• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

grilling fish for the first time

hollis

Well, what kind of fish do you have and how did you want to grill it? (Sometimes I do whole fish like trout, other times cut servings of salmon or tuna--they require different techniques)

first, you will want to grill on a screen, if you have one that you use as a splatter gaurd, that would be good. If youdont have one then use some chicken wire wrapped around the fish, otherwise when you go to flip the fish/move it off the grill it will fall apart.

Some people say the glass is half empty, others say it is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Ben Wilcox

benherebfour@gmail.com

What kind of fish?

Skin on?

Skin off?

Whole Fish?

What kind of grill are you going to be working with?

Details! :wink::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Lots of oil on your medium hot grill. Or, like already suggested, a grate or basket. Otherwise, you will end up with good ole shredded fish tacos!

Oh, yeah...swab the oil on your grill with a clean towel, after it's gotten hot. You can also put your coals on 1 half of the grill, and your fish on the other side.

I created a fantastic rub for some freshly caught striped bass filets a few weeks ago, cooked using a fish basket on a gas grill, then repeated the following day on a hardwood lump charcoal-fueled Weber.

Into the food processor went several handfuls of the mint that grows profusely at Dad's house, a bunch of lemongrass he grows (it tastes similar to but isn't the thick-stalked type found in Asian markets; you could interchange them or use lemon zest and a splash of juice in a pinch), olive oil, salt, pepper and a heaping tablespoon of Dijon mustard.

I rubbed the filets liberally, let them sit for about 20 minutes then grilled over high heat. Some of the best fish I've ever tasted...

Mint pesto is also easy to make and works well for grilling, both as a rub and as a sauce on the side.