• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Conrad Gallagher leaves London

• 7 months later...

The James Beard Calendar newsletter for October 2002 notes the following: "Dublin's original celebrity chef Conrad Gallagher -- who managed to lose his entire restaurant empire in his native Ireland due to a panoply of problems -- has set up a kitchen in Midtown[, New York]. His new spot, Traffic, is an upscale lounger that attracts a velvet-rope crowd. Expect classic cuisine like foie gras terrine." :hmmm:

Given Gallaghers "problems" which are a matter of record, and the massive pool of chef talent in New York, why would anybody take such a risk with him? I don't think his name by itself is worth that many bums on seats in NY. Anybody have any idea who is bank rolling the venture?

why would anybody take such a risk with him?

Andy -- I'd agree. I do not have a sense that Gallagher is known to too many NY diners. :blink: It's sad, but my suspicion is that not that many NY diners know even about Roger Verge, affiliated with Medi in NY (level of cuisine not yet evaluated). :hmmm:

...It's sad, but my suspicion is that not that many NY diners know even about Roger Verge, affiliated with Medi in NY (level of cuisine not yet evaluated).  :hmmm:

Is that the Moulins de Mougins guy? He must be hitting his 70's...how involved is he meant to be ?

Andy -- I'd agree. I do not have a sense that Gallagher is known to too many NY diners.  :blink:

FWIW I ate at Gallagher's Peacock Alley in the first location on South William Street in Dublin. It was far and away the best meal I had in 3+ years living in Ireland.

I have only heard sporadic stories of his problems, but as I recall he was only about 21 when he opened the first Peacock Alley. Maybe a case of too much, too soon. It's a shame.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Rumours and stories abound about Mr Gallagher, but he keeps bouncing back. Given his history, having a mid-town Manhatten restaurant in which to ply his trade is pretty good going by my estimation, so maybe not so much of a shame. The luck of the Irish maybe.

• 1 month later...

from the grapevine...the latest is that Gallagher ditched his court appearance in Dublin, and that he has married an American (green card, anyone? I should know :-) He claimed that leaving the US would l jeopardise his chances of citizenship (I guess an arrest warrant from another country isn't a serious enough barrier to entry). I thought people on the run from the law moved to South America, I guess it's just America now...? Stay tuned...

Rumours and stories abound about Mr Gallagher, but he keeps bouncing back. Given his history, having a mid-town Manhatten restaurant in which to ply his trade is pretty good going by my estimation, so maybe not so much of a shame. The luck of the Irish maybe.

Why are the Irish lucky ?