• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you love in your chocolate centers?

story on new chocolates

A Bristol chocolate maker has developed a range influenced by the flavours of the Orient and Caribbean. The range draws on flavours used in Thai, Kashmiri and Caribbean cooking to build on the success enjoyed by its chilli chocolate bars.

The new chocs include a Thai lemon grass and coconut one topped with pineapple, cashew nut and ginger and a Caribbean chilli and demerara chocolate, topped with mango, papaya and banana. The company will also manufacture a Kashmir chocolate with cinnamon and chilli topped with almonds and apricots.

That said, what do you like your chocolate to be filled with? There are liquid centers like liqueurs and even wine ... and the usual nuts of all types ... and now, in reading this article, I see that a company is using some very unique types of centers for its candies ... so let's hear from you on your preferences! :biggrin:

Note: they need not be actually produced yet so let your imaginations run rampant! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

MMMM, almond creme! :wub:

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

hazelnut cream, chewy molasses stuff, strawberry or raspberry cream, truffle centers, liquer centers, cherry cordials.

not particularly fond of nuts themselves tho. or vanilla fudge.

won't stop me from eating them,. but they're not my favorites. :)

the kashmiri and caribbeean ones sound good.

caramel

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Actually I prefer my chocolate to be filled with ... more chocolate!

Hey, you stole my witty answer, lol

Seriously though, i like chocolates that are filled with ganache. I also like raspberry jam in mine, homemade preferrably and not too thick.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

-Presiden Muffley, Dr. Strangelove

butterscotch creme, à la See's bordeaux.

Either that or just more chocolate! (dark, please)

YES! See's! Also I'd like to give a shout-out to See's peanut butter. Basically what it is is....peanut butter. And nothing else. Ok, probably sugar, and maybe preservatives, but it's obviously peanut butter, as opposed to some sort of peanut butter creme.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

Said it before, and I'll say it again: the raspberry filling that Godiva uses in its um... leaves? (help me out here, beans, I'm pretty sure you're the one who agreed with me!) gets me every damn time. It's been years since I've had one, but I can still conjure up the memories. mmmm.

Generally, though, I don't go for fruit fillings. Not the 'jellyfied' kind, anyway.

I'll vote for the peanut butter, too. What the heck. :cool:

Wait. I feel a spell coming on. It's like I'm possessed by the spirit of Jinmyo.

No chocolate. Steak.

Actually, although I'm FAR from anti-chocolate (witness the number of snack threads I've contributed to), I'm not sure I see the point of odd centers. The sugar is going to counteract most of the subtleties of those flavors anyway. Unless these are very bitter chocolates, which most people can't stand. It's like... Molé Poblano only works because sugar is pretty far down the list of ingredients usually. You can TASTE the chile, cinnamon, sesame, almonds and whatnot that are usually in it. But a confectioner is going to have this stuff swimming in sugar--and that's what you'll be tasting in one of these weird-ass chocolate bars.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Mmm, chocolate. W/ almonds or pecans or hazelnuts or walnuts or macadamias, maybe some caramel or peanut butter or toffee.

Mmm, chocolate.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Creamy raspberry or maple centers!

Whenever my parents got a big box of assorted chocolates from See's or Allen Wertz (sp?), I'd stick my little-finger nail up in the bottoms to find the ones I wanted so I wouldn't waste a choice on nuts or caramel.

Emily

I have to second (or is it third) the caramel vote, but I think I'd also like a dark, dark chocolate filled with some sort of full-bodied red wine. If anyone knows of any purveyors of such a treat...

at your service, my dear .... :biggrin:

then there are Boozy Bonbons :laugh:

Gifted Gourmet:

OH! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

A much better alternative to my awkward "take a bite of chocolate, slurp a bit of wine" habit I have now.

I'm not a huge Jack Daniel's fan, but those Boozy BonBons just might start me down that path...

I bet gin would be good, too. Or citrus-infused vodka. Is that going too far?

Edited by AnnieD (log)

Gifted Gourmet:

A much better alternative to my awkward "take a bite of chocolate, slurp a bit of wine" habit I have now.

I'm not a huge Jack Daniel's fan, but those Boozy BonBons just might start me down that path...

I rather doubt that it is possible with chocolate imbued with "spirits" that it is even possible to go too far ..

only the limits of your imagination should preclude any options .. go for it! :biggrin:

Pleased that you approved my choice of a "quick fix"! :laugh:

Gifted Gourmet:

Uhh... how is this a problem? :munch: :slurp:

My suggestions have already been stated. More chocolate, port (not specifically stated, but alluded to).

Actually, in regard to people saying candied orange peel, which in itself is quite lovely, I would lean toward candied lime or candied grapefruit rind. Those always seemed to be more able to go toe to toe with good, dark, bitterish chocolate--which is the most divine. :wub:

Edit to add my brainstorm: But, what I would like to see, is a concoction called "Cherry Bim" that I got from an anthropologist acquaintance. in a mason jar put 2 inches of cherries, 1 inch of sugar. Alternate at that rate to the top of the jar. Then, fill with bourbon or whiskey. Let sit for several months. THAT would be good in bittersweet chocolates.

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.