• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Louisville Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

nerissa

As to the pronunciation, isn't it "Louie" - miniscule pause -"Ville"?

Althought to think of it, I've also heard it said more like "Lou"-"ville", real fast and all together like that.

Forget it. We need a native. :blink:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Probably to distinguish the people who mumble from the people who don't? To take in oxygen?

I don't bloody know. Why do some people pause between "Chi" and "cago" and some people don't?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

LOO-uh-vul is how natives (usually) pronounce it. Some places you should consider hitting include:

Lynn's Paradise Cafe (eclectic cuisine with an emphasis on eggs/brunch)

Lilly's (fine dining)

Mike Linnig's (fried fish)

Science Hill (actually in Shelbyville) (fine Southern Dining)

Chick Inn (which I heard burned down but may be rebuilt by now, for fried chicken)

Genny's Diner and Pub (for a 1.3 lb triple decker burger but nothing else in the place is worth ordering))

Impellizeri's (for Louisville's best Pizza)

Vince Staten's (for BBQ especially the baby back ribs and banana pudding)

Ramsi's Cafe on the World (for world cuisine with a slight leaning toward middle east cuisine, but try their Jamaican Chicken Sandwich)

The above should get you started. I have more recs if no one else chimes in. It is a great eating town.

Haggis, did you used to live in Louisville or something. I have some minor quibbles with your suggestions, but overall those are all pretty good choices. Lynn's has really fallen off in quality in the last couple years, and I am not crazy about the Impellizeri's style of pizza. I like Luigi's.

Louisville can be pronounced so many different ways that there is some stupid t-shirt with all of the different pronunciations listed.

I say Looey-ville. Most say Lou-uh-ville, like they have a mouth full of marbles. No one says Lewis-ville.

I already PM'd Nerissa with a list of where to go, but I will throw out a few here.

Fine Dining: Le Relais, Oakroom, Equus, Jack Fry's, English Grill, Club Grotto, Asiatique,

Ethnic: Vietnam Kitchen, Santa Fe, Saffron, Babylon, Mayan Gypsy, Sala Thai

Southern: Science Hill, The Cottage, Pats Steakhouse, Chick Inn is being rebuilt as we speak, Colonade,

Cool and casual: Jicama Grill, Palermo Viejo, Le Beaujolais, August Moon, Come Back Inn

Pizza: Luigi's, Impellizeri's, Queenie's, Bearno's,

Oysters: Mazzoni's, Flabby Devines, Checks

Haggis, did you used to live in Louisville or something.

I have close family there, and have spent many weeks at a time visiting over the years. I have actually been to all of your additional suggestions save for Flabby Devines, in fact most places more than once. What I truly love about the eating scene there is that it is very manageable, meaning you can try all the places that you feel you should try, plus have room to work in ones you know you probably shouldn't. Though a Native New Yorker, I've barely made a dent in my "to eat" list here, whereas most of Louisville's places have been notched off my list.

Re: Impellizzeri's - I have seen that you enjoyed DiFara during your recent trip to NYC, and though it may not be 100% accurate to call that a delicate style of pizza, I think you could almost say it is. Impellizzeri's is the exact opposite - dense, chewy, loaded with cheese and toppings, and maybe not to a lot of folks' style, but the strength of the ingredients outweigh the indelicate nature of the pie, in my opinion. I have been eating DiFara pizza for over 8 years, now, ever since a good friend's brother moved to Midwood and he reported back to me how good it was. There is no question it's a lot tastier than any pizza offered in Louisville or most any other city. I do enjoy Impellizzeri's pie as a completely different style of pizza, though.

You're right about Lynn's slagging off. I remember when the portions were truly gargantuan, and now they are merely huge, which would be ok, but I have been told that they hired a managing group to improve efficiency, and quality has suffered somewhat. Still a great place for a plate of eggs, I think.

Unfortunately, I can't make it to Louisville for Derby this year, but I am going to make some homemade Benedictine and Beer Cheese to snack on while watching it on TV.

Haggis, you are exactly correct regarding the difference between DiFara's and Impellizeri's.

Sorry you can't make it in for Derby. Things are already in full swing around here, and I dont foresee getting much accomplished at the office this week. I do foresee some three hour "lunches" at Churchill Downs. :wink:

Enjoy your benedictine, and let me know next time you are down this way.

• 4 weeks later...

20-year "Lou-a-vull" resident here. I'm the chef/innkeeper at a B&B in the historic homes part of town, near the university.

I agree with most of Ron's suggestions, although it should probably be pointed out that Le Beaujolais recently closed.

One restaurant i would add would be Winston's at the culinary school at Sullivan University. I send my guests there pretty often for dinner, and get consistently positive comments about it. Actually, i suspect nerissa might have been a recent guest of mine, since she put me onto this site in the first place. If so...thanks, nerissa!

~zilla

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

20-year "Lou-a-vull" resident here.  I'm the chef/innkeeper at a B&B in the historic homes part of town, near the university.

I agree with most of Ron's suggestions, although it should probably be pointed out that Le Beaujolais recently closed.

One restaurant i would add would be Winston's at the culinary school at Sullivan University.  I send my guests there pretty often for dinner, and get consistently positive comments about it.  Actually, i suspect nerissa might have been a recent guest of mine, since she put me onto this site in the first place.  If so...thanks, nerissa!

~zilla

Hey Zilla,

We are neighbors as I live over on that court where they have that little art show every October. :wink:

Yeah, I found out about Le Beaujolais right after I posted that. Its a shame because I really liked that place. Great country French. Oddly, even though I have eaten at every good restaurant in Louisville, I have never eaten at Winstons because of a few bad reports. I will give it try now.

Have you heard anything about the new Central Park Cafe that is opening over on Ormsby? Its supposed to open soon.

Which B&B is yours? My office is also in the neighborhood over on 4th street.

Well, i'll soon graduate from Sullivan, so i get to keep an eye on the food quality at Winston's. My advanced techniques class is held in there twice a week, and although i'm sort of tired of their menu, i will say again that my guests seem to always enjoy it.

The B&B in question isn't "mine", i'm just an indentured servant there ;) - The Columbine, near the corner of third and Lee.

Haven't heard any scuttlebutt about the Central Park Cafe. Here's hoping the staff doesn't dress in Shakespearian costume (for non-Louisvillians, Central Park is our local Shakespeare in the Park venue).

Ron, i sent some guests of mine that were architecture buffs around your way last Sunday, they were duly impressed with the buildings in your "area".

Let me know when you want to go to Winston's and i'll make sure you get properly taken care of!

Edited by zilla369 (log)

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

• 4 weeks later...

I stumbled upon this site while searching for Ramsi's. Hello all. Nothing like reviving a thread.

I would add Tony BoomBozz to the pizza list, as their signature pizzas are top drawer, and you can get GARLIC as a topping.

For sushi I recommend Sapporo. For a truly unique, "diner" experience, try Juanita's. <giggle>

I cannot recommend Ramsi's and Santa Fe enough.

A recent discovery of mine is Haveli, a new Indian cuisine establishment. Vegetable Samosa, chicken curry (medium hot, if you don't mind your nose running a bit). The Tandoori chicken is excellent as well. We had to get another dish of mint sauce, as it accompanies everything so well. The onion sauce is chasing it's heels on the taste scale. I wasn't impressed with the garlic nan, while the spinach nan was delectable. I enjoyed the chicken soup, though my companion wasn't impressed. A thick broth with tomato(?) and pieces of tandoori chicken, settled at the bottom.

Wick's pizza is excellent as well. A step down from Impellizzeri's on the thickness/chewiness (Chewbacca?) scale. I am a fan of their cajun, bbq chicken sandwich.

vV

Had a really fantastic meal at Le Relais...thanks Ron for recommending it.l

I loved eating in an old clubby room and then walking to the bathroom to be back in the airport. Had excellent service... the duck in ice grape reduction was one of the more memorable meals I had in May. My BF was very impressed with their pate, which they made on-site.

• 1 year later...

I will admit that I have not had a chance to try it yet, but I have heard good things about Lynn's Paradise Cafe. My aunt ate there and really enjoyed it and I have read positive things about it in Southern Living magazine, as well.

Most welcome. My stepdaughter and son-in-law live in Louisville and we're down there twice a year for a visit and my can't-get-them-from-here bourbon round-up. We'll be there the first week of October for a fall visit and IBMA (International Bluegrass Music Association) Trade show and Fan Fest.

This little joint is pretty eclectic and off the wall and good:

Ramsi's Cafe

1293 Bardstown Road

(502) 451-0700

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

• 2 months later...

marinade, thanks for robin garr! i get the wine newsletter but didn't know about the restaurant guide. going to louisville this weekend and just started my research. also, got john mariani's newsletter today and there is a whole article on dining in louisville. predictably, it focuses on high end dining but he does mention lynn's paradise cafe

http://www.johnmariani.com/041031/

i have to admit, i'm a bit surprised not to find personal recommendations from egulleters living/eating in Louisville??? are there no egulleters in Louisville???

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse