchus took a major doo-doo all over Tuscany and the Piedmont in '02 so proceed with caution! Have a geat trip and please let us know about any "finds"!