• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Louisville Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

nerissa

marinade, thanks for robin garr!  i get the wine newsletter but didn't know about the restaurant guide.  going to louisville this weekend and just started my research.  also, got john mariani's newsletter today and there is a whole article on dining in louisville.  predictably, it focuses on high end dining but he does mention lynn's paradise cafe

http://www.johnmariani.com/041031/

i have to admit, i'm a bit surprised not to find personal recommendations from egulleters living/eating in Louisville???  are there no egulleters in Louisville???

Oh, there's at least one, but she just started a new job recently. I hope to get together with her on Friday afternoon/evening; if you're around, want to join us? :biggrin:

By any chance, are you going for the WCR conference? If so, whether or not we get together on Friday, we'll have to meet (especially since you said elsewhere that you worked at Bayard's, :wub: right?)

And here I am!

There are tons of lovely places to eat in Louisville. Robin Garr's website is, truly, the best place to start researching them if you're from out of town.

My (independent, non-chain) suggestions:

Pricey:

Oakroom at the Seelbach

Vincenzo's

Limestone

Le Relais

610 Magnolia

Equus

Mid-Range Fine Dining:

Jack Fry's

Club Grotto

L&N Wine Bar (they have a Cruvinet!)

North End Cafe

Porcini

Jarfi's Bistro (i'm pastry/catering chef there)

Lynn's Paradise - i would say that the food quality at Lynn's has declined just slightly in the last few years, but it's well worth going just for the ambience. It's kooky, kitschy fun)

Avalon

The Patron

Ethnic:

Ramsi's Cafe on the World

Havana Rumba

El Mundo

Asiatique

Olmeca's Gourmet Mexican Grill

Los Aztecas

Heh. That oughta keep y'all busy. Links to reviews of all can be found at Robin Garr's Louisville Restaurant Guide.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

We were in Louisville the beginning of October and we stumbled on Saffron's Mediterrean Cusine around 2nd and Market.

click...

It's not Med-Rim but Iranian with a decent wine list and great rack of lamb. Normally when we're on the road we tend to eat local (their local) not global, but this was close to the hotel. We were nicely surprised.

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

• 10 months later...

My husband and I are going to see a band play in Louisville, KY on Thursday and we were hoping for suggestions for dinner. We love pretty much any kind of food, and money isn't a problem, so fancy or down home or ethnic are all fine.

Any ideas? Where do you go on special occasions? Or when showing guests the town?

My husband and I are going to see a band play in Louisville, KY on Thursday and we were hoping for suggestions for dinner.  We love pretty much any kind of food, and money isn't a problem, so fancy or down home or ethnic are all fine.

Any ideas?  Where do you go on special occasions?  Or when showing guests the town?

So sorry I missed this thread, amccomb.

Where did you end up going? I'm curious.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello again!

When I started this thread last time, we ended up just eating in the car because we didn't see any recommendations. So, I'm asking again!

This time we're going to see Tom Waits on a Monday. Looks like several places are closed on Mondays. Any recommendations for either good ethnic food of any variety, or a top notch gourmet place? Money is no object - we just got paid. :biggrin:

I wish I had some really great recommendation for you, but unfortunately, most of my time in Louisville is usually spent attending conventions and I am usually with people who want to stick close to the convention center area for meals. However, I did stumble on the following website that has tons of reviews for Louisville restaurants. There are lots that I would love to try, but unfortunately, I'm four hours away from Louisville! Hope this helps some and let us know if you find someplace great!

www.louisvillehotbites.com

I was just in Louisville a few days ago, so here goes . . .

Lynn's Paradise Cafe is a fun spot with very good food.

Also, you should order a 'Hot Brown' at the place where they were invented, The Brown Hotel.

I was only there for a day, otherwise I'd have more ideas for you.

=R=

Edit: A big thanks to eGS member zilla369 for initially giving me these great suggestions.

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I have heard great things about Lynn's Paradise Cafe but can not recommend personally. We had a wonderful meal at the Dining Room (the Oak Room?) at the Selbach but it was several years ago. Some one just did a big article on Louisville. It might have been Southern Living (unfortunately you can not trust their dining recommendations). If I find it I will report.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Sorry to have been asleep at the wheel and just caught this thread but this restaurant totally blew us away the last time we were there Proof on Main. It had more of an eclectic menu last spring and now it seems to have a "Tuscan" bend to it this time around. They do make their own charcuterie on premises. The unit looks like a Sub-zero with a glass door. They are able to control the temperature and air circulation on consistant basis with it. Cool looking joint with a museum and hotel attached. Here's my Louisville food source: Louisville Hot Bites. While you're there, try to tap into Bourbon's Bistro.. That's where my son-in-law and I hang out when we want to benchmark bourbon before we head out to Party Mart to stock-up. The flights are fun, but don't think about driving if you're into multiples.

Enjoy.

Jim Tarantino

Ten Speed Press

• 2 weeks later...
Hello again! 

When I started this thread last time, we ended up just eating in the car because we didn't see any recommendations.  So, I'm asking again!

This time we're going to see Tom Waits on a Monday.  Looks like several places are closed on Mondays.  Any recommendations for either good ethnic food of any variety, or a top notch gourmet place?  Money is no object - we just got paid.  :biggrin:

Am I too late?

I have lived here a couple years and find it a great town for restaurants. One of my favorites for ethnic food is Vietnam Kitchen - the mock duck is my favorite. In a strip mall in the "south end," very inexpensive.

The best hummus I've ever had is at El Wattan. They also have yummy falafel sandwiches.

Lynn's is where I take all my out of town guests, the sweet potato fries are wonderful.

I suggest driving down Bardstown Rd and following your nose. :wink:

Edited by trufflelover (log)

Hello again! 

When I started this thread last time, we ended up just eating in the car because we didn't see any recommendations.  So, I'm asking again!

This time we're going to see Tom Waits on a Monday.  Looks like several places are closed on Mondays.  Any recommendations for either good ethnic food of any variety, or a top notch gourmet place?  Money is no object - we just got paid.   :biggrin:

Am I too late?

I have lived here a couple years and find it a great town for restaurants. One of my favorites for ethnic food is Vietnam Kitchen - the mock duck is my favorite. In a strip mall in the "south end," very inexpensive.

The best hummus I've ever had is at El Wattan. They also have yummy falafel sandwiches.

Lynn's is where I take all my out of town guests, the sweet potato fries are wonderful.

I suggest driving down Bardstown Rd and following your nose. :wink:

I agree with the suggestion of heading out Bardstown Road in the Highlands area.

Lots of great eateries and eclectic bars.

Among the restaurants you might consider are Lynn's Paradise Cafe, especially for breakfast.....Lilly's...Pat's Steak House and Vincenzo's. The Oak Room in the Seelbach Hotel downtown is a terrific upscale restaurant. There are others, but those come immediately to mind.

• 1 month later...

I ate incredibly well at Ceviche, which, as the name suggests, has lots of types of ceviche, as well as other Latin-inspired food. And just down the road, Palermo Viejo is an amazingly good Argentine restaurant, one of the best I've been to in the States. In fact, there are a number of places on Bardstown Road that look good.

I've eaten in the upscale dining room at the Brown Hotel, and it was also quite tasty; the Brown is far and away my favorite place to stay when I'm in town.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump. Colleagues and I will be in town for business. I have two dinners to arrange- one small one on a Friday night, one for a much larger (10 or so people) on a Sunday night. Not too formal, within walking distance of the convention area if possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated- thanks!

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

If you like lamb I'd head over to Saffron's. . It's refined Persian cuisine. Then there's Proof on Main if you can get in. BTW, the links will get you into Robin Garr's Lousiville Hot Bites which will get you into some other good places. If you're cabbing I'd also rec. Bourbon's Bistro (bourbon list) for a nightcap.

Enjoy, my wife and I will be heading into Louisville next weekend and we'll be hitting on Proof and BB.

Jim

Jim Tarantino

Ten Speed Press

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I missed this thread. But for future interest, some of my favorites (a couple already noted):

Seviche, on Bardstown Road (one of my very favorite restaurants)

Kashmir, on Bardstown (a pretty good Indian restaurant in a town that doesn't do much of this)

L&N Wine Bar and Bistro, Mellwood Avenue (another favorite place, especially for enjoying good food with a good wine list)

The Oak Room, at the Seelbach Hotel downtown on Fourth Street (fabulous, and fabulous wines)

The English Grill, at The Brown Hotel, on Broadway and Fourth (ditto)

Vincenzo's, on Fifth Street (a good, expensive Italian restaurant)

And one I've yet to try but gets uniformly rave reviews:

Lilly's, on Bardstown Road

I've heard wonderful things about Proof, noted above, as well, and also Bourbon's Bistro.

But it's true that if you simply drive to the Highlands area on Bardstown Road, you can park and walk a block and find a good restaurant.

• 1 year later...

I am a cook and culinary student who will be traveling to Louisville, KY this weekend for the Lebowski Festival and will be in KY friday through sunday and i am looking for some information on good places to eat, i need restaurants of all types and price ranges, also any bars with large beer selections would be much appreciated. And of course a greasy spoon where that the locals only know about would be great for some good hang over food. Anyway thanks in advance for any possible leads.

• 2 weeks later...

during my trip i had dinner at Lilly's and must say it was very good. Their Hot Brown was excellent and the service was good. the atmosphere was very eclectic which was pretty cool. I also ate at Blueridge Brewery, their beer was very good and the service was fine but the food was pretty bad. I also ate at Cumberland brewery the beer was mediocre and the food was terrible. We stopped in for a quick snack and some beer and ordered their porter cheese dip it was cheeze wiz with port beer mixed into it served with Ritz crackers... this is not an exaggeration. That would have been fine except it was $6.00. We also went by Browning's Brewery to try out their beers I didn't get a chance to eat there though. The beers were great especially the IPA and we got a Growler there full of their ESB it lasted almost a week unopened without going stale!!! And the server behind the bar was great she even put our growler on ice for us! Anyway thanks for the tips.

Sorry I need to make a correction it was not Blueridge Brewery it was Bluegrass Brewery. Blueridge Brewery is in Greenville SC. A side note to this post is that if you are ever in Greenville and are a beer lover swing by Blueridge Brewery they gave us a tour and let us hang out with them for a while great beers also.