• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A mead brewing project

cdh

Well, I finally did something with my base mead! I split it into 4 different projects! I took one gallon and mixed it with some Rose Hip syrup I had, pretty color, hope the flavor and aroma stay evident.

Into a 3 gallon carboy I poured about a gallon of pear juice and pulp, and about a half gallon of apple cider that I mixed some additional honey into, and then racked the mead onto that. (Oh, and I put 3 crushed campden tablets into the must.)

Into another 3 gallon carboy, I racked my base mead and into that put 2 T each of coarsely crushed black pepper and grains of paradise. This "Black Pepper Mead" is a winner!

Into the remaining mead I added apple cider, apple and black currant juice and some elderflower syrup. We'll see...

I also made a wine from a chenin blanc kit, but the juice was oxidized so it finished more coppery brown in color, so it is my Chenin Brun! Tastes and smells good, just kinda...brown! I filled about 12 bottles, and still have almost 3 gallons remaining that I may add honey to to make into a mead/pyment.

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Sounding great, Bob!

I have a 6 lbs of honey sitting around now awaiting mead inspiration... maybe 2.5 gallons of your pepper mead might be the thing... One way or the other, I have to get it fermenting sometime soon. I still really like how the batch fermented with witbier yeast came out... maybe I'll use some of that to get it going.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 2 weeks later...

If it is not too much to ask, for reference, can one of you expert meaders post a recipe in RecipeGullet for mead? I enjoy these slow long projects that require very little effort and a base recipe would be great to start from at some point.

Oh, yes and some pictures of a finished mead would be great here too :smile:.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

May as well report in on the meady doings I've begun lately...

I ended up making a full 5 gallons, and I like my mead dry, so I shot for about 2 pounds of honey per gallon. I used 9 pounds of Trader Joe's Desert Mesquite and a pound or so) of 1976 vintage pitch black home-made Pennsylvania countryside wild honey from my parents' stock. I find that tea tannins play well in mead, but I didn't want to heat the honey up to black tea steeping temperatures, so I decided to use green tea instead. I heated 2.5 gallons of water up to 160 and added all the honey, which dropped it down to about 145. I added some green tea leaves to one of my honey cans and filled the can with the honey water and let it steep for 3 minutes and then strained the leaves out and put the liquid back in the pot. I repeated that procedure a couple more times, as these tea leaves produce multiple good infusions. I took a bit of the must and diluted it with cold water and added some yeast slurry to wake the yeast up and get them going a bit while the bulk of the must cooled down. I decided to repeat an earlier succesful experiment and used a belgian white beer yeast to ferment the mead.

After the bulk cooled down, I diluted it out to 5 gallons and added my yeast starter at 66F, and added in a teaspoon of urea and ammonium phosphate to feed the yeast. Then it went down to the basement to let the yeast do their thing.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I've heard mesquite makes for interesting meads Chris, be sure to keep us updated on how it progresses :)

I hope to get a Cyser going here soon with fresh pressed apple juice and sourwood honey along with cinnamon and nutmeg.

The black pepper mead OKbrewer posted also sounds intriguing. May give that a shot with some of the 2004 clover honey I have sitting around.

This is all very interesting and I really appreciate all the info/experiments. How do you know how much juice to add to your mead after the initial fermentation? are you mainly going by taste here or is there a more accurate scientific explanation?

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 2 years later...

I thought I would bump this thread up, since I've been musing about making mead myself these past few days.

A friend and I made maple syrup this year, and after a few weeks of labour ended up with about 35L of the good stuff. I'd love for some help developing a maple mead recipe. I've barely every tasted mead (maybe 1-2, and I think those were sparkling), and certainly never made it (although I've been making beer with the help of cdh's course).

I'm looking for a beverage that has a medium amount of body, and that will convey the aromatics/subtleties of our syrup.

Upthread, it seems like brewing batches as small as 1 gallon is a viable proposition, which would be ideal as I don't want to sacrifice too much of the maple syrup :) .

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

• 13 years later...

I wonder if any of the previous meads in this thread aged well and were heartily consumed?

I did a micro-batch of homemade mead, I wanted dry.  I also used a Belgian beer yeast. And a good quality honey.

It's been aging 8 months on now.

Boy, did I get dry, I mean acidic dry.

It's vinegar.   But mead vinegar is a very trendy item now, so chalk it up to experience.