• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen renovation

hshiau

when I mentioned some of the negative reports on Sub-Zero refrigerators, she said that they were fine and we shouldn't listen to consumers; rather we should speak to appliance distributors.

:blink::blink::blink::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

when I mentioned some of the negative reports on Sub-Zero refrigerators, she said that they were fine and we shouldn't listen to consumers; rather we should speak to appliance distributors.

:blink::blink::blink::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

yeah...my thoughts exactly.

• 3 weeks later...

Things have been moving kinda slowly. Not getting callbacks from contractors and also trying to enjoy the last bits of summer.

Interesting thing I just saw about Home Depot.

CUSTOMER COMPLAINTS

Go buy your hammers there if you must. But don't say we didn't warn

you if you decide to use any of their services.

- The company has an unsatisfactory rating from the Better Business Bureau.

- From a reader about the Long Island City HD: "The design they did

for our co-op is entirely wrong. Measured wrong. Cabinets ordered

wrong. Flooring wrong. Get my point? We later learned our neighbors

have been waiting four months for their cabinets and the contractor

said 'it's not unusual for Home Depot.'"

- And check out the voluminous list of complaints on the net.

Complaints range from delivery problems, inept design and

installations, and terrible customer service: consumeraffairs.com,

planetfeedback.com, thecomplaintstation.com.

- A contractor you get through Home Depot is almost certainly going to

be cheaper than an independent. But spend some time with the complaint

boards before you sign one up – penny wise, pound foolish and all

that. We'll run an article about reliable contractors in the next few

weeks, so if you have anyone you'd like to add to our list, please

email us.

Edited by hshiau (log)

• 1 month later...

Hi, after looking around a bit more, I've got a few more questions for those with experience.

1. Anyone have an opinion on thermofoil? I guess it's supposed to be very durable and looks kinda like melomine. But I've heard a bit on peeling and issues with heat.

2. Given the size of our kitchen, we're looking at possible the GE Profile GDS18SCRLSS refrigerator since it's only 31 in. wide and 30 3/8 in deep. Just saw on NYMETRO the Fisher & Paykel E522BLM. Anyone have any experience with either one of these?

Thanks in advance.

Howard

Interesting thing I just saw about Home Depot

I used to manage the kitchen department for two Home Depots. Trust me, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

1.  Anyone have an opinion on thermofoil?  I guess it's supposed to be very durable and looks kinda like melomine.  But I've heard a bit on peeling and issues with heat.

BWOOP BWOOP BWOOP - Please step away from the Thermofoil!

Thermofoil was at one time the #1 seller in many markets, driven almost completely by the cost-sensitive condo/multi-family market. The door is cheap, durable, scrubbable ... and peels lilke the skin on my forehead after a tequila induced nap on Playa del Carmen. Of the 5 or so manufacturers that were making thermofoil doors in our market-place in the late 80's early 90's, only 2 are left, and they've noth branched out into other products as well.

Peeling due to glue-failure is a big problem, as is melting when the doors are mounted next to ... say ... a self-cleaning oven. I personally will not sell them, partially because I don't think they look all that great (too plastic-y) but mostly for the reasons I mention above.

A.

Peeling due to glue-failure is a big problem, as is melting when the doors are mounted next to ... say ... a self-cleaning oven.  I personally will not sell them, partially because I don't think they look all that great (too plastic-y) but mostly for the reasons I mention above.

A.

That's exactly what I was worried about. We're in a NYC apartment and won't be able to vent so it's going to get hot in the kitchen. Hot, peeling, and yellow is definitely not the way to go.

Now, it's between wood and melamine...and finding a trustworthy cabinet place and contractor.

• 4 months later...

I'm back! After months and months of blowng it off, we're finally moving forward. We've picked a contractor and a cabinet place. We're trying to finalize the floor plan now.

Going with wood on the cabinets, plain doors, maple with a chestnut finish...probably. Granite countertops, granite floor, unsure of the backsplash.

GE Profile JGS968SHSS or Kitchen Aid KGSA906PS slide-in range.

GE Profile GDS18SBRLS or LG LRDN20724ST refrigerator. We're thinking the LG because it's a bit narrower but it's deeper by 3 inches. Any thoughts?

Bosch SHY56A05UC dishwasher.

I'll post the new layout (not too much different) as soon as I get a soft copy.