• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Julia Child--In Memoriam

adegiulio

:sad:

Bless her. She was my hero as well, and I will miss her dearly. Because of Julia, I have always scoffed at fad diets. I adhere to her approach to eating--whatever you wish but in moderation. I live to eat, not eat to live, because what's the point of living without a little butter and cream?

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

And a woman of MANY talents. Yesterday I was watching the animated film "We're Back" a cute and silly dinosaur movie. One of the funniest characters was a woman paleontologist (sp?) and I kept thinking "I know that voice..." Sure enough it was Julia Child. And you thought she could just cook!

Right now, I'm preparing her recipe for breaded chicken breasts with brown butter and lemon sauce, from Mastering vol. 1. It's one of my family's favorite meals, and one I grew up on. It's also the first "fancy meal" I learned to prepare for myself, and by now I know it by heart. It's a great prepare-ahead-and-cook-on-the-spot recipe, since the breading gets a chance to set, so I'll be taking it to a party tonight and serving it to all my friends in honor of Julia.

I have no recollection of the author, but there's a book called "Pies and Spies; Recipes from the C.I.A." that is just a treasure and enjoyable read. It is written by former C.I.A. operatives and their other halves, and Miz Julia has quite a good portion of the book. Try to find it--especially you younger afficianadoes who know her as a stately lady--this details her young days quite well.

I imagine someone will give me a hand and find it at Amazon.com? Please?

I for one will be making a meal to celebrate Julia's wonderful life. Maybe a new thread with pictures, if others do the same.

I am doing a roast chicken with buttered green beans and French bread slathered with butter in honor of Julia. I'll take a photo and post it on your thread.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

James Lipton always asks his guests on Inside the Actor's Studio what they want to hear when they arrive at the Pearly Gates.

I think today it will be, "Your table is ready Julia.  We're honored to have you..." :sad:

Good call, Katie...and most appropriate.

I do remember watching her on tv when I was a kid and thinking she was cool even then. A strong, progressive, pioneer woman who had a great impact on our society. I'll certainly toast her tonight.

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

There are nine eGullet members viewing this thread as I write this, more than I've seen on any other thread since joining eGullet one year ago. That says something about her, yes?

Edited to say: After I posted, there were *seventeen*.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I have no recollection of the author, but there's a book called "Pies and Spies; Recipes from the C.I.A." that is just a treasure and enjoyable read. It is written by former C.I.A. operatives and their other halves, and Miz Julia has quite a good portion of the book. Try to find it--especially you younger afficianadoes who know her as a stately lady--this details her young days quite well.

I imagine someone will give me a hand and find it at Amazon.com? Please?

Spies, Black Ties, & Mango Pies: Stories and Recipes from CIA Families All over the World

Authors: Jean M. Luther, James E. Turner, United States Central Intelligence Agency Family Advisory Board

Publisher: Community Communications Inc.

List Price: $19.95

Amazon link here

And if you're wondering whether spies can really cook, just remember--Julia Child got her start with the Office of Strategic Services--the forerunner of the CIA.
.. not that CIA!!! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I saw the obit online and knew I'd find such warm memories and shared grieving here. :wub: I grew up watching Julia's PBS program with my mother. She influenced me right away - I remember surprising my parents when I was 11 by cooking them a meal to celebrate their anniversary and hamming it up by pretending I was a French chef named 'Julia the Child.'

What a great lady - may she rest in peace.

"Big media today wants to own the faucet, pipeline, water, and the reservoir. The rain clouds come next." - Ted Turner

I learned over at the Washington Post Q&A that Slate has just posted one of Julia's diary entries.

We have decided to do a demonstration about sauces. People seem to be afraid to make them, and that's silly because they aren't that difficult to do, and they add so much to the dish.

Edit: There are several entries. They are quite touching and funny.

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

I for one will be making a meal to celebrate Julia's wonderful life. Maybe a new thread with pictures, if others do the same.

I am doing a roast chicken with buttered green beans and French bread slathered with butter in honor of Julia. I'll take a photo and post it on your thread.

Don, I'll be making the very same dinner tomorrow night — I'll be picking up the green beans at the farmer's market in the morning and the just-killed free-range chickens that afternoon. :cool:

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

With the possible exception of Thomas Jefferson, has anyone ever been so influential to American cooking and eating over so long a period of time and to so many people?

A legend is gone. May she rest in peace.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

There are nine eGullet members viewing this thread as I write this, more than I've seen on any other thread since joining eGullet one year ago. That says something about her, yes?

Edited to say: After I posted, there were *seventeen*.

That number actually doesn't even include "Guests"--that's people who either haven't logged in or who read here but don't post.

Friday afternoons are, I think, typically low-traffic for eGullet, but I'm sure this topic will be busy.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

:sad: well now that ive stopped balling i can post .........inspiration , saterdaynight live , child hood memories , her energy on this planet will be missed , maybe shell become grapes that make her wine this time around . (((((((((((julia))))))))))) and bon appitie .

bye chef, get in my belly.

I'm making scallops for dinner tonight. After I picked them up, I was on my way home thinking of what I would do with them. "Oh, yes," I said to myself, "I'll do them Julia's way." "I've got plenty of butter and cream at home."

Then the obit came over the radio.

And then I burst into tears. It was very scary and strange.

I hope there is a heaven. I hope she sees her husband and her past friends and family. I hope she sits down to dinner with them all. I hope she dines on the finest roast while drinking the finest gin in the finest company in all the universe. I hope.

Get the honey Junior.

I just wanted to thank everyone for this thread. I can't stop thinking about Julia and all the joy she brought to so many people. She was (and is) such a treasure.

I never had the honor of meeting her, but in many ways, this still feels like a personal loss. It's a comfort to come to egullet today and be 'surrounded' by a community of people who understand that feeling.

Here's to Julia! :wub:

Being only 18, and only fairly recently (2 or 3 years ago) become heavily interested in culinary arts, I've never really grown up with Julia Child as a major influence, but I definately know the impact she had on the culinary world. Julia Child will be truly missed by all.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

-Presiden Muffley, Dr. Strangelove

I still fondly remember weatching the original French Chef series back in the sixties. My cooking would be a lot worse than it is, if it hadn't been for Julia Childs. Not that it ever approached her standards, but it took a turn for the better thanks to her. An appropriate tribute would be if they re-issued the entire French Chef series on DVD.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

James Lipton always asks his guests on Inside the Actor's Studio what they want to hear when they arrive at the Pearly Gates.

I think today it will be, "Your table is ready Julia.  We're honored to have you..." :sad:

Katie I hope you don't mind if I extrapolate on this fine thought.

"Your table is Ready Julia. And she was led through a most beautiful dining room

to her table where her beloved Paul welcomed her with a emptyless glass of the finest white burgundy.....and they will dance, and dine, and love under a glistening shower of stars....forever to be together again."

Thank you for your passion Julia