• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Market at the Glen & restaurant wine prices

whyknow

. . . the Market at the Glen is officially closed.

I stopped in there Sat 1/22 and it was obviously in its death throes, as staff was loading a lot of packaged products into large moving boxes. The good news (for me, anyway) was that all their wines, beers and deli products (including interesting cheeses) were 50% off. Much of the stock was rather well picked over, but I still came home with some great deals.

I stopped in there Sat 1/22 and it was obviously in its death throes, as staff was loading a lot of packaged products into large moving boxes. The good news (for me, anyway) was that all their wines, beers and deli products (including interesting cheeses) were 50% off. Much of the stock was rather well picked over, but I still came home with some great deals.

Now you tell us! :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

=R=

Well, I did post about it here

=R=

Well, I did post about it here

Too many boards, too little time. :biggrin:

Actually, I'm surprised I missed that. And I'm very glad that someone (hell, anyone) benefitted from their rapid demise. :wink:

=R=

Here's a link to the article in the Glenview  Announcements.. Seems like they were less than forthcoming with ther financial stuation:

Market Link

Thanks for the link, sapient.

Based on the flyers I saw taped to their doors Saturday (described upthread), this news isn't too surprising. It is, however, maddening, to have the suspicions confirmed.

Last Thursday, Keefer said, employees learned from their respective banks the paychecks they and about 30 other former employees had deposited a week prior had bounced.

Market Foods officials also notified them they would not be paid for their last two weeks of work.

"All the time they had us pack that store up" they knew the staff wouldn't be paid, an angry Keefer charged.

Seems like in a Chapter 11, the only folks who don't get reamed are the ones who drove the business into the ground in the first place. :angry:

=R=