• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Julia Child--In Memoriam

adegiulio

"She once demonstrated how to break off a part on a Cuisinart to make it less cumbersome to use even as the manufacturer's representatives sat in the audience. And she was known to sue to prevent a restaurant from advertising that it was one of her favorites."

I was privileged to meet her at a book signing. It was just a few days after the big Quake in SF in...'89? The basement at Macy's, where she was promoting a new book.

First, she did a demo, making Pissaladiere. Everything was prepped for her, except for the parmesan, which was handed to her in a hunk, along with a grater. She quite forcefully spoke up "You mean you expect me to stand here and grate all this cheese by hand? I'm 84 years old, I don't have time for that! We're here in the kitchenware department, for heaven sakes! Get me a Cuisinart!"

One was promptly taken off the shelf and set up for her. And although I don't remember what she did, she did do something unusual to the machine, muttering about the design flaw!

When it came time for the signing, I got in line, clutching my well-worn, stained, and earthquake crunched paperback copy of one of the books from her cooking show 15 years before (French Chef). I was afraid I'd be booted for not buying her new book, but I had learned to cook from her on those shows, and wanted that book signed. When I got up to the front, she saw the book and smiled at me, saying "Well, now, this looks well used, doesn't it". I don't remember exactly what I said, but I tried to tell her that she taught me to cook, and inspired me for my whole life in that regard.

I'm so glad to have that signed book, it's a treasure.

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

"Your table is Ready Julia. And she was led through a most beautiful dining room to her table where her beloved Paul welcomed her with a emptyless glass of the finest white burgundy.....and they will dance, and dine, and love under a glistening shower of stars....forever to be together again."

Now that made me cry... :sad:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

"Your table is Ready Julia. And she was led through a most beautiful dining room to her table where her beloved Paul welcomed her with a emptyless glass of the finest white burgundy.....and they will dance, and dine, and love under a glistening shower of stars....forever to be together again."

Now that made me cry... :sad:

With all respect to SmokyT, I liked yours better Katie. That is to say, yours is the one that makes me want to weep each time I read it.. :sad:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Tears must like company.

I, too, treasure meeting her at a book signing many years ago. I've met celebrities, but no one has ever had me in awe like she did. Warm, gracious, funny, and not just a little pleased to see the very long line of women and men, young and old, waiting to meet her.

Tomorrow night, we'll be making a 50th birthday dinner for a friend at a cooking school. Toasts will be made. And at least one of them will be to Julia. For so much.

As nice as she was, you can bet that she expected things to be done right. I remember Emeril doing a cooking bit with her perched on a chair next to him, and he was doing his traditional ingredient dump - Imagine this in rapidfiredelivery

"Salt." Dump. "Fresh pepper." Dump. "Onion." Dump. "Cilantro."

"I don't like cilantro."

Putting the little cup aside, "The cilantro is optional" and continues the recipe.

Supposedly cilantro was the only thing she didn't like.

And once again, she didn't drop a chicken or a swordfish or a side of beef. It was a potato pancake. :raz:

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

"Dining with one's friends and beloved family is certainly one of life's primal and most innocent delights, one that is both soul-satisfying and eternal,"

- Julia Child

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Last summer, my guy brought home a copy of one of her cookbooks for me, the one which compiled all of her PBS show menus. I noticed that Julia had autographed it and I spent the next twenty minutes dancing around the house exclaiming: "Julia Child touched this book! She touched this book! No, see, Julia Child touched MY book!"

Supposedly cilantro was the only thing she didn't like.

A woman after my own heart. :biggrin:

I've always admired her. I wrote a short paper about her in leadership class last year. The paper didn't do well, but I don't care. I still think she qualifies as a great leader.

a truly great lady; I wonder which newscast will catch Jacques Pepin for his comments. I enjoyed their chemistry on the PBS show as much for Julia's spirit as his courtly manner, and wound up sitting in my closet looking at their blue and yellow book for a bit this afternoon, sniffling like an idiot.

Julia opened the door to me. It was because of watching her show way back when and reading her books that I decided to cook for a living. The captain has left the ship, but she has left it well informed. A toast to a culinary friend. We will miss you. :sad:

Obituary from todays New York Times

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Hey, I just found the transcript from her Larry King interview. Didn't know that was available. Lots of good reading here.

Larry King's interview of Julia Child Aug 15, 2002

KING: Do you think much, when you're 90, about dying?

CHILD: Maybe I never will, I don't know.

KING: I mean, do you think about it?

CHILD: No. Do you?

heh heh. Quite a lady.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

My second "Grandmother" has now passed. :sad: First Kate Hepburn...now Julia. I am so happy to have "known" her all my life...from childhood, to now. I, too, met her at a book signing--in Boston. I was so nervous and excited and when the time came, I called her "Mrs. Child." :unsure: It just seemed more respectful somehow! I wore my new culinary school chef's jacket, and she wished me well. Then I asked her to sign a copy of "The French Chef" that I'd brought with me. My Mom's first cookbook. She was impressed at how worn it looked. In case I didn't get a chance to talk to her, I had also written her a card that expressed my heartfelt thanks at how many years of joy and education she'd given me, and I left it with her assistant after I said goodbye to her. Then...I went to the ladies' room at Copley Plaza and cried. For joy. I was so happy to have met her. A couple weeks later...a letter from Julia came. Thanking me for my card, and encouraging my move from corporate life to "food life." Like I said...she was like a part of me, and my family. My Dad just adored her. She'll never be dead to me. I just decided that. :smile:

Hey, I just found the transcript from her Larry King interview. Didn't know that was available. Lots of good reading here.

Larry King's interview of Julia Child Aug 15, 2002

I remember King's interview with Julia wherein he asked about how she enjoyed the new living in California .. now I see that her sister lived nearby .. anyway she talked about the "In and Out" burgers and how she enjoyed them .... and she said she always ate breakfast in the dining room of this residence ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

On the Jim Lehrer Weekly News Hour on PBS, Jacques Pepin will be doing a tribute to Julia ... momentarily ... and before they sign off at 6:50 p.m. August 13, 2004

Just saw it .. Pepin was terrific in his reminiscences and PBS pulled some good clips of her ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

And once again, she didn't drop a chicken or a swordfish or a side of beef. It was a potato pancake. :raz:

Really, then I must be remembering something totally different.

I do recall an episode with a potato pancake or maybe it was a rostii, but wasn't the show in color by then?

The episode I recall was right at the beginning of the second season, they now had an overhead mirror to show what was happening in the pots and pans and it made her look left-handed and it looked like her pinned on insignia was on the wrong size.

An uncooked chicken slid off a platter.

The next show was the one where she had the three big fish, actually medium, large and huge, lined up on the counter and used her knife to point out the various parts of the fish. I thought the camerman was a little twitchy during that episode.

On another episode she held a large fish up in the air with both hands and mimed it swimming. She didn't drop it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I wonder which newscast will catch Jacques Pepin for his comments.

Chef Pepin did something like 30 interviews today. As sad as it is for the rest of us, imagine having the media descending on you like vultures on top of it.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

:sad::sad::sad:

Chef told us during lunch service today...

we all just stoped to give her a moment of silence and

put our heads down...

Of course the backwaiter was looking at us like we where crazy...

I bake there for I am....

Make food ... not war

Thank god for Julia's wonderful love for food.. be it classic french cooking or a fish taco!

My IACP memories of Julia are also one of a generous, nice woman....but isn't that what food should really be about.. nurishing ones heart and soul as well as feeding hunger.

MERCI!

a truly great lady; I wonder which newscast will catch Jacques Pepin for his comments. I enjoyed their chemistry on the PBS show as much for Julia's spirit as his courtly manner, and wound up sitting in my closet looking at their blue and yellow book for a bit this afternoon, sniffling like an idiot.

You too, huh? I have it on my lap as I type, sniffling away. I never met her but I feel that I know her. Such was her magic. Her life was magic. Her love was magic. How else could she have touched as many lives as she did. I truly believe that she is dancing with her beloved Paul at the eternal feast. But she will get in there and direct the proper cooking of the duck. Heaven is truly blessed. :laugh::wub:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

This woman, as one reviewer wrote, introduced Americans to cassolet. (to the American casserole tribe.) This great lady from my town , whom I rubbed shoulders with, will be greatly missed.

P.S. Tonight on our local PBS, Pepin called her, "An Anti=snob."

Edited by cigalechanta (log)

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

Had to post a goodbye to a great baker and a great lady. Loved her stuff, loved her attitude. Really gonna miss what she brought to the table.

...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce it tastes alot more like prunes than rhubarb does. groucho