• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you love in your chocolate centers?

I hate to admit it but I am enamoured with the chocolate covered cherries. You know... the ones with the liquid centers. It is a nostalgia thing. Many years ago, my dad would buy boxes of those things around Christmas.

After that... No nuts, please. Soft caramel is right up there. After that, a chocolate truffle type center.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I'm salivating at the thought of dark chocolate and peanut butter... yummmmy.

It's been a while since I've had one, but Godiva had a dark chocolate champagne truffle that was absolutely killer. If my memory serves me correctly, they also featured a strawberry shortcake truffle seasonally... but that just might be wishful thinking on my part.

What else. Macadamia nut clusters (need I say dark chocolate). Oh Lord, how could I have forgotten dark chocolate dipped strawberries... or tuxedo strawberries. Sure way to win my heart.

Just not cherries. Please, please, please, no cherries. Sorry fifi, but they set my gag reflex in motion.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Dark chocolate-covered dried Michigan cherries: Raisinettes® for grown-ups.

Grand Marnier ganache filling isn't bad, either.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I like odd centres. There's a chocolate shop here which does "gourmet" (wince) truffles, and I have tried, among other things, a chile truffle and a basil truffle, both of which were good.

I'm open to finding new things to like, but this is what I don't like:

Anything really stick-to-the-teeth-y -- I hate those hard/chewy British-style toffees covered in chocolate. Any way you bite them, they don't work; the chocolate peels off, and doesn't remain integral to the candy, then the candy gloms to your dentition in that annoying way.

Anything liquid that drips out of the candy. I don't put the whole thing in my mouth; I like to nibble. No liqueur centres, please, or drooly fondants or thin caramels.

Crunchy things and nuts aren't top on my list, but are occasionally good, so I won't exclude them. I do, however, find whole nuts of any kind annoying -- I think for the same reason as the drippy centres. If the heart of the candy is an entire hazelnut or almond or something, then it's that much harder to nibble your way round it and get a "fair" bite of everything each time. Also, as with the toffees, often if you try the chocolate will crack off randomly and flake down your cleavage to melt.

:blink::blink::blink:

Marzipan chocolates. jebus. They are all over in Germany. I made the mistake of taking one when it was offered to me around Christmas, at my in-laws' house. My f-i-l just loves them, so I felt like I should finish it so as not to be the one who wasted his chocolate. bleeeeeeeh.

I haven't seen them in Holland too often, but the Dutch have their own atrocities. Double salted licorice. :shock:

(and yep, I fully expect to see 5 people respond to this in defence of salted licorice and Mozart chocolates. I'm not listening, I'm not listening. nyah. :raz: )

Last week I finished a box of Oriol Belaguer chocolates. They had a gianduja filling with bits of corriander, cardamon, and praline that were outrageously good. (I didn't share them with anyone!!)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Last week I finished a box of Oriol Belaguer chocolates.  They had a gianduja filling with bits of corriander, cardamon, and praline that were outrageously good. (I didn't share them with anyone!!)

That good, huh? Are they available online? or only in NYC? advice, please, now that you have aroused my curiosity ... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Last week I finished a box of Oriol Belaguer chocolates.  They had a gianduja filling with bits of corriander, cardamon, and praline that were outrageously good. (I didn't share them with anyone!!)

That good, huh? Are they available online? or only in NYC? advice, please, now that you have aroused my curiousity ... :biggrin:

I think Fairway in NYC has an exclusive on them. Otherwise, you'll have to travel to Barcelona. I know, it's a tough choice. :raz:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Ick to raspberry. Never raspberry. Nasty. *spits on ground*

Caramel is nice, especially a somewhat salty caramel with a little hint of heat, maybe cayenne.

I'm a traditionalist. Carmel, peanut butter, and coconut are the tops in my list. Though I am intrigued by some of the citrus fillings I've had recently. And pretzels. I wonder about a chocolate filled hollow pretzel ala "Combos".

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

There is a company in St. Louis that makes a most incredible chocolate covered blackberry and it is only available for 4 weeks of the year and that time is coming up quicklyl Bissinger's is the place and I need to stop doing this and go order a couple of boxes before they run out. :biggrin:

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I have to second (or is it third) the caramel vote, but I think I'd also like a dark, dark chocolate filled with some sort of full-bodied red wine. If anyone knows of any purveyors of such a treat...

Custom Wine Truffles

Exotic Cabernet, Merlot and Zinfandel Chocolates

We hand make these special truffles from the finest Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Zinfandel wines! Try this assortment and experience a whole new world of wine and chocolate exploration.

We custom blend your favorite wine into truffles for your special event.

Call us and we'll discuss and price it out for you.

click image for more details wine truffles custom order more details

Item # 90

Assorted wine truffles made with your favorite wine!

You call us and we will custom make a batch.

Reg. Price $ 0 per lb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exotic Cabernet, Merlot and Zinfandel Chocolates

i couldn't get the link to copy but this is from www.jemanuel.com under wine truffles. they're fairly close to me. hmmmmmm i feel a field trip coming on.

as for me: fresh raspberries in dark, dark chocolate would be nice. :wub:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Fran's Chocolates makes these wonderful dark chocolates with caramel centers, and a little coarse salt sprinkled on top. Heavenly. :wub:

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

I like creamy centers if they're good quality and covered in dark chocolate. Godiva and Parisian chocolatiers have the right idea. I also like caramels. Raspberry is a hard flavor to get right, so I usually pass those by. I also like chocolate covered cherries.

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.