• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Julia Child--In Memoriam

adegiulio

Julia gave more to more people than can be counted or conceivd of.

I mourn her passing, gladdened that she was ever here at all.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Julia Child, the grande dame of U.S. television cooking shows and books, has died aged 91, her publisher said on Friday.

Alfred A. Knopf said in a statement she died in her sleep on Thursday at her Santa Barbara, California, home.

It's a great loss, but I can hardly call it sad when someone dies at 92, presumably of natural causes, after living as full a life as hers. Bless her soul. I'll be celebrating her life tonight by cooking from several of her books.

The truest grande dame of U.S. television cooking shows and books... a real classic and a personal inspiration, Julia Child ... your memory lives on in the gifts you gave all of us. You have our deepest gratitude.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

For those of us who love food, today is a day of mourning.

Might I suggest that tonight when eating dinner we all raise a glass of wine to her memory.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

In a world full of people who wake up, go home, and have no impact on the world around them this woman was a giant. She lived a very full and rich life that greatly impacted and benefited others. If the goal here is to leave a permanent postive mark on the world before you leave it, her life was a stunning success.

Rest peacefully.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

"A little butter never hurt anyone."

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

"Butter makes it better...," so said she.

It doesn't make this day any easier. Glasses and forks are raised around the world today in honor of a woman who taught us all to love the experience of preparing and sharing good food.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

Besides her television show, and the way as a young firl I followed her cookbooks through the ins and outs of souffle making and crepe layering, duck roasting and chicken carving, the thing I'll remember Julia Child for was her kindness and warmth.

She was so kind and warm when I met her and over the years would drop a line about this and that. I had no idea how on earth she remembered me.

So very very sad to leave the planet even at such an advanced age, with so many people wanting to keep you here. When my grandmother died at a similar age not long ago, i was touched to my deepest heart to see the people whose lives she had touched.

And how many lives did Julia touch? How many people did she make happy, or give them the tools to make themselves happy (ie to cook well). I mean, to leave behind so many good feelings and waves of happiness that run through so many people--generations--, hers was certainly a life for us all to celebrate having existed.

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

I'm here on vacation in Idaho -- the people I am staying with are upstairs asleep so I was flipping the TV and saw the flash. Immediately broke out in tears. Had to find my hosts' computer to sign-in and be with my eG friends.

Am more sad that I can say and heartened by being able to share. Will cherish my avatar all that much more.

Although she never knew it, Julia was my first - and is still my favorite - culinary instructor. A sad day for all who love good food, and good folks. We'll raise a glass to her tonight. Actually, probably several glasses, as she would have liked.

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

I just heard the news driving in my car and burst into tears.

I feel like my grandmother died.

Thank you Julia, for teaching me so much.

Dinner will be good tonite in heaven.

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

So very sad.

Fortunately I still have a standing date with her every Saturday on my local PBS: with Master Chefs, with Jacques and Baking.

The past several weeks she has made me smile so, railing on about tuna packed in water and looking rather pained when Jacques always insists on using black pepper instead of white.

She was a real treasure...thanks for all you've given us Julia.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.